The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Twilight Zone?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
blwrjw
View Profile
Regular user
The Top of the Mountains
177 Posts

Profile of blwrjw
Don't have Sci-Fi, but have all the TZs on DVD so I've had a few marathons of my own. Hard to choose a favorite but the one that made me jump the most at just the right moment was Nightmare as a Child. She (the child) is talking to the school teacher and the camera leaves her (the child) while she continues talking. This is misdirection 'cause after she builds the tension with what she's saying the adult male killer is where she should have been.

B.
...before you go rushing off to show your friends a new field of miracles, you should get well acquainted with tools of the trade.
-- Tony Corinda

One can never have enough socks...
-- Albus Dumbledore
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20244 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Absolute favorite for me anyhow is the Burges Meridith episode where he is the librarian.

"It's not fair, there was time now", was the line I remember most I think.

I did like "To Serve Man" as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
My favorite: "The New Exhibit"
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I know it's not The Twilight Zone, but some of my favorite episodes were from the series "The Outer Limits", specifically, the old black & white episodes.

One really good one was the story where Leonard Nimoy (pre-Spock) goes into a nuclear furnace to shut down a runaway reaction and turns into some weird alien creature made of light energy.

As for Twilight Zone episodes, "Time Enough at Last" and "The Obsolete Man" were great.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-07-05 21:39, Dannydoyle wrote:
Absolute favorite for me anyhow is the Burges Meridith episode where he is the librarian.

"It's not fair, there was time now", was the line I remember most I think.

I HATED that story! I stopped watching TZ for weeks after that one!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
" Nick of Time" with William Shatner!!!!!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734597/
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1342 Posts

Profile of lynnef
My favorite: Kevin McCarthy (also in the original 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers') in "Long Live Walter Jameson", a 2,000 year old man who is a history professor.... naturally, since he remembered it. When I was 12 yrs old, I wrote a letter to Rod Serling about the special effects in this episode, and he wrote me back with an explanation!!! I understand Mr. Serling frequently replied to his fans! Lynn
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Interesting question about the twilight zone... What actor holds the record for staring in the most episodes? I am thinking it is the yet to be mentions Jack Klugman. Pool player, spaceship captain, Invisible man, and I think one more I am forgetting.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2016, Cliffg37 wrote:
Interesting question about the twilight zone... What actor holds the record for staring in the most episodes? I am thinking it is the yet to be mentions Jack Klugman. Pool player, spaceship captain, Invisible man, and I think one more I am forgetting.

Trumpeter
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1124 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2016, Slim King wrote:

Magoo's Mahic Shoppe in Denver has on of the napkin dispenser/fortune telling machines used in the episode. (Minus the devil head which was add on for the show). It's very cool to drop in coin and get your fortune ticket...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4821 Posts

Profile of landmark
Which was the one with the would-be boxer, Bollie Jackson I think was his name, and the young kid kept urging him on, telling him, "You gotta, believe, Bollie, You gotta, believe." This was of course way before any of the Rocky movies.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2016, imgic wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2016, Slim King wrote:

Magoo's Mahic Shoppe in Denver has on of the napkin dispenser/fortune telling machines used in the episode. (Minus the devil head which was add on for the show). It's very cool to drop in coin and get your fortune ticket...

I have "Ask Swami" which I've been told was the one they took the idea from. I also have a replica of the one from the TV show. I use it as my prediction dispenser.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2727 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2008, Decomposed wrote:
William Shatner with the Gremlin on the airplane wing.

John Lithgow played the character in the film version of the story which led to a great bit when Shatner appeared on "Third Rock From The Sun" as the "Big Giant Head."

SHATNER: I flew in one of their airplanes. There was something on the wing, but I couldn't get anybody to take me seriously!

LITHGOW: The same thing happened to me!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2008, Decomposed wrote:
William Shatner with the Gremlin on the airplane wing.

John Lithgow played the character in the film version of the story which led to a great bit when Shatner appeared on "Third Rock From The Sun" as the "Big Giant Head."

SHATNER: I flew in one of their airplanes. There was something on the wing, but I couldn't get anybody to take me seriously!

LITHGOW: The same thing happened to me!

Lithgow's not the only one with Deja Vu...

Quote:
On Jul 5, 2008, Skip Way wrote:
So hard to choose! My two episode favorites were "Once Upon a Time" and "One For the Angels" because they featured Buster Keaton and Ed Wynn.

My favorite "Twilight Zone" flashback came on "3rd Rock From the Sun" when John Lithgow meets Bill Shatner at the airport as "The Big Giant Head." Shatner begins describing this horrible thing that he saw on the wing of the plane. Lithgow jumps in, "The same thing happened to me!" Lithgow played Shatner's part in the 1983 movie remake of Shatner's 1963 episode. That moment was priceless!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4821 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2016, landmark wrote:
Which was the one with the would-be boxer, Bollie Jackson I think was his name, and the young kid kept urging him on, telling him, "You gotta, believe, Bollie, You gotta, believe." This was of course way before any of the Rocky movies.

Okay, it was "The Big Tall Wish." Wow, reading the plot summary brought back memories!

Quote:
Bolie Jackson is a washed-up boxer who accidentally breaks the knuckles of his hand right before his big comeback fight. He is knocked down and just about to be counted out when he suddenly, magically switches places with the other boxer. Bolie is now standing over his vanquished opponent.

Bolie celebrates his victory, though he cannot understand what happened. He remembers being knocked down and has no memory of getting back up to win, nor can he figure out why his knuckles feel fine. His manager tells Bolie that he must be crazy, that he was never knocked down at all. Bolie figures his knuckles must have only been bruised.

However, there is one other person who knows Bolie lost. Henry, the young son of Bolie's girlfriend, not only remembers, he also has an explanation for what happened. Henry tells Bolie that he made "the biggest, tallest wish" he could come up with for Bolie, for the two boxers to switch positions, and it came true.

Bolie cannot accept this. Henry warns him that the only way the wish can have its power is if you believe in it. If Bolie does not believe, the wish will not work. But ultimately he is unswayed. As soon as he finally rejects the idea that a wish could have been responsible for what happened, he is returned to the fight, on the canvas. This time the referee finishes counting Bolie out.

Neither Bolie nor Henry have any memory of the alternate outcome. Henry remembers making the biggest wish he possibly could for Bolie, but obviously it did not work, so he declares with resignation that he will not be making any more wishes. "There ain't no such thing as magic, is there?", he asks Bolie. "I guess not, Henry", Bolie replies sadly. "Or maybe...maybe there is magic. And maybe there's wishes, too. I guess the trouble is...there's not enough people around to believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Tall_Wish
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Twilight Zone?! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL