The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Terry Evanswood review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
OHCollector
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of OHCollector
I got a chance to see Terry Evanswood’s show in Pigeon Forge Thursday night.

Among my favorites performed were Backstage With a Cane Cabinet, Ring in Gumball Machine, and his card sleights routine that Tony Hassini made him promise he’d leave in his stage show when Evanswood won the Merlin Award. Essentially it was Jeff McBride’s card manipulation act, and was performed very well.

He also did a fountain levitation with a Titanic theme; Origami; DeKolta chair to fire cage; Orange, Lemon, Egg & Canary; opened with Crystal Smoke Chamber; did a zombie ball routine dedicated to his parents who were there; and I was pleasantly surprised when he mentioned the importance of God in his life, which got a positive reaction from the audience.

I suppose my only gripe was the obnoxious sales pitches before the show and during intermission. Tony, the “host” of the show, was really the salesman of the show, constantly reminding the audience that family portraits, magic sets, Empire coloring books, t-shirts, DVDs, etc. were for sale. I can appreciate that you have to drive add-on sales that supplement the ticket and concessions revenue, but I felt like I was in an infomercial when language like “That’s a $65.00 value for only…” was being used on stage during intermission. And how we were such a terrific audience, so an additional ten bucks was being knocked off the bundle price. I was waiting on Billy Mays to come out. So when kids get in free, it’s never free…they’re going to be begging for the magic sets after seeing a magician perform on stage for 45 minutes. And I can’t completely bury the idea because it has its smart marketing merits, but it just came off as bush league in the end with all the wheeling and dealing, which was much more blatant and excessive than what this post can even attempt to illustrate. You had to be there.

I enjoyed the magic and Evanswood is a very engaging performer with great line delivery. The hard sell just needs to be scaled back.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3494 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
There is a way to promote back-of-the-room sales,then there is another way to promote back-of-the-room sales. One way you are remembered as an artist and entertainer, the other way you may be remembered as a used-car salesman...

This of course begs the question, are you in magic for the money, fame, and ego, or are you in magic to entertain, share your art, enchant and empower... It's all in your audience's perception of why you're standing on that stage.

My thoughts,
Walt
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Sounds like they could have hired Vince from Sham Wow. (Or is that Scam Wow?... Either way it works!)
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
It's all about the sales pitch .. isn't it.

Well, that's the theaters deal .. Terry has nothing to do with all that and refused to do the pitch. You have to remember Pigeon Forge is a tourist trap .. they do that in every show.

Judge the show on Terry's work .. not the pitch.

Steve
sobrien
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of sobrien
Does anyone know which Ring in Gumball Machine he uses? I have a CW that I love but I am also looking at doing something different with the gumball and want to see what others are using.

Thanks
Shawn
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
As I understand it, it is very expensive to host and run any type of show in these tourist places. There are probably a dozen other "acts" musical and otherwise, that would race into Terry's venue were he to vacate. The cold fact is that he probably needs a higher ticket price than what the market will bear, and the only way to get it is through those other impulse sales.

Terry is living the dream in his own big show. But he has a huge overhead, and he and his family needs to make a living at it as well. You can be certain that the other music shows are pitching their cd's and crap just as hard as anyone else.

Go to any amusement park this summer, and you cannot walk 5 feet without stumbling into yet another gift/souvenir/shirt/stand with themed crap to buy! Terry's place is just imitating the industry standard IMHO.

So the hard sell is there to stay.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7424 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I haven't seen Terry's show (I've heard it's very good), but here's a thought.

Some people who do BOR sales have tested their script, to see what results in the most sales. Whether that be a hard sell, a subtle mention, something in between, etc.

You might not like it personally, but that isn't an indicator of whether its effective or not.

I will bet that most people don't test different versions. If they haven't tested and tracked, they might not realize that sometimes a hard sell results in less sales. The results depend upon a number of factors.

If you are doing BOR at your own show, test and track so you know what way produces the most results. Trying in a forceful way (hard sell) isn't guaranteed to produce the most effective results. But sometimes being too gentle isn't guaranteed to produce the most effective results either. And something in between isn't the guaranteed answer either.

The answer is to test and track, and find what works for you.

Similar thoughts for selling your show.

However, remember, just because you like something or don't like something, that doesn't mean it isn't effective. Your "feelings" are not the key indicator. In the end, you have to do what you are comfortable with and what you can live with, but you also have to do what works.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
You guys don't get it.

It's Terry's show but, the theater employs Terry and the staff. Sadly, it's out of his hands .. he's not making a dime off any of that.

Steve
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Steve - I suppose if that came out of Terry's mouth, then we have to take his word for it. I remember reading somewhere that it was extremely expensive to have the theatre management go with him as opposed to some other act. If they are taking all of money from BOR sales, then it is helping to pay his lease. That's his deal and he seems happy with it.

Chris
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
I thought Terry now owned his theatre. he pretty much said that he had bought and was re-modeling his own theater when he performed in my town two yaers ago. I may be wrong. I havent seen or talked to him in awhile
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
sawuin2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of sawuin2
Terry does not own the theatre. It is owned by Fee Hedrick Entertainment. You can check their website. Steve is 100% correct in saying that Terry has nothing to do with the pitches. If it were up to him, he'd have it toned down A LOT. Unfortunately in this business there's a lot of give and take and F/H is big on gift/food sales- go to any of the company's other theatres in Pigeon Forge (Comedy Barn, the Miracle, Black Bear) and you will see this.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
If you had ever seen Terry's morning show in the Country Tonite Theatre, you would have seen a reasonably soft sell approach to souvenirs and gift items. At the Magic Beyond Belief Theater, the push is much harder and the host, when I saw it, was actually the manager of the theater.

Michael
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Just to clarify my position - I believe what Steve/Terry says about the BOR. I am disappointed that Terry doesn't get to share any of that, but that is the reality of his contract. I don't think that any of us can appreciate how difficult it is financially to be a part of these 2 wall/4 wall shows. There is so much risk.

First to find a backer, then to build a market to where the locals are stearing the tourists to your show as opposed to one of the 100 other shows in the area.

I'm already getting an ulcer just thinking about it! Smile
GreatWizardoftheEast
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
124 Posts

Profile of GreatWizardoftheEast
I have to take issue with one thing stated originaly.
Quote:
On 2008-07-05 21:06, OHCollector wrote:
So when kids get in free, it’s never free…they’re going to be begging for the magic sets after seeing a magician perform on stage for 45 minutes.

If kid's get in free that's great. And parents have choice to say NO to the magic sets which means the show is still free.
Harold White
Bryan Drake Show
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama
125 Posts

Profile of Bryan Drake Show
Quote:
On 2008-07-06 10:56, sobrien wrote:
Does anyone know which Ring in Gumball Machine he uses? I have a CW that I love but I am also looking at doing something different with the gumball and want to see what others are using.

Thanks
Shawn

I read an article in Magic from 2004, and it says it's his own twist on the Gumball routine.

Terry is my absolute favorite performer live. He is very smooth very polished, and his Christmas show as well as his regular show is spectacular.
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
I agree with Dale. Terry is the absolute best I've ever seen and my favorite magician. You won't find a more genuine, sincer, likeable performer out there. He connects with the audience like no other and always puts on a super entertaining show. He always brings his A game and never disappoints.
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Dale,
Can you tell me what month of 2004 you read the article about Terry?
Was it one of their longer write ups about shows, or just something brief and incidental?
OHCollector
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of OHCollector
Quote:
On 2008-07-06 01:32, Chezaday wrote:
Judge the show on Terry's work .. not the pitch.

I see where you're coming from, Steve, especially considering you are a performer and you could find yourself in a similar position if an attractive theater contract presented itself with strings attached. And I don't begrudge Terry for what he has to do to get that important exposure. Frankly, part of me regrets starting this thread knowing what I do now about what Terry does and does not have control over. But I think it's also important to look at it from my original perspective, before I learned who controls what, and remember that others could form the same impression, and others *have* on Trip Advisor and have leveled negative remarks against the show because of the selling. The good comments outnumber the bad, and regardless of how turned off people become, I don't see it affecting his longevity because one would think that Pigeon Forge would always be the type of town to support a show like this, but it's still something the theater shouldn't lose sight of.
OHCollector
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of OHCollector
Quote:
On 2008-07-12 18:31, briansmagic wrote:
Can you tell me what month of 2004 you read the article about Terry?
Was it one of their longer write ups about shows, or just something brief and incidental?

MAGIC Magazine lists past stories in the section of its website where back issues can be ordered. Terry had a cover story by Mark Holstein in the October 2004 issue.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I've seen Terry show Twice a year for the last 8 years.

Terry now is employed, has nothing to do with the marketing of his faboulus and excellent show. At Country Time Theater day show, he was lucky to get 50 people a show, Now with the new theater and the marketing is done by the same people who run the Comedy Barn and Country Bear Jambree, the theater is sold out every performance.

One should really study the marketing aspect of the owners, its got to be the best I've ever studied. The owner's are in the business of recouping their huge investment, and to make money. TO that end, they do an excellent job.

Magicians attending this should know and learn the process. It could be used for fundraising magic shows. As for Terry's Show, well, he must be over 4,000 shows by now and each are well performed, I study his method, his timing, his sincerity, and much more. It's a must see show!

As for the selling, it is done in each of the owner's business. As said previously, this is a tourist town, and people plan to spend money. One can say yes, or NO.

I knew this at the comedy barn and when I saw my family picture on the key chains, I bought them as gifts to my owner children. I refuse to buy the video, then they picked me to be on stage. Oh well, I bought that too. I didn't buy the BOR magic tricks in the lobby! I just loved seeing the amount of BOR sales they made and how they went about it. A ton of money on the food concession too!

Definately go to the show and learn from it, it's a marketer's dream, and a fantastic illusion show!
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Terry Evanswood review (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL