The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Why are 'Blue Back Masters' more expensive than 'Red Back Masters'? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Reality
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Florida
62 Posts

Profile of Reality
Quote:
On 2008-07-15 21:53, palmtreemagic! wrote:
The red masters are a little better and smoother, IMO. If they're worth another $1, that's another question.

I think you mean blue? If not then well, you're getting a "bargain" Smile

I still love my Bikes. Smile
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1244 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Quote:
On 2008-07-15 09:50, DStachowiak wrote:
I actually LIKE the fact that some decks are printed a bit off center. Those who read books will know why.
Don

I know why, but I still get the masters Smile

With international shipping and all that, it costs me about 4$ for BOTH masters and a normal bike.

I buy the red masters, really good deck, add to the fact that bikes here aren't sold in first place, so laymen don't have an idea on how the ace of spades should look like, I like the masters Ace of spades alot.

I recommend them.

~ Feras
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
626 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
The masters do stick crispy a lot longer and I too prefer the masters red bikes..

I am never going to by another masters deck though. Why not bye something like the Essential Stewart James book with 50 of his "best" methods?

If you have a store named GoodWill near you I often find cheap Bikes there.

CW
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I have a Red Masters deck and it lives up to everything said about them. If you handled/treated cards like Martin Nash, they would last a long time. So, they would be cost effective if you got that kind of mileage out of them ( no signed card effects ).

I think card guys still use Tally Ho's. Master decks are around $22.00. I think you could get 12 Tally Ho decks off Ebay for around that price.

Oddly enough. Walgreen's Stud decks are beautiful to work with. They aren't Bike faces of course, but if that doesn't matter, they last a long time. If you had to use gaffs, you could make them or have Jeremy at Underground Gaffs or Marty at Martini's Magic make gaffs for you.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I meant 6 Master decks are $22.00. lol. They do have a beautiful feel to them. Fan and faro like a dream.

sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
524 Posts

Profile of sibbie
Masters are fine but I do not see where the price difference is worth what you get out of them. I would prefer going with Tally-Ho than paying for Master's plus shipping.

I see many magic shops selling standard Bicycle for $3.00-$5.00. If you are paying this price you may as well go for the Masters Edition. However, as Don stated, you can get a dozen Bicycle from Costco or Sam's for around $14.00. This makes them $1.17 per deck. Don't have a Sam's or Costco? Wal-Mart you can get a two pack for less than $3.00.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Target and Walmart raised their Bike packs last year to about $2.17. Now Walmart has dropped them back down to around $1.90. But you can get the double red/blue pack for around $2.97.

If you ever make an order, try out the Masters deck. You'll be pleasantly surprised on how beautiful they feel, fan, faro, etc. I have one stacked just for a story effect ( like Sam The Bellhop, different patter, etc. ).

dilan_thomas
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of dilan_thomas
I live in Texas. The Masters don't buckle and warp like a regular pack of Bicycles. I can't stand a buckled/warped deck. They also seem to last longer than a regular deck.
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
I have had really bad experience with Ellusionist Cards...they are great at first but now, all my ellusionist decks seem as if they are glued together and they look and smell as if they have been sitting in a pile of my grandmothers clothes in my attic for a year.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I've had the Masters deck for over a year and it has no grandmother atic smell. What E decks are you talking about?

airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
The red backs are printed using ordinary middle-class blood. The blue backs are printed using blue blood. And, as we all know, bluebloods are worth much more than those of us in the middle classes.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Tennessee
698 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
I just can't bring myself to pay the price asked for some of these decks. If I were a collector, that would be different as there are some cool looking designs out there now....

I use standard Bikes (Red back). I do like the price but in addition... it seems to be the deck design that, in my experience, the spectators seems to recognize and are the most comfortable with. I have through the years tried various brands and if the design is something they aren't familiar with, on occasion the questions arise regarding the legitimacy of the cards. That never seems to come up with Bikes or Tally- Ho's....
I also love to do signed card effects or occasionally a T&R... so with that in mind Bikes seem to be the best choice for me.

So, do those of you who prefer using the more expensive brands or designs find a big difference in the handling, longevity, general quality etc? Have you experienced the "legitimacy" question when using some of the new decks on the market like the Ghost deck?

Best to all,

Bobby
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
I have a blue masters, ghost, black tiger and an 1800 series.

They all act as an omni deck when I take em out of the box.
dilan_thomas
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of dilan_thomas
Quote:
On 2008-08-28 16:17, bobbyk wrote:
I just can't bring myself to pay the price asked for some of these decks. If I were a collector, that would be different as there are some cool looking designs out there now....

I use standard Bikes (Red back). I do like the price but in addition... it seems to be the deck design that, in my experience, the spectators seems to recognize and are the most comfortable with. I have through the years tried various brands and if the design is something they aren't familiar with, on occasion the questions arise regarding the legitimacy of the cards. That never seems to come up with Bikes or Tally- Ho's....
I also love to do signed card effects or occasionally a T&R... so with that in mind Bikes seem to be the best choice for me.

So, do those of you who prefer using the more expensive brands or designs find a big difference in the handling, longevity, general quality etc? Have you experienced the "legitimacy" question when using some of the new decks on the market like the Ghost deck?

Best to all,

Bobby

I can use either regular bikes or Ellusionist brand. The E's are made of thicker stock. I find it easier to do strike doubles with the E brand. The finish is different as well. They really do seem to last longer IMHO. You should try a deck out. I really like them.

Sometimes just for my own entertainment I will use a Ghost or Centurion (theory 11) deck. Everyone always wants to look at the Ghost deck, because they look so strange. After about 5 seconds they get bored, and I do another trick. Then they know the deck must be gimmicked so I give it out again. When they bring it back I do a erdnase or snap color change...Off they go with the deck again.

I only do this at my day job. Where I can let them take the deck and examine it until their heart's content. It's really funny.

When I'm performing for the general public I only use blue or red back Bicycle cards. The more normal the better. Familiarity breeds contempt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Why are 'Blue Back Masters' more expensive than 'Red Back Masters'? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL