The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Paper to money to paper (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Effect wherein you unfold and count thru a stack of bill-sized rectangles cut from old magazines, then VOILA! you're holding real money, and then VIOLA! back to worthless again.

Can anyone advise on what you think is the best version of this oft-copied effect, i.e. the best instructions for making up my own set?

Many thanks.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Reed McClintock
View Profile
V.I.P.
772 Posts

Profile of Reed McClintock
This has several names such as
Fred Kaps' Currency, found in a manuscript edited and published and edited by Anthony Brahams

There is another one called Foreign exchange, I am not sure who the rightful owner is of this version.

Also on A Michael Ammar video is another one using coupon store money utilizing a z fold.

It is funny, this is one of my favorite effects, I do this every night in my walk around. I have recently developed a way to do a tripple change, without ever going to the pockets.

I can also hand the bills out for examination at the end of the effect. However, it is not necessary because the presentation lends itself to your audience, that you really did what you said you can.

I have discovered that many people never ask to see the money. They just sit there in a mind trance trying to reconsruct what they just witnessed, it definitely was not a puzzle in their mind.

This is the exact reason why I searched for a way to change the bills a third time. I always felt it was a clever puzzle, in the spectators mind. By using the three principal, I have taken it from a puzzle to an incredble feat of ledgerdermain in the spectators mind. Play with it and you to will discover something very special about this piece of magic and the power it has over your audiences. Good luck
"Stuff is anything, but magic is everything"

Reed McClintock 2003

Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I know that John Greene of Portland has a routine with Foreign Exchange--don't know if it's his "creation," though. But it's quite good.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Is this a marketed effect or is it in a book or video? I'm having trouble finding it.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Like the “Professor’s Nightmare” this is another of those oft ripped-off tricks. It is simply too easy to make up and sell to not rip it off.

I believe it is original to Patrick Page and was on one of his “ Trick-A-Tapes” (one trick tape with props) way back when. It can be found on “Patrick Page The Magic of Paper” video.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
Can anyone advise on the what you think is the best version of this oft-copied effect, i.e. the best instructions for making up my own set?

Harry Anderson did a nice version of this on his "Tricks of His Trade" TV special a few years back.

However, I don't know if it's a published or marketed routine...
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
I use a single sheet of paper and change it to a fake million dollar bill on the back of their hand. Would you rather I print words or money?
I just glue the appropriate corners together and carry it in my wallet. Short and sweet.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
It certainly goes way back when, I bought it as Krazy Kash in 1968 at the Blackpool convention, not realizing that it was a rip on Pat Page's Easy Money routine.

I still use it in walk around, have two different presentations of it. I actually prefer this early version to the later Kaps flash change. It happens slowly and changes back slowly as you patter. Also more impressive than the one piece of paper change that became popular.

As for making it up, as someone said, it is on one of the Page videotapes, though Davenports probably sells it, Pat Page used to be a demonstrator for them. (Then you make it up with REAL money)

Paul Hallas
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
Bill Severn's money magic book (which is probably in your local public library or can be purchased used very cheaply on-line) contains instructions to the trick you're referring to. He calls it "The Traveling Millionaire". Mark Wilson also explains it in volume five of his "Video Course in Magic". This is one of my favorite tricks and I perform it all the time. The only thing I do differently is to change $1 bills into $100 bills instead of paper into money. I find that's better because it's easy to accidentally flash the pieces of paper.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Pat Page's Easy Money. Fred Kaps made a minor change and improved the handling. IMHO there is none better. Why? Because it is simple, the plot is easy to understand and it is uncluttered with moves... and IT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR KAPS! Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
3D Cash would be a good method.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Fred Kap's Flash Bills does the trick perfectly!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Anyone use Richard Sanders' Slow Burn?
Aim To Amaze
IanBrodie
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of IanBrodie
Sander's Slow Burn has a visual change reminiscent of an Erdnase Colour Change - ie you wipe your hand over the paper & it changes to the bill. The other major difference is the gimmick costs more to make!

Ian

PS - "Fred Kaps Currency" mentioned in Reed's post is not the same as Easy Money/Flash Cash/Flash Bills - it's his version of the Edward Victor 11 card trick using bank notes. Another great Kaps trick, but different.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Paper to money to paper (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL