The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Now, I've heard it all... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3726 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I live in a relatively small town (25,000 with about 10,000 of those being college students) and our local paper had an article/warning a couple weeks ago that I found interesting. Apparently, some jerk was harassing people in (of all places) the WalMart parking lot and trying to scam people with a set of cups and balls and handling it like a 3-shell game. Somehow, this guy ended up with some woman's money in his hand. This is a woman with a child...IN A WALMART PARKING LOT! There was a warning, something like, "if you're approached by anyone trying to show you some magic and dealing with money, please call the authorities". Nice, huh? Glad I don't do C&B, chop cup or shells in my restaurant walkaround.

You can't cheat an honest man (or, in this case, WOman)...she must've bet something, right? Figured she got mad when she lost and then called the cops.

Steve
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
Quote:
On 2008-07-08 07:05, Stevethomas wrote:
There was a warning, something like, "if you're approached by anyone trying to show you some magic and dealing with money, please call the authorities". Nice, huh? Glad I don't do C&B, chop cup or shells in my restaurant walkaround.
While we, as honest magicians, hate to have our art dragged through the mire it is just possible that the con-man approached the woman asking if she'd like to see some magic. Then, once he's got her confidence, the money element was introduced. Obviously, once she realised that it was a scam she reported it to the police that she had been ripped off by a magic man. Hence the warning.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Hey Steve,

In a small town, it may be easier to turn that into an opportunity for publicity... at least for the good of magic.

I think I would have called the paper, claimed to be an expert on such scams, and offered to show them the difference between a legitimate performance, and a scam.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Hey you could set up do some tricks explain how the con works. Bit like the expatiation some people do in there cups and balls. Add some laughs and fun stuff deliver a hat line including the fact that you could save them money in future.

You will just have to be careful on what the actual con thinks of this.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
tomterm8
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of tomterm8
Quote:
On 2008-07-08 07:05, Stevethomas wrote:
I live in a relatively small town (25,000 with about 10,000 of those being college students) and our local paper had an article/warning a couple weeks ago that I found interesting. Apparently, some jerk was harassing people in (of all places) the WalMart parking lot and trying to scam people with a set of cups and balls and handling it like a 3-shell game. Somehow, this guy ended up with some woman's money in his hand. This is a woman with a child...IN A WALMART PARKING LOT! There was a warning, something like, "if you're approached by anyone trying to show you some magic and dealing with money, please call the authorities". Nice, huh? Glad I don't do C&B, chop cup or shells in my restaurant walkaround.

You can't cheat an honest man (or, in this case, WOman)...she must've bet something, right? Figured she got mad when she lost and then called the cops.

Steve

Where I live (the UK) it is unlawful to provide facilities for gambling without a license. I believe this is the case in most US states too. So it really doesn't matter if the woman chose to gamble, what the operators are doing is flat out illegal. It is perfectly legal to use these items in an entertainment routine, as long as you are not gambling.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24265 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That would rate a "DUH." Of course it's illegal. Everyone should realize it's illegal. But you cannot underestimate the stupidity and cupidity of the average person.

Even "smart" people are stupid when money pushes their greed button. I don't think Steve was justifying the action of the "worker." However, you can't be gypped if you don't play.

Knowing the public as I do, I'll be willing to bet that the woman sues Wal-Mart for operating a gambling facility without a license by not running the con man off immediately.

The long cons are really much more profitable anyway. Things like the pigeon drop will net the operator a considerably larger amount of money.

There was a pigeon drop team working the area about 25 years ago that conned a fellow out of about $15,000. He spotted them, got his shotgun and held them at bay until the police arrived and arrested him for illegally detaining the fellows. There was no evidence that they had pulled the scam on him. He went to jail, they were let go.

This is a good opportunity for an honest magician to get some good publicity for what we do.

Somebody -- go for it!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Now, I've heard it all... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL