The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Help with my thumb cuffs, please? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
Guys, I have never been on this part of the forum before because I have never really thought about this type of thing being for me, but I know that the thumb cuffs is a nice routine to do in a strolling or table-hopping situation as a comedy routine. So today, I was at the Ferry Bridge Day of Magic, and I picked up some thumb cuffs and put them in my bag. I thought nothing of it until I got home and took them out to have my first play to find that all the instructions where how to lock and unlock them, and they said nothing about how to get out of them once locked in??

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
magico563 Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
PM me for how to get out.... Other than that....here is a bunch of philosophical dribble, since this is new to you. (Is that correct. Steve - dribble?)

All escapes have the same purpose. We inspire people that "nothing is impossible". Whether you add a comedy angle, or not, does not effect the outcome. The audience places you in a confinement and you get out.

I'm going to suggest more reading on Houdini and buying various books and DVDs showing/teaching escapes and watching YouTube vids because knowledge about escapes "as an art form" is helpful. Anyone can escape TT, but what do you have in the way of personality that makes your escape special?
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
You can use thumb cuffs for an "in and out" routine with great success. Follow Jay's advice and get some videos to learn from.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"(Is that correct. Steve - dribble?)"

If you are drooling...yes.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Drivel just doesn't sound correct.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Lookie (3rd grade English)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/drivel
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dribble

Definitions of both words include slobbering of the mouth. HOWEVER, drivel mentions the act of talking stupidly, whereas the above initial post and response is not stupid but repetitive (to the experts) in so much as, they have heard it all before on numerous occasions.

Since drivel refers to stupidity and dribble refers to repetitive action, I'm acquiescing to using dribble in this case.
- - - - - - - - -
This has been another boring exchange called "Absolutely nothing to do with the original post, and I should either be on the phone drumming up work or in the shop sanding some wood" episode # 185.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Jay! You're my hero! You did research without looking at Wikipedia!
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
I was wondering if thumb cuffs come in different sizes. My hands are pretty big, and I have yet to find a pair that fits me.
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
Guys, I am having problems with them. I can't seem do it without it looking weird when I put them on??

Please help, because I really would like to do this routine.

Thanks,
magico563 Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
It's entirely possible that you are performing the moves correctly but that you are, actually weird. LOL

Ok

Some of it deals with the angles you present your hands at. The perspective the audience has while seated with your arms held out is different then when they are standing and your hands are in front of your belt.

Do the three methods - or a combination of them - that I PMed you, and if it still looks weird, you either need to have someone who knows what to do show you OR quit.

I am a big advocate of filming practice sessions and using them as a gauge. Looking at yourself from your own perspective is not the same as what the audience sees.

Last point.... Timing is everything.

Last point. Are you, yourself looking at your own hands like "Look at me... I'm trying to hide something here"? Because if you look guilty, then you are inviting the audience to be more curious. You need to appear like you are at the mercy of the volunteer......
Last point. Did you film yourself from different angles?
Last point. How is your timing?
Last point. Are you offering your hands like "I'm going to fool you right now...see if you can catch me"? If so, stop it.

And that's the continuation of my dribble for this hour.
Can you imagine...the human race becomes extinct and historians from a different planet get their hands on the posts from this forum?

Remember... You are in charge, but it appears the volunteers have you right where you want them.

You may quote me - - - - then get out, the video camera.
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
Jay,

Thank you very much for your great and much appreciated advise, and I think the main things that I am needing to do from your points is one, my timing and two, my angles.

Thanks again,
magco563 Smile
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"Since drivel refers to stupidity and dribble refers to repetitive action, I'm acquiescing to using dribble in this case."

W-ever ya say, Slick, but don't be surprised if people think you're referring to a saliva problem. Smile
- Albert Camus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Steve,

You're the only person, I know, who is smart enough to know the difference.
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
Quote:
On 2008-07-07 20:23, Steve_Mollett wrote:
"Since drivel refers to stupidity and dribble refers to repetitive action, I'm acquiescing to using dribble in this case."

W-ever ya say, Slick, but don't be surprised if people think you're referring to a saliva problem. Smile

What does all this mean, Steve?? Is it a joke between you and Jay??

Magico563:-)
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Yep; don't worry about it.
Jay and I are slowly becoming the Duke Stern and Karrell Fox of escapology.

The joke is based on the fact that I'm a technical writer and tend to sometimes be a "grammar Nazi."
- Albert Camus
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
Ok, Steve, no problem. LOL

Thanks,
magico563:-)
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
To sort of quote John McClane from Die hard.....

"Grammar.....Grammar?!" Dramatic pause...... "Who gives a **** about Grammar?!"

Apart from Steve_Grammar_Nazi_Mollett - what is way more important (ain't this right, Jay?) is the spelling!

With that in mind, Magico563, it's not "advise," it's advice!

And the world stops because it's a bloody miracle that Dave spotted a spelling mistake....but still couldn't be donkeyed to check his post....... Smile

PLEASE, it's a JOKE - don't take offence! Smile
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
Quote:
On 2008-07-08 07:41, dave_matkin wrote:
PLEASE, it's a JOKE - don't take offence! Smile

None taken.

Dave, do you have any tips you could please give me on the thumb cuffs?

Thanks,
magico563 Smile
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-07-08 06:05, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Yep; don't worry about it.
Jay and I are slowly becoming the Duke Stern and Karrell Fox of escapology.

The joke is based on the fact that I'm a technical writer and tend to sometimes be a "grammar Nazi."

Whenever you wish to use the word nazi, could you please drop the capital "n"? It has been ruled by an international court, lead by American judges, that they had lost the right to any respect and are just a "criminal organization" and being a member is sufficient to make one a criminal (1949 ruling: proceedings reported in the "Green Books")... So please, no capital "n". The ruling made it clear that there is no possible prescription to this condemnation.

Thanks
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
And recently in the UK, it was ruled that it IS ok to call someone a "leprechaun" and not be offensive. It’s strange what the law courts come out with. Surely, a capital letter for a name is not a mark of respect? I certainly don’t respect Adolph Hitler just by giving his name a capital later. Also, same for anyone else - I don’t use a capital letter as a mark of respect - just as a rule of the English language.

How about the swastika? If a Hindu uses it as is in their holy text, does that mean they respect the Nazi Party?

Not saying that the Nazi party should be respected – I just don’t see using a capital letter for a Name as a mark of respect.

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Help with my thumb cuffs, please? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL