We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » First DNA Molecule Made Almost Entirely Of Artificial Parts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
What a time to be "alive" !!! (whatever that means now...)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200......1915.htm
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
You're blinding me with science...
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Hmm, yet another article with far too little detail for the interested. (The media tends to do that a lot with science and technology articles. I guess it comes from taking to heart the "most people read at the 5th grade level" rule.)

No mention as to whether the artificial bases are compatible with natural bases, or only compatible with each other- so it's uncertain whether or not they could, say, be inserted into a regular cell and propigate. I'm guessing not- especially if one of their potential uses is nanotech. It wouldn't necessarily be a good thing to have random DNA running around inside your body...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
614 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
I half masterd the Englesh languadge, so I can laern gooder stuph now, thanks two my fifth graed level.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3250 Posts

Profile of gaddy
If you were all that interested, you might have not missed this at the bottom of the page:

Journal reference:

1. Doi et al. Artificial DNA Made Exclusively of Nonnatural C-Nucleosides with Four Types of Nonnatural Bases. Journal of the American Chemical Society......a801058h

And yes, the base types are non-natural and almost certainly non-comptable with natural cell DNA. Just sayin' .....
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
614 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Now we can make the first fully artificial human soon!!
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Maybe we can create the perfect DNA for magicians? Take some example from every great magician and then create the "perfect" magician.
(almost joking)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » First DNA Molecule Made Almost Entirely Of Artificial Parts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL