The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jay Johnson Closing in London (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1103 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
I was surprised and saddened to read on Jay Johnson's blog that "Two And Only" is closing its London run after only a week! This despite good reviews. From what Jay wrote, it seems that the producers would not or could not wait for word-of-mouth to build an audience.

This is a terrible shame. Jay's show is wonderful (I saw it on Broadway), and Jay seems to be a really good guy. He deserves a lot better.

Bob Smile
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Unfortunately American humor and theater doesn't always translate into success elsewhere. I've been following Jay's blog, but have missed the last week. Thanks for the update. Maybe Jay will tour the US some more. I'd love to see him again!
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
...or Canada!!
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
...or Asia!!
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
...or Asia "and" Canada!
Jonathan
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Or the USA...

Even though Jay Johnson's show was critically praised, the general public hasn't flocked to see his show. Perhaps with Terry Fator's success on America's Got Talent a vent act will draw bigger crowds, but Jay's show played to small crowds in Cambridge, MA. I thought the act was wonderful, but saw it too late to recommend others to see it in town.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Jay's already played in the USA, Marty.

Give us other coutnries and continents a chance (lol).

OK... Canda, Asia (then ) "and" the USA (once again), it is!!!
Jonathan
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Very sad. Jay's done his work to get where he is. I don't blame Jay, I blame his promoters. Obviously the producers haven't been doing their job.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
It would be wonderful if Jay could successfully tour the world and then be motivated to create another show and do it again.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
I just stumbled onto the article announcing the fact that Jay was closing his show. How incredibly disappointed I am for him.

A few years back I decided to go see his show in New York only to find out it had closed the day before...literally. I've heard so very many good things about this show, read so many great reviews. I was sure it was something that would certainly fly in London. I don't think it had anything to do with the American sensibilities or humor. I think it has everything to do with the fact that Jay just has had a horrendous streak of bad luck with producers, promoters and advertisers. People want immediate gratification, and that doesn't come easily with a "word of mouth" show.

Here's hoping Jay finds the right folks to work with him to make this show a hit....somewhere.

--Jon
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Quote:
On 2008-07-13 12:42, chris mcbrien wrote:
Very sad. Jay's done his work to get where he is. I don't blame Jay, I blame his promoters. Obviously the producers haven't been doing their job.

Doesn't follow I'm afraid. London theatreland is acclaiming massive audience figures for last year. Last year was last year and this year is very different. This year shows are failing one after another. Not the multi-million pound shows but the smaller ones.

Money is very very tight here. And it isn't getting any easier. People simply are not spending anywhere except booking holidays!

So come to London and you'll see the big shows keep rolling along but the small to medium shows are suffering. And theatre production investment money - which has always been regarded as money you'll probably mostly lose, hence the name given to investors - Angels - has similarly dried up. There isn't sufficient to support a show for long.

I don't expect this situation to improve for some time and neither does the Bank of England. That sort of information only further depresses spending. I suspect the turnaround will come in the run up to the London Olympics in 2012.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Jay Johnson Closing in London (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL