The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Smooth Hands.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
In the UK, the best (and it is glycerin-based) hand cream I've found is Nutrogena "Norwegian Formula" cream. It's available in pretty well most chemists and supermarkets in the UK, I'm assuming it's also readily available in Ireland, although I could be wrong. You only need a tiny amount, the tube is small and so easy to keep close to hand (pun intended), and it makes the hands just that bit more 'grippy'.
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
I know this may sound odd...BUT my mentor who has been performing for over 30 years would use nothing but a dab of cola. When I was starting out with him many years ago...I would laugh and thought it was one of his pranks. I did try it and it did work for me when the going got rough and tough in any given situation or show. Just give it a try at home and see how it works for you.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Start with a good salt scrub. Everyone has good skin under their layer of dry dead skin.

Use the salt scrub once everyday and again right before bed and apply a good lotion before you go to bed. You will see the salt scrub work right away and soon you won't need it as often.
Wes
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
Quote:
On 2008-07-07 16:23, Evoker wrote:
Sortkwik is good but doesn't last long enough for me.

I had tried this out and it works wonders. Whatever a company calls it; it is just a finger rub you use to help sort through papers.
A quick dab of each finger and you are good to go.

I also recently tried actual SILVER half dollars and they do in fact have a different feel to them. I am able to do coin rolls and slights a lot more easily than before.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I use the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula with great results. I have recently discovered a wonderful glycerin-based lotion called Chamberlains Golden Touch Lotion. That stuff works like a dream for me. It works immediately. Type in the name Chamberlains Golden Touch to find their website, then search for a retail carrier near you under that tab. For me in Michigan, it is $7.50 for 12 fl. oz.

I believe Stevens Magic and Tannen Magic both carry a 2oz. travel size of it as well.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Just so you know you are not alone, here are some well known magicians who use/used commercial treatments for dry hands:

Gary Oullet has his own mix he sells on Camirand Academy web site
Ed Marlo used and recommended Chamberlain's Golden Touch; has it in the cover art of his book "Marlo Without Tears"
Harry Lorayne always keeps a wet hanky next to him on stage
Martin Nash uses SortKwik
Dai Vernon used Chamberlain's Golden Touch
Martin Lewis uses Chamberlain's Golden Touch
Frank Garcia  marketed his own called" Frank Garcia's Manipulation Lotion", said to be same as Chamberlain's Golden Touch
David Roth markets his own brand of bow rosin
Geoff Williams uses "Tacky Fingers", similar product to SortKwik
Scott Guinn uses "Pretty Feet and Hands" followed by mixture of equal parts of rose water, glycerin and alcohol
Michael Skinner used "Skinner's Edge Crème", made by SortKwik and originally called "Paper Crème"; carried it in his sock and used it religiously
U. F. Grant sells his own Manipulation Crème, also similar to Chamberlain's Golden Touch

(Hope the above renders OK; it was a table!)

Jim
houdini
View Profile
Loyal user
N.E. Kansas
203 Posts

Profile of houdini
I know this is really going to sound weird but here goes, I read in a thread sometime ago that unscented Vagisil creme,yes you heard me right, works wonders on dry hands for handling cards and coins. I tried it and could not believe the difference in how my classic palm worked and dealing cards or palming cards was much easier. Believe me it really works on smoothing your palms for coin work.
Jim. Thats me on the left,Everyone should know the other guy!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea golden Touch is what I use! I have it in a little Bottle so it's always with me! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
I'm telling you Emu Oil based products will cure your dry hand problems.
It's a FACT!
Try it, you'll be amazed.
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
One thing to point out in this thread: If one decides to use silver coins, beware of certain oil-based lotions/creams and those that leave a residue on your hands. I have, over time, seen and heard of many coins (and other magic apparatus like cards, silks, etc.) ruined by such things. Nothing to alarm people with, but just something to keep in mind.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 10:41, Duaut wrote:
I'm telling you Emu Oil based products will cure your dry hand problems.
It's a FACT!
Try it, you'll be amazed.

Uhh, do I have to catch and kill my own Emu first? Smile

Jim

(No Emus were harmed during the making of this post!)
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2011-05-19 13:52, Dr_J_Ayala wrote:
One thing to point out in this thread: If one decides to use silver coins, beware of certain oil-based lotions/creams and those that leave a residue on your hands. I have, over time, seen and heard of many coins (and other magic apparatus like cards, silks, etc.) ruined by such things. Nothing to alarm people with, but just something to keep in mind.

Hm... Might tarnish - which could be cleaned up - but I don’t understand how they could be harmed. (Which I read as permanent damage). Can you elaborate, Dr.?

Thank you.

Jim
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
J-Mac: I have seen labels on certain lotions in the past that warn against getting them on silver jewelry because there was a possible risk of permanent damage, i.e. eating away at the silver, permanent discoloration, etc. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the names of any of them but some of them were Rx-only type lotions. All were deemed by the AMA/USDA as safe for use on hands/skin, for whatever that may be worth to some people. Without overshooting the point, there are certain things that are safe for us humans to use that may not be safe for other items in the world.

There are also lotions out there that contain micro-abrasive particles, certain reactive enzymes and even moisturizer beads (like the ones in hand sanitizers) that can scratch soft metals like silver over time. Larger particles may be able to create a noticeable scratch.

If I see any lotions with those labels in the future, I will surely post the names on this thread.

These bits of information are not coming from my assumptions; I just remember seeing them on labels. This is also coming from hearing people (magicians and non-magic folk like muggles) say that they have had those experiences with their silver items as well. Again, this is just something to keep in mind and not be alarmed about. There is no best/worst list of lotions/creams to use because the skin and body chemistry of each person is different and unique.

I hope this helps clarify any questions about how certain lotions might, 'might' being the key word, damage your silver coins, and other silver objects you treasure. If there are further questions, please let me know and I will do my best to answer them!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thanks Doc!

For the record, I have used several dry-skin products including Chamberlain's Golden Touch, Na-PCA, Lubriderm, Curell Intensive, Corn Huskers Lotion, and Udderly Smooth - plus others over the years - without any harmful effects to my silver coins or personal jewelry. So those should be considered OK.

On the other hand I recently (last year) lined a small box with felt material using plain old Elmer's Glue (more of a white paste actually) and stored my Miracle Coin set from Mark Mason in it after it was thoroughly dry. All the gaffed coins turned black (and very slimy!) within a week. Cleaning attempts resulted in all the clad silver-colored parts becoming copper-colored. Ruined 'em for good. $100 bucks shot after only owning it for four weeks! So sometimes the most innocent seeming products can cause significant damage.

Sorry for the OT comments, and now back to your regular programming... Smile

Jim
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Chamberlain's Golden Touch seems to be unknown in the UK. I E-mailed Chamberlain a couple of days ago but they haven't replied. Any suggestions?

I've tried "glycerine & rosewater" - very runny, have to apply it over a sink - and Neutrogena. Both work, but not for very long.

Barry
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
Mindmagic: If I remember correctly, you can order it online from http://www.stevensmagic.com or from Tannen Magic in New York City.

I seem to remember a small chemist near Soho that used to carry it, but I am not sure of the name or if he is still around. I will check and see if I can find out.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
If you're in the uk just go to the supermarket and by a small bottle of glycerine. It's in the home baking aisle. works wonders and lasts a fair while.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On 2011-05-22 13:05, seangiles wrote:
If you're in the uk just go to the supermarket and by a small bottle of glycerine. It's in the home baking aisle. works wonders and lasts a fair while.

Thanks, Sean! Just got back from Tesco, unfortunately - but it's on the shopping list for next time!

Barry
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use Gold Bond Healing Lotion to maintain the condition of my hands and use Corn Huskers Lotion to give me good grip during a gig.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Just bought a bottle of glycerine, as recommended by Sean. It works really well and a tiny amount is enough for the fingers and palms of both hands. Thanks again, Sean.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Smooth Hands.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL