We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Tango Sliding Knot by Magic Ian (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You saw it here first, did this in three takes. Too much work to do more. The Tango sliding knot is a newly added segment from Dances with Ropes. The moves just don't work without music. I was always intrigued with Pavels's walking knot and this is a take-off on that effect. No gimmicks, just a lot of simple fun moves.

http://magicians.podbean.com/tango-sliding-knot/

I still have to refine it a bit, but I always like showcasing things here on TheMagicCafe. You can comment. PM me if its harsh.
-Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I am breaking my vow of silence for my good friend Ian, and my love of rope magic.

Ian although you have added some great moves to this trick it is a bit too much like "Knot Unexpected" which Doug Henning did to death in the 80's, or was it the 70's on the Tonight Show, and the Merv Griffin show.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Well, I thought it was an answer to the Walking knot. Or, am I mistaken? I can have the spectator stop me to cut the first rope, I then make the knot and travel it to the other side to separate it any place the spectator wants me to. Then I tie that and go to the center and cut away the knot.
I use any ungimmicked rope.
The premise is "stock". The method, I believe is different due to the "sell" of the separated rope.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
As usual Ian you have taken an old idea, and appiled it in a new way. This time you have stripped down to the point where you have nothing to sell but the simple routine.
Great idea
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Al Angello? The kids are crying about an Al Angello....how odd.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-07-15 17:10, Al Angello wrote:
As usual Ian you have taken an old idea, and applied it in a new way. This time you have stripped down to the point where you have nothing to sell but the simple routine.
Great idea

Simplicity is bliss. That's why I included it as part of the bonus routines on the DVD.
Unlike most effects, my rope work simulates known effects with the simplest method. I am a student of Fitzkee and truly believe that anything can be done by applying the magical principles. When I approach a rope effect, I sometimes start with the "snapshot" of the effect, then say "how do I get from here to there other than how its usually done".

I sometimes get a big "duh, I shoulda thought of that" after the secret is told. Most times they shake their head in disbelief.

My thinking is more along the "War Magician", where disguise and simulation is more important than method. That's why too, that I subscribe to George Sands effects, also John Cornelius and Garcia. They all use one small element that "sells" a move.

My thinking is that if you can "sell" the moment where the illusion looks purest, it will overshadow the rest of the routine.

With Sands, it was the knot, Cornelius the crossed rope gimmick, and Garcia the blatant pickup restoration. All of these require too much hindsite to even fathom a solution.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have had some great feedback and some harsh feedback on this effect. Good feedback, thanks.

1) Some people did not see the necessity of standing in front of the rope with back to the audience.
---The stand in front thing, was included because of the attempt to make it a tango dance. I have done the effect without it.

2) Comment was made that other people have similar "pavel type effects" and mine was similar.

----90% of all cut and restored rope routines do not separate the ropes in the hand and that is sufficient enough for people to accept that the rope has been cut. The necessity of separating the ropes, therfore, has never been an issue as to the believe-ability that the rope has been cut during a cut and restored effect.
I felt that extending the ends of the rope more than most magicians would, was adding to the credibility of the cut.
That is the intent of the effect. Perhaps usurping the institution of the Pavel effect was presumptuous. The intent was to show a subtlety that could be used in any routine. I chose the sliding knot effect merely as a vehicle to show my original move.
I feel that adding the move just drove home the cutting of the rope with a larger dimension than just cutting the rope with close ends.
Your comments.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Not bad. Gives me an idea of expanding on a version I devised after seeing the original two gaffed assistant's Curry Version. Using no assistant but a short rope. I can change mine to a loooooooooooooong rope tied to chairs like this. Will play with it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Always thinking and refining. Nice subtle bit of subtrifuge Ian.

Kotah
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
UF GRant had a version of the C&R which employed black art principle. At the time it baffled his peers. Heaven knows what your wonderful version of seeming to separate the ends would have done to them! I Really like it.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Just to clarify, the only reason for doing a short routine was to showcase the "move". The use in a sliding knot effect was one that had seen a lot of discussion here and I thought I'd show the "move" in a familiar application.

The "fake out' is meant, not as a routine, but as a sublety to be used in any cut and restored to drive home the separation of the ropes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Tango Sliding Knot by Magic Ian (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL