The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Look at my first magic video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

klagerk
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of klagerk
I've been practicing magic for the past 3 months and made a video of me doing a few tricks. Let me know what you think, and give me advice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPE1-Pe20W4

Thanks a bunch,
Kevin
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
I guess I will be the first the video was good but I really do not know very much about that type of magic. Anything really looks good in my eyes unless they flash.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Excellent.

Thanks for sharing.
cmnipper
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of cmnipper
Clean your room...
Chad Nipper
Hamil
View Profile
New user
Bay Area California
94 Posts

Profile of Hamil
Hum? Obviously Kevin you have spent a great deal of time working on these effects and I congratulate you on your dedication.

However, a few things I would say in response to viewing your work.

First, the thing that stood out the most is the absence of any kind of patter and the extreme intensity of your facial expressions. I could not tell if you had just lost you job or hadn’t had a bowel movement in several weeks…..lol

Seriously, Kevin, showmanship is everything. As I’ve mentioned, obviously you have spent the time learning the tricks, now learn to perform them.

Although, at the time of performance you audience was a video camera, when you published it, your audience was the world. Video is a awesome medium for practice but painfully ugly in capturing depth of your skills and showmanship.

As far as the tricks themselves and the second thing that got me was the lack of wonder watching you perform them. I was told once years ago that it did not matter how well you perform the effect if in doing the magic, the spectator suspects you have done something sneaky,in which case it is now just a trick. (unless of course your setting them up for an even greater surprise)

The difference is in your audiences response from, “That was nice” or “that was ok” to, “Wow, how if the heck did you do that” And when you get the latter response you can boldly insert one of Gregory Wilson’s great quotes, “Thank you, I’ll take that as a compliment”.

The specific part that I’m referring to here is when you started your rope trick and tying the 2 ropes together. You held the rope so close to you body and your hands so enclosed the knot tying process that one can only wonder, “He’s got to be kidding if he thinks I believe he really tied it”

There were other things but I think I’ve made my point. Less hiding and show that you’re having as much fun performing the effect as you want your audience to have watching you do it.

Kevin, I really do not mean to be critical here, only painfully honest.

Remember, showmanship is everything.

Can’t wait to see volume 2.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Kevin,
Thanks for posting. What sort of advice specifically are you looking for?

The effects were ok but you seemed bored with your performance. The rope routine was very confusing. Are you looking to perform in public ? If so then you will need to work on your performing style. You seem to have a serious type of personality, very little facial expressions and or enthusiasm. People watching you want to be entertained not shown a series of tricks. Also as was mentioned above, the messy room and closet was a major distraction. I found myself looking around your room instead of watching YOU.

Obviously your performance and execution of the effects needs work but not bad for only 3 months. There are some excellent books like Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber that would be worth your while looking into. It all depends what your goals are and where you want to take this art. Strive for excellence.
David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2008-07-09 09:50, Hamil wrote:
Hum? Obviously Kevin you have spent a great deal of time working on these effects and I congratulate you on your dedication.

However, a few things I would say in response to viewing your work.

First, the thing that stood out the most is the absence of any kind of patter and the extreme intensity of your facial expressions. I could not tell if you had just lost you job or hadn’t had a bowel movement in several weeks…..lol

Seriously, Kevin, showmanship is everything. As I’ve mentioned, obviously you have spent the time learning the tricks, now learn to perform them.

Although, at the time of performance you audience was a video camera, when you published it, your audience was the world. Video is a awesome medium for practice but painfully ugly in capturing depth of your skills and showmanship.

As far as the tricks themselves and the second thing that got me was the lack of wonder watching you perform them. I was told once years ago that it did not matter how well you perform the effect if in doing the magic, the spectator suspects you have done something sneaky,in which case it is now just a trick. (unless of course your setting them up for an even greater surprise)

The difference is in your audiences response from, “That was nice” or “that was ok” to, “Wow, how if the heck did you do that” And when you get the latter response you can boldly insert one of Gregory Wilson’s great quotes, “Thank you, I’ll take that as a compliment”.

The specific part that I’m referring to here is when you started your rope trick and tying the 2 ropes together. You held the rope so close to you body and your hands so enclosed the knot tying process that one can only wonder, “He’s got to be kidding if he thinks I believe he really tied it”

There were other things but I think I’ve made my point. Less hiding and show that you’re having as much fun performing the effect as you want your audience to have watching you do it.

Kevin, I really do not mean to be critical here, only painfully honest.

Remember, showmanship is everything.

Can’t wait to see volume 2.

Great Post !! If I would have read this first I would not have posted.
Great advice, an obviuos pro.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
klagerk
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of klagerk
Thanks for the honest advice everyone. I will try to take it all into account before I make another video. I will for sure try to improve my showmanship and try to perform instead of just do a series of tricks. I'm going to pick up the Maximum Entertainment book today.

Oh, and I'll clean my room, haha.

Kevin
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
At the very least, close the closet door...lol!

Don't worry kid, you're on the right path! Hang in there and be true to the art, it'll be true to you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Look at my first magic video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL