The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » 30% increase in dues ??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Just wondering why the significant increase?
Is it that the SAM Speculators are in cahoots with the Oil Speculators?
I for one have to draw the line some where and this one did it for me.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Where did you see an increase at?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2008-07-06 05:31, Terry Owens wrote:
Where did you see an increase at?

The invoice that came in. Annual dues went from $50 last year to $65 this year.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, that is correct. That is one reason I opted to become a life member three years ago.

Now, let's look at the economics of the organization. SAM is producing a top rate magazine that is equal to any being produced. That has to be worth about $55 a year. John Moehring has donw a great job of upgading the magazine while facing dwindling advertising dollars. Unlike independent magazines like Magic or Genii, the circulation is limited to members only. So the cost is spread out over less people.

I understand the economics as well as anyone. $65 is a lot pay when you add it into today's economy. But in reality if you consider the magazine, the film library, and other benefits. I think the money is money well spent.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Richard:

I was not trying to make an argument one way or the other. Smile

There was a bit of an outcry a few years ago when dues went from $35 to $50 as well. The suggestion made on SamTalk that was not removed, was to become a life member. Many suggestions made on reducing costs on that forum were either dismissed outright, ridiculed, or deleted by the moderator. (Some of them were my own.)

But it is understandable that with inflation, expenses rise, and there has to be a way of bringing in additional monies to offset the costs. The SAM is not the only organization facing these issues. My dues for the USCF went up to $25 a year recently. The cost increase there was to cover the increased cost of the monthly magazine we get. I understand that there is a difference between the two groups, one deals with chess, the other with magic, and the former does have a larger membership. But both are for organizations made up primarily of hobbyists, both have annual gatherings, membership cards, benefits for members, and a monthly magazine. Smile )

The real argument to be made for membership is not for the magazine, not for benefits one might gain, but for fraternity and association with others who share your interest.

Tony Iacoviello
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
30% is a bit steep but this is not unexpected. Gas prices really effect many areas and Richard is correct, they produce a top quality magazine. I have respect for the folks that make the decisions for SAM don't feel they are out of line. I've raised my prices quite a bit this year as well.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I understand no argument was intended and none taken.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
It's interesting. This has been discussed in MUM for a while now.

So I wasn't surprised when I saw this...
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Erich Troudt
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Erich Troudt
No repsonse from anyone official from SAM?

Man...I'm really biting my tongue right now...........
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings all,

thank you for your comments of praise for the MUM. John Moehring, Editor Extraordinaire, has done an outstanding job of bringing the magazine into the 21st century.

I would hope that our beloved MUM, the backbone of this organization and something that all members are proud of, remains a part of the Society of American Magicians for many years to come. It is indeed sad to have John Moehring leave his position no later than the November 1 issue of the M-U-M.

As of late there has been some talk of taking the magazine and making it an "online" publication instead of a print publication and that would be something I would hope doesn't pass the vote of the membership.

For those of you who are questioning the increase in dues,let me say this. Keeping the quality of the magazine was one of the reasons for the increase, but there are other reasons, including the ever increasing cost of running the Society.

Look over the past National Council Meeting minutes, look over the annual budget, these are both published in the MUM and available for download from the website. Look over the figures, check out the budgets, get involved, ask questions, -- this is YOUR S.A.M. and the more involved you are the better you can help to keep things running smoothly and properly.

Your opinion counts, after all, you, the member, are the reason for the Society to exist -- without members there would be no Society.

Feel free to call upon me if I may ever be of any assistance or if you ever have any questions.

Keep a dream in the making

Maria Ibanez
President
Society of American Magicians
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
This upcoming year would have been my 14th year as a member. Quite honestly, other than the magazine and my membership card that's about all the benefits I've received.
( I know, "Ask not what your country can do for you...") I don't understand the expenses part. Most businesses provide a service. Airlines have to buy planes and fuel as well as pay pilots, baggage handlers etc. Restaurants have to buy ingredients, pay cooks, waiters and waitresses etc. etc. So when the prices of fuel and raw materials goes up the fee increase is justified. SAM is not a business but an organization.

Maybe I don't get it but other than a magazine what real expenses are incurred to justify the last 2 big jumps in dues. I buy my performance insurance from another source because it is less expensive with more coverage. I really don't think SAM
does anything to enforce the code of ethics as it pertains to exposure regarding members. ( I've heard several complaints about this issue) I'm very sorry that I feel this way I guess what agitates me is the lack of communicating the need for an increase. All I received was the renewal invoice with the dues increase and that was it. No explanation, no we value you as a member, just an invoice.

Needless to say I'm not renewing, regrettably.
David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings -

Thank you for your post and concerns with regards to the cost of running the S.A.M. I am saddened to hear that you have regrettably decided not to renew your membership and would respectfully ask that you reconsider giving up on our wonderful organization. Let me be the one to say -- I value you as a member!

You have some valid questions about the cost and expenses, and as I've stated in my post above, as a member you have every right to ask for and look over the annual budget which covers all expenses of the Society. This is published annually after the convention in the MUM and should be available for download from the website....you might also ask for a copy from the National Treasurer or National Administrator.

While this is a volunteer organization, there are many expenses and costs to cover. Not to go into specifics because this is an open forum and is readable by other than S.A.M. members, but, some of these include --

.the annual cost of the website,
.salary for the webmaster,
.salary for the National Administrator
.salary for the MUM Editor
.salary for the MUM editorial staff
.printing/production of magazine
.postage for mailing the magazine worldwide = as you know postage has increased
twice recently as have paper and ink
.production of membership pins, certificates and other pertinent items
.printing, production, mailing, etc. of membership cards each year
.printing, production and mailing of recognition items such as certificates for 5
10-15-20...etc., years of continued membership in the Society
.production of inventory logo items such as T-shirts, fobs, cups, wands, cuff links
and all the other gifts and insignia items
.printing and production of items that are available to the members such as the
applications for membership, ritual books, etc.
.reproduction of the "blue books" which are available at each of the National
Council meetings and at the National Convention - these include a report from
each of the National Officers, reports on investments, AND a copy of the YTD
budget covering expenditures per line item (very detailed)....
.Supplies such as blank DVDs for the film and tape library - these films are made
available upon request to any one of our members and it is one of the great
benefits of membership
.Licenses, insurances, taxes, and other legal requirements we must meet
.replacement of any equipment which breaks or needs replacement to keep up with
the times

There are many other expenses I have not covered above because this post would be way too long....download the full blue book from the website and you can get all the details but, in addition to the above expenditure items, there also are budgets which help cover just a very small portion of the expenditures taken on by those who serve in committee or officer capacities in the Society.

I cannot speak for others, but I know that above and beyond my allowed budget as President this year, my husband and I have spent out of pocket more than 4 times my allowed budget meaning we are almost $40,000 into personal expenditures.

Out of the $8400 budget allowed for a year for the National President, I must pay for all my letterhed, envelopes, business cards, travel to and from as well as hotel,etc. for the National Council Meetings and there are 2 mid-year meetings to attend; we also pay for registration to the convention, etc.

The S.Y.M. Director's budget is the same as that of the National President.

All officers receive a budget which is slightly less than that of the next officer up the chairs all the way down to Regional Vice Presidents. Committee chairs receive a budget for the committee and that is to be used for the committee work and needs.

There is much, much more that goes into the make up of the annual budget and the quarterly reports which is why I highly recommend you download the blue book off the website and read it over so that you can see that your membership dollars are not being mis-spent and that there is in fact a reason for the increase.

I would respectfully urge you to reconsider giving up on your 14 year membership.
Let me say again, I value you as a member!

Should you have any questions or feel I may be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Maria Ibanez
President
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
For me, a nomad with no home assembly to call mine own (choke), M-U-M has been worth the membership fee all by itself. I subscribe to MUCH more expensive magazines which MUCH less entertainment and career value.

The SAM forum and SAM mail list are just icing on the cake to me, as is the occasional discount at retailers across the country.

They're very NICE icing though, and don't raise my blood glucose!

So I guess I'll just go right ahead and renew.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Angel Freire
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
72 Posts

Profile of Angel Freire
I think a lot of people don't realize how expensive it is to run a volunteer organization.
Angel
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Hooray! I'm icing!

Best,
Neil
(Administrator of SAMTalking.com)
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I'm with Chet! MUM alone is worth the price of admission. It has turned into an excellent magazine.
By the way. Neil has done a great job at SAMTalking.com Check it out!
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings everyone and thank you for your input and responses to my last post.

Angel, you are so right....so many people don't realize just how much expense there is to running a volunteer group.

Grandpa Chet, thank you for your ever wise words kind sir. The MUM is something I am very, very proud of. I will forever consider myself fortunate and blessed to have had the opportunity of working with John Moehring during this year - he is a true gem of humanity.

Jack, Neil has not just done a great job with SAMtalking and is not just "icing"; Neil is a moderator that goes above and beyond in everything he has done for both the S.A.M. and the membership.

Neil is one of those treasures that was discovered this year and that has turned out to be a fantastic addition to the team. He has had an uphill climb to bring the newsgroup to the caliber and level that he has but the numbers are growing and with your help, Grandpa, Jack, and all the others who are loyal followers,the group will continue to grow.

Those who are coming to Louisville, come to the National Council Meeting on wednesday morning and speak your piece of support for Neil and the newsgroup. Rome wasn't built in a day and no communication method is perfect or complete. There are other newsgroups and S.A.M. also offers SAMtalk but it takes much to make the "world go round" and to quote an old cliche "different strokes for different folks" -- I am thankful for SAMtalking and the opportunity it provides; I am even more thankful for having had the opportunity to meet a great and fair man in the form of Neil Tobin.

Again, thank each of you for your support and understanding. Thank you for all you've done to support me this year. Don't ever hesitate to contact me if I may be of any assistance.

Maria Ibanez
President
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I'm honored, Maria. Thank you.

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2008-07-12 00:13, Neil Tobin wrote:
Hooray! I'm icing!

Very NICE icing, let us not forget! And non-carb, which doesn't affect my diabetes.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet

PS: Thank you for the nice words, Maria!
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings - - - diabetes Grandpa? I always knew you were "sweet"!

Another first here on the Café....boy, this is almost becoming a front page for me. I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and I am taking pills to control it. Happy to report that my levels have been below 90, averaging 84 for the past 2 1/2 weeks which means that they are going to cut back the medication and may eventually take me off everything, YIPEE!!!!

See, Grandpa, one more thing we have in common in addition to our love for the SAM and for magic and magicians.....not to mention being "grandparents".

All kidding aside, I would like to thank everyone of you who has been so kind to me in this and all the other threads on this and other newsgroups. I love you all and mean from the bottom of my heart everything I say with regards to being here if you ever need me. May our friendships and relationships not end in about 10 days when I am no longer President, but I will forever be MI (initials come in handy Smile -- )

Keep a dream in the making -- we create our tomorrows by what we dream today.

Maria Ibanez
President
Society of American Magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » 30% increase in dues ??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL