The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Book for someone who likes David Blaine... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I was at a cookout this weekend, and a teenage boy was there. He is interested in magic and has a few things. I took out the Ninja Rings and did a few things. I did sponge balls and some things with rubber bands. He was glued to my side, asking questions and things like that. He was very earnest, polite, and asked a large pile of questions. He had a small set of rings and had learned a few card tricks.

After securing a promise to not perform until he had practiced, I showed him a few coin things and some rubber band effects. I had a great time and so did he.

At one point, he asked me what I thought about Criss Angel. I said that I preferred David Blaine and asked him what he thought. He replied that he thought that Criss Angel used too many actors and was too fake. I replied that magicians always lie and act and say whatever is necessary to entertain people.

Anyway, he likes what David Blaine does, so what books and other resources are appropriate for someone who likes Blaine? I would like to direct him to resources that will give him a good solid grounding in magic principles rather than collecting tricks, but I don't want him to be bored.

I don't have the time right now to mentor him, and I don't even know if he wants more guidance, but I would like to see him start out right.

Any suggestions?
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
"Mysterious Stranger" is pretty good. It's Blaine's autobiography. I read most of it, but it might be too heavy a read depending on his age. Any teenager or older should be able to handle it, though. I'm not huge Angel or Blaine fan, but I found it interesting. Hope that helps.

~James
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I would suggest the Mark Wilson book - not quite as old school as Tarbell...

Maybe a book by Banachek - the mind that was behind Angel. Smile
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Ask yourself this question... How did I start? Then, point him in the right direction using your experience and knowledge. Be the person you wished you had met when you first started out in Magic. In the early '60s, Mark Wilson is the reason that I'm into magic today...
Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
JHNelson
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
120 Posts

Profile of JHNelson
I second Mark Wilson's book. There is just so much in it, it's a wonderful starting point. I watched the owner of a small magic store sell it to a 13 year old. "You are a child with a lot of questions. This book has the answers." Cheesy, I know, but he made the sale. Smile
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
I would also recommend the Mark Wilson book. Plus, it is easy to find at most bookstores. As James said, the Blaine book, "Mysterious Stranger," is also a good read. I purchased Criss Angel's book (I can't remember its name) and just can’t get into it.
Thanks,
Bruce
Angel Freire
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
72 Posts

Profile of Angel Freire
If he's into Blaine, then Mysterious Stranger. But for magic, I would recommend Mark Wilson's Course in Magic.
Angel
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
You might be interested in the trick "Healed and Sealed". David Blaine did it on his TV special "Vertigo". Also, Royal Road to Card Magic, Card College, and Bobo's are good, as well as Erdnase. I do recommend Mark Wilson's, too. And don't forget Tarbell.

The effect of Healed and Sealed:
You pick up a crushed and empty can of soda from a trash can. You then miraculously begin to restore the can; the dents pop out, and it restores and refills itself. Furthermore, you visually seal the top of the can and open it. And you have a great miracle on your hands.
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2008-07-08 17:08, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:
You pick up a crushed and empty can of soda from a trash can.

Just don't do this until you've established your ability... A first impression is a lasting one! Smile
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Probably a bit advanced for now, but the Art of Astonishment series of books. If I'm not mistaken, Paul Harris was an advisor to Blaine, although I'd stand corrected.
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
JT Kordesich
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh
118 Posts

Profile of JT Kordesich
He was an advisor to Blaine.

I would like to toss in my recommendation for Mark Wilson's Complete Course and Royal Road. That should get him started on the right track. And make sure to inform him that it may be hard work, but it will pay off!
Illusion: Reality in the mind of the audience.
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Again, the royal road is always a good suggestion!
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Mark Wilson's book is a good place to start for all beginners. But there's a Dummy's guide to street magic that might be particularly suitable for this kid.

-Rob
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Sorry that's a complete idiot's guide to street magic...

It's actually not a bad book at all...

-Rob
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
There was a Dummy's Guide to Magic. It's still on sale in a shop in Kuwait (though over 10 years old.) Next time I'm in the City I'll have a look.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Dummies guide to magic is still around, and is an ok beginner's book as well. Complete idiot has a guide to magic as well as a guide to street magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Book for someone who likes David Blaine... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL