We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism and Fundraisers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
I came across an ad:

Looking for a psychic entertainer

we are looking for psychic entertainer for a fundraiser gala in December.

Compensation: Payment to be determined

The fact its worded Psychic Entertainer surprised me. Guess the booker has seen a mentalist before.

Anyway I’m going to call and get more info.

Does anyone have any advice/tips/experience(good or bad) for this type of booking they would like to share?
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Do it! It will really boost your karma!

Nathan
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
I am sure I have posted on a similar thread somewhere on the Café but although I do gigs for free one thing to bear in mind is to arrange with the booker beforehand that if anyone asks they do not tell them you worked free or for a reduced fee.

I did this on a few occasions and learn't the hard way.

The last thing you want is a reputation as a performer who works for nothing, you're phone will be ringing off the hook, but for the wrong reasons and when you work for free you are not valued.

One charity event I worked (albeit a long time ago) claimed poverty and so I did it for them gratis, after talking to people found out that they paid over £1000 for the band, around the same for catering, had an open bar etc etc.....

Many charity events have huge budgets so by all means do your bit for charity but think about your approach and don't do something good for others that harms your reputation.

If you are doing readings etc then you can offer to work for a 50 / 50 split, that's something I have done in the past and covered in my Sim Stone Manual, of course this is also a good way to get private bookings for psi parties etc.

I know this post may come accross a little cynical and it truly isn't meant that way, however I don't want you to end up in a situation that I once did...

Best,
Bri
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Everyone has there opinion.

but I would NEVER do free gigs for fund raisers. YOU are the one that loses out. The attendeeds get a great night the charity makes money but YOU don't get paid.

If you are a performer its your job your living. Your fee should be built into the ticket price. And the supporters should pay for you and a donation to the charity in the prce of the ticket.

You on the bill should attract people who would otherwise not come and not contribute.

You are a professional this is your job to attract and entertain people. Most people who work for charities get a good salary. You as a performer should also have that right to put food on your table.

And lastly YOU YOU YOU alwys determine what you are going to charge. It is never the client who decides what the fee is.

The market will be ruined by those doing it cheap or for free.

And by the way charities always scream poverty but if they are charging the right money for the tickets they can afford to pay you.

If not then walk away.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24292 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here's an interesting way to handle it. Tell them that you don't work free, but you would be willing to allow a sponsor to pay your fee in exchange for advertising.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
When I did charity gigs in England I told them that my regular fee for a 45 minute show was so much, including milage costs. I told them that as it was for a charity, I would be willing to donate a certain percentage of my fee to them.

It got me some rather good applause when the MC announced that I was donating part of my fee to the charity.

As far as the percentage of the cut, it's up to you.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
A "Fundraiser" show does not necessarily mean you are being asked to work for free.

There is a difference between doing a show (paid) for a charity function and donating your services for free to charity.

The ad did mention payment didn't it?

I like the sponsor idea.

As mentioned before, many functions appropriate an entertainment budget with your services in mind Smile
Brane
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia, USA
272 Posts

Profile of Brane
Agreed with the concept of not doing too much of a show for nothing! You'll hear the organizer say (all the time!) " . . but you'll get such good exposure . . . you can hand out your business cards!"
They ARE right! Subsequently, you'll be approached by a LOT of people wanting equally free - or very cheap - shows!
Of course, I DO an occasional 'less expensive' couple/ three hours of readings for a good cause, but not very often! Usually, I'll do a 50/50 split of the reading fee between myself and the charity, but no more than that.
Bri and Mindpunisher, above, tell it as it usually really is: A well organized charity event SHOULD be able to pay you! (Is EVERYONE ELSE involved working for nothing? The advertising, hotel/ location, the catering, the music, the organizers themselves? I very much doubt that!)
brane
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Here's an idea for charity events (if like me, you're not prepared to work for free because you know that you'll get treated like garbage 99% of the time anyway...unless it's a cause that I really believe in and then I approach the charity to offer my services).

Why not offer to work so that it's a ticket event, they charge so much per ticket, of which they give you X% from each ticket and the rest they keep, plus they keep all the profits from all the concessions (food and drink) that they sell.

You can boost your profits by BOR selling!
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
I have just recently done one for a national childrens charity fundraiser here in the UK and will do another one when I return from the states in september, both of these I offered my services for as I wanted to contibute something to the charities.

The One I have just done was a real struggle to be honest, there was a lot of very rich people there getting very drunk and their only interest seemed to be to show how much money they have.. A lot of them were very rude, and it will be the last time I offer my services to them.. Instead I will look at setting up a workshop over the summer holidays for the children themselves, or doing a show and donating part of the money to the charity.

Like stated above charities usually have a budget, find out all the details and make your decision.

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
On 2008-07-09 22:13, Brane wrote:
Agreed with the concept of not doing too much of a show for nothing! You'll hear the organizer say (all the time!) " . . but you'll get such good exposure . . .

Too true Brane! Back in the day when I used to work the suspended strait jacket escape I heard that all the time.... "Apart from drawing you a huge crowd and getting you front page on the local rag, radion and local tv there you mean...."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism and Fundraisers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL