The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Going Pro! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
No I'm not actually going pro!
I'd just be interested to hear from people who mainly feed the dog and pay the bills with mentalism.

I would be interested to hear the fears you had to go pro and maybe stop doing a safe full time job and step on the scene. I think it might come an interesting topic if people share their experiences when they began their career.

Or maybe why YOU (people that are not full-timers) don't want to become full-timers.
Max.
NADO
«How much of a gift it would be to really know what someone is thinking of?»
- Steeve Blanchet, news anchor, TVA
«Here is someone that truly uses his powers for good.»
- David Meclomesnil, weekend radio.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Athos...

Just noticed your post...

Give me a few hours and I will give you a peek into the world of a professional mentalist on the bald prairie...

J

Ah the wonderment of going pro...

There are a few things that no one told me. I had been performing semi-professionally since the age of 12, I never thought going pro 100% would be as hard as it was.

Realize that we are in Show Business, a great show is a must, as is business smarts. You have to know and understand that the work will not come to you right away.

100% of the work I perform is work that I had to pursue, create a need for my services, and sell them on the value of having me perform at their function.

I left a rather lucrative job with a fairly large radio station to perform 100% full time.

What made me decide to do it?

I live by the belief that all great things require 100% of your time and energy. It wasn't fair to my employer, myself, or my family that I was splitting time between my day job and performance.

The fears you have on day one probably will never go away. Everything from "where will my next show come from" to "how do I pay for these ads" to "how do I eat?"...

Know and understand that when you are the judge, jury, and the executioner its tough.

My average day is spent promoting, cold calling, working on creative pieces for ads, writing ads, sending off emails, taking client calls, booking shows, working on the show, writing other projects, filling orders, and performing. Chances are I left something out there.

I'm working harder today then when I wore a suit and tie to work everyday and sold advertising ( I still try and wear the suit and tie when dealing with clients ).

Original material, and a solid bullet proof act become even more important when you go pro.You begin to understand why things are priced as they are, and begin to hope that you are the only person who develops an idea in a unique way. When your act is your life blood it is among the most important things in the world.

My suggestion to anyone looking to perform full time -- do it. And do it 100% (most will disagree here) don't ease into it. Go big or go home.

Also diversify your income streams. Work a number of different venue types, and offer a number of different services. Everything from home parties, grads, selling BOR material, workshops, and of course products for fellow entertainers.

Have goals, keep them strong, but realistic. Remember as well that a goal is not a static entity. It will change, and it SHOULD change.

Most importantly, have fun with it. Follow your bliss. If you don't truly love this art form to the point where you are willing to sacrifice for it (Kraft dinner anyone?) then don't go pro!!!

It needs to be in your heart and mind with 100% of both.

More to come -- it's late and I have a long commute to the office in the AM (From my bed to my basement Smile )

Yours...,

Jay
xxx
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Great post jay thanks
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Ringo
Quote:

Realize that we are in Show Business, a great show is a must, as is business smarts.

And that's the reason I never even tried to go pro. I'll leave it to others to judge my show, but as for my business smarts... I just KNOW those are less than zero. So I'm happy to stay a part-timer and to provide a steady income for the wife and kids.

That was a very interesting post, Jay. Thanks.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Wow, Jay thanks for that insight. I am a part timer as well although my full time job relates to mentalism very well (and sometimes a selling point). I cannot imagine the headaches of dealing with the "business" side of this full time.

Just being part time I get headaches negotiating with clients, scheduling around my full time job, going to the office all worn out or going in late, balancing and juggling family life etc.

Dealing with the slowdown also I know must be more demanding for the full timers as well. If you are not dealing with a slowdown, you are working much harder anyway to secure the gigs which can be a burden in itself. I know I am marketing much more then I ever did now. Before the slowdown, I did not really have to and had to turn down shows.
MindSeeker
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of MindSeeker
I was having a really hard time just going semi-pro, I had some great material, but people were just not booking.

I now perform at least 2-3 times a week. What changed? Three books have meant that my material has a much stronger impact. I have become more focused with my material and it has meaning and substance. These books are:

- Maximum Entertainment by Ken Webber

- The Alchemical Tools by Paul Brook

- Scripting Magic by Pete McCabe

Before reading these books, I had a lot of material that just didn't seem to work, and I was losing my lust for mentalism. The books made me realise that I had more than enough ingredients, I just wasn't putting them together in the correct way.

So I think that changing the way you are perceived and focusing your attention on refining your material can really help.
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
Wow nice post Jay,

Thanks for taking the time to write everything!
I'm not yet completly part-timer I do shows once in a while, My show is divided into three parts, the first part is scripted, practiced, mastered. I offered my services for free at some foundraising events, or talents shows etc.

So I perform that first part over and over until I'm satisfied with the material and the presentations etc. I take notes what worked what didn't worked etc. When I will be happy (I am rarely, everything seems like it needs a little something) I will move to the next part, and hopefully one day I will have a solid 1h 30mins show that I can break down in parts for smaller 45mins acts, after dinners etc.

I only did a few shows for money, but it's not enough to pay the gas for a while!
Being a student/ mentalist is quite hard when you are at college! Hopefully there are summer breaks!

Thehehehe.

For those interested to see a bit of my show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oiJA572BN4

Max.
NADO
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Fantastic post Jay. Well done!

All the best,

-- Topher
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
974 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
I can just second Jay's opinion.

I turned pro about a year ago and I'm really struggling at times to pay my bills. It's hard sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for anything else in this world.

Fortunately in the last couple of weeks I found a very exclusive restaurant (by sending out a lot of sales letters) which gives me now a 5 to 12 minute slot to perform in (parlour) 5-8 times a month. And they do pay me a lot of money. This is where I can develop and test new material and where I get new clients.
If you want to go pro really consider to find such a venue!
Accept tough times, when there's a down, an up will follow.

P.s.: And for those you say "But you need a lot of luck..." all I can say is that everyone gets lucky at some time in their life. You just have to really -from the bottom of your heart- understand and know what you want and then go and get it.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
In reference to luck -- this hangs on the wall in my office...

10% Luck
20% Skill
15% Concentrated Power of Will
5% Pleasure
50% Pain

100% Of the Reason they remember your name...

I live by this...
Notice the balance of will over luck!

The more you hit the stree the luckier you get!

One other tip with regards to polishing the act...

I have access to a 120 seat theater every Saturday morning for rehersal. I also perform every single saturda for a diverse crowd that can range from 10 to 120. EVeryone from kids to grandparents. This has been one of the best moves I have made -- it gives me a chance to work new material in front of real people.

My advice...

Hook up with a local "Science Center" negotiate use of their theater space ( Most if not all have them ) into your performance fee. Keep the cost low.

One key to making a succesful go of the "pro thing" is to get exposure. Be sure that people see you all the time, everywhere...

Keep in mind though -- double edged sword!! Too much exposure can KILL YOU!

J
xxx
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
If you are planning on going full time, my suggestion is to meet up with, and talk with (face to face) people that you know in real life that have made that move. Beware the costume party at the Café and other forums.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2008-07-10 07:22, Athos wrote:
Wow nice post Jay,

I'm not yet completly part-timer I do shows once in a while, My show is divided into three parts, the first part is scripted, practiced, mastered. I offered my services for free at some foundraising events, or talents shows etc.

So I perform that first part over and over until I'm satisfied with the material and the presentations etc. I take notes what worked what didn't worked etc. When I will be happy (I am rarely, everything seems like it needs a little something) I will move to the next part, and hopefully one day I will have a solid 1h 30mins show that I can break down in parts for smaller 45mins acts, after dinners etc.

I only did a few shows for money, but it's not enough to pay the gas for a while!
Being a student/ mentalist is quite hard when you are at college! Hopefully there are summer breaks!

Thehehehe.

Max.

Nice work. What were you saying?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2008-07-10 12:04, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
If you are planning on going full time, my suggestion is to meet up with, and talk with (face to face) people that you know in real life that have made that move. Beware the costume party at the Café and other forums.

Sound advice Tony, but I would need to fly up to your neck of the woods. Very few in my neck I could trust. When I communicate with them, corporate gigs, name in neon lights, high dollar gigs, you know the rest.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
On 2008-07-10 12:04, Tony Iacoviello wrote:

Totally agree...

I was fortunate enough to have a local pro advise me on a few things before I made the leap...

J
xxx
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
Quote:
On 2008-07-10 12:20, Candin wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-10 07:22, Athos wrote:
Wow nice post Jay,

Thehehehe.

Max.

Nice work. What were you saying?

That's why I hate being French! You can't understand the pain I live... Smile
Imagine all those gaffed book tests that I can't use with my audience, because there are all in english, or all the props with stuff written on it I can't use.

And there are other routines which use words that I can't use, I don't want to expose anything, but this routine has been talked a lot on the Café and it's amazing (it's also from a member of the Café).

Max.
NADO
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Max...

It's all about making it your own!

The more unique what you do is the marketable it becomes Smile

J
xxx
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:

Imagine all those gaffed book tests that I can't use with my audience, because there are all in english, or all the props with stuff written on it I can't use.

Sounds like someone could make a fortune manufacturing French book tests! There's ONE way to go pro.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Nice Smile good question Max.

Max has been receiving mentoring for some time now, but not as Tony suggests face to face. When he first asked me for advice on his show, what Tony said was the first lesson I gave him. But do to his location, and the fact that he lives in a very small town with no other performers nearby.

I have been doing my best to work with him via messenger and web cam for some time now. Everything Jay has said has been said before, but it is good to get as many prospective as you can on anything you are questioning. And Jay’s advice here is gold, but yet has been repeated before.

Just for clarity a pro is someone who gets paid to perform. A fulltime performer is someone that only does performing for a living. Not every location will have enough work for someone to be fulltime and this should be understood and acceptable unless you’re willing to travel, so before anyone decides to go fulltime make sure there is enough work to support it.

In other words don’t quit your day job unless your night one will pay the bills. In today’s economy it is not uncommon for a professional in any field to have two professions just to make ends meet. You can still be a paid performer without having to be fulltime, and it will not make you any less of a pro (professional).
-Floyd
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
"The definition of luck is when opportunity meets preparation"...read that somewhere...
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Quote:
In other words don’t quit your day job unless your night one will pay the bills. In today’s economy it is not uncommon for a professional in any field to have two professions just to make ends meet. You can still be a paid performer without having to be fulltime, and it will not make you any less of a pro (professional).
-Floyd

Why not MAKE it pay the bills?
xxx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Going Pro! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL