The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman pinch help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
Hi
I am trying to learn the goshman pinch but I cannot seem to get it right. I was wondering if any one a good book or dvd that shows it in detail?
thanks
Pablo_Amira
View Profile
Special user
Temuco, Chile
682 Posts

Profile of Pablo_Amira
Jay Sankey have a lot of info and a lot of routines with this pinch.
Some very strange .. jaja, like Jay
Bye
-------------------------------------------
Asombro...lo más elevado a que puede llegar el hombre

Johann Wolfgang Goethe
Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
Either Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic or Gregory Wilsons On the Spot. I suggest the latter for learning the goshman pinch, but I suggest the first for learning a few nice priciples in coin magic.

Good luck!!

Jim
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, OH
1880 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
The works above are great for learning the pinch, but the original write up can also be found in the newer edition modern coin magic by bobo.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
One of my earlier influences was seeing Goshman at some conventions..Of course some of you know this as Tenkai Pinch..(the original name.

My favorite use is a one hand version of a Schwartzman idea of a pretty color change....tossing a coin up in the air and it comes down as a different coin..no sleeves....no ditching..(well maybe a second or to later...

Back in 05 in Boston, I got to see Mr. S work for the first time(for me) in person...he prefers to do it with two hands..and what a nice visual change....

yes..I learned it from the Bobo book back in the 70's.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jake.o
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of jake.o
Thanks for the help I will try revolutionary coin magic and on the spot
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Harris, you're right, that's a great use of the T/GP in the Schwartzman effect in Bobo's. Been playing with that thing for a long time and just recently released in a new download a similar effect but done completely different called, "Flip THIS!...And it is also deceptively done with one hand. Smile Along this way I happened upon another nice little move as well. Smile What a journey. Smile

*PS jake.o, PM the Godfather Vinny (Vinsmagic) about this and he'll help you out right away...no cost in involved, as he did me many years ago. Smile Tell him Mb sent'cha....Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Harris, MB et al,

Just for the record...On my DVD "Tied" I demonstrate the Schwartzman change (modified handling) but in a different context. I also have a triple spellbound written up in my Coin lecture notes that utilizes the move (shameless plug: Both DVD and Lecture notes are available).

I learned it originally with both hands so I could do a visual transposition...just eye candy but it looked like trick photography!

Michael Close also has used this move in one of his routines (Schwatzman's not mine).
tgold65
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tgold65
Revolutionary coin magic (Sankey) gives you two methods to get into the pinch. Plus a bunch of routines that uses it and some creative ideas of how to use it.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
How about the retrieval?...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
I find the retrieval the hardest part too. I got into using it from Wilson's "On the Spot". I tend to use the move only in circumstances similar to 3/4 Across and use kind of a toss and catch in the hand turnover to get it back.

One of these days I'll figure out and train my hands to more smoothly get it out of the pinch ;-)
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
The retrieval is as easy as getting into it. Pretty much you just do it backwards via the same thumb that put the coin there in the first place, just withdraw it. Let's not go to far into the woods on this, it really ain't all that deep. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Study what Paul cummins has done with the backclip on his "Up in smoke" DVD. He offers great advice that can be applied to the retrieval of the pinched coin.

I think I remember learning the move either in Bobo's or from a magic magazine.

Scotty York teaches a method that is a different way of getting the coin into pinch. I prefer the original method though.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
JTW, I like the original method as well by Tenkai, but prefer the method put forth by Goshman...Just seems a bit more natural to me in the movement of the hands in front of a spec. I think we spoke once a while back about different uses of the pinch and recoveries and what could be creatively done with it. I remember us thinking along the same lines on some stuff. Smile

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Now if one uses a c/s one can get a very visual 3 way...using other hold outs...to infinity and beyond.

Although I have played with the deep clip...I was never (so far ) ever able to switch over...In fact I do some of the stuff from Cummins/Smoke..but have adapted it to my style and move comfortability..

oh what fun it is to play....

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Actually I have a lot of work with a C/S and the pinch...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
A pinch full of sugar makes the magic go down...(with apologies to Mary Poppins)

Harris...(with his tongue somewhere near his pinch..er cheek!)
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
I used to have a LOT of trouble retrieving it. Turning the hand in while closing the fingers is KEY. A short & quick hand lift with a squeeze should do it. Now it's the pinch that I'm working on most often. Know what's crazy? Even once you get the move down, you're still only a fraction of the way to making 3/4 across work. There's a lot going on there, really. (Or at least it seems to me!)
jhereg
View Profile
Regular user
Petaluma California
121 Posts

Profile of jhereg
The hardest part for me is turning my hand around without flashing
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Quote:
On 2008-07-17 15:06, jhereg wrote:
The hardest part for me is turning my hand around without flashing

It should not be an isolated manipulation (like a front to back palm acquitment with cards...which also should NOT be an isolated movement EVEN if McBride teaches it like that...but I digress). The action of the hand turning around the coin should be part of another action such as turning from right to left. Or done undercover of some other action which directs the spectators away from the movement.

Another tip is to watch the tension in your hand pinching the coin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Goshman pinch help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL