The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Backdrops (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
I have been looking at different backdrops and I like the look, packing and setup of the spiderflex.

Does anyone have one or has anyone seen one close up? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
Kent
Jeff007
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Jeff007
Not sure if it will help you any, but there is a little talk about it in the below thread.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&27
Ray Anderson
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Ray Anderson
I just saw a spiderflex at a friends show last nite. I thought it was very practical and nice looking. My friends set-up had two "spider-like" spines and a place in-between them for use as an entrance and exit. The overall dimensions of his backdrop were about 8' tall by 12' wide. The curtain was a deep blue. It was the perfect backdrop for a small show that needed an area to keep props hidden until use. It took him about 10 minutes to put together.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
I am not an illusionist and have never done any Grand illusion thus far but I plan to someday. When I look at people like Copperfield and Lance Burton who regularly perform in large theatres with MASSIVE backdrops it always puzzles me as to how they setup the extremely large ones.

Copperfield uses a solid backdrop (it is almost like a one color checker board) to help the illusion in The Vanishing Camera and Big Black Box. How do you guys carry those type around and set them up?

Jakks
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
The drops are folded in a specific way and stored in rolling boxes. When they are to be used, stagehands take the drop and unfold it out onto the stage.

Then the flyman brings in a pipe and the drop is tied to it and weights are loaded into an arbor to counter the weight of what is being flown. Then the drop is flown out and hangs in the fly tower until it needs to be flown in for the performance.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Wow.......thanks!

Jakks
magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
The Spider Flex system is produced in Berlin, Germany. There will also be a stand at the FISM this year.

Here is the webage:
http://www.spiderbackdrop.com/spider.html

Markus
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
Duane Laflin in Montana is a distributor of the Spider System. I believe his link is http://www.laflinmagic.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I can not recommend the Spiderflex system enough. I have used one for the past 2 years and it takes 5 minutes to set up (one person) and looks GREAT!
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
248 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
SpiderFlex is the way to go, definitely. Easy up, easy down, easy transport, looks great.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
turnermagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
For those who can't afford SpiderFlex, you might want to try using 9' - 12' tall telescopic tripods with a 10' telescopic cross bar. And have a queen or king size bed sheet airbrushed with a good design including your name. That's what I use. I have 3 different backgrounds.

Dynamike
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
Okay...I've been there with the rinky dink backdrops and the guys with no budgets and those who just want to put on the best show that they can. Take heed.

Buy surplus parachute material and burlap or muslin or canvas or whatever the heck you can find.

Parachutes for instance can be picked up and flown from a single pick point overhead. Lit with fresnel shinbusters from below and lekos from above, you can achieve fifty different looks in 30 minutes. Add wigglelights and the choices are now almost limitless.

Parachute material is cheap (if purchased used), light and translucent. All you need is a rigger who can rig a pick point that can carry seven pounds of fabric, and the A-frame ladder or Genielift to get him into the air. If he does lights as well, all the better for you.

I've seen a lot of otherwise smart people spend a lot of bucks for something that looks like crap and I've seen others pull off miracles for a few bucks and a case of beer.

Anyone is welcome to contact me through personal message for more information if they wish.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Dr Jakks -

A little more on how the big guys carry around their backdrops just FYI.

David Copperfield used to use more backdrops in his shows back when he was doing illusions like Flying. Right now his show is quite a bit more intimate and for the most part the stage is decorated very sparingly.

However, he still carries with him lots of if not all of the soft goods (curtains) used in the show including a rolling black traveler, legs, and a cool backdrop or two. These, like Backroomboy said, are all carried in rolling road cases. During load in they are brought onto the stage and connected to the flys right out of the box.

His props are handled similarly. The road cases are often the same size as the props, and the props and set pieces are only broken down a little bit before they are put in to the case. The motorcyle appearance prop actually gets hoisted up by a chain motor, then lowered into its box, then rolled off stage and onto the truck.

During the final show of a run, the props are all being broken down and packed up behind the curtain while David performs the rest of the show in front of it.

DC uses very little of what the theater itself has. Almost everything is his and is carried with the tour, including curtains, lighting, video, sound, props.

--Jack Smile
Daktari
View Profile
Regular user
USA
154 Posts

Profile of Daktari
Just spent a few days with Barry Mitchell and his new book on creativity will be out next month. It has details on how to make a spiderflex type system for about $100 using a simple object found at your local discount store. Is it good? You bet. I built one while I was there using a screw driver in 30 minutes. It is super strong and lightweight. I get nothing for plugging this but it saved me a bundle. The book should be at some of the bigger dealers pretty soon or go to BarryMitchell.com .
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
Daktari... smells like wire rope and turnbuckles.

I have seen the motorcycle appearance done in centre house with a run-around and smoke caps and a pneumatic lift device built with aircraft accumulator tanks. And fold down handlebars...
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Jack,

So where do you find these MASSIVE backdrops? I noticed in his current show the only large backdrop was for the squeezebox. The rest of the drops were either VERY simple or the effect was simply done in front of the curtain.

Also, in his Metamorphosis/Coccoon the organic container is hoisted into the air. He has done this several times on TV talk shows and such... what type of machinery would be that stable and portable?

Thanks,
Jakks
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
Don't forget the important difference between backdrops and scrims.

Scrims can be front or backlit, producing two effects for the price of one.

In answer to previous post ... massive drops only are used where there is a proper theatrical fly system.

Rigging is not very portable. It either exists in a venue or it does not and you have to accomodate yourself to pre-existing conditions.

Something like "Cocoon" could be accomplished with a standard fly system and traveller track ... just don't forget that a human life is in your hands when you do this.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Hello,

Well backdrops can be purchased from various theatrical supply and design outlets. I am sure DC had his custom made. As for the Cocoon effect, I'm not sure what device is used to move the "organic container" upward, but from the way it moves I'd venture to say it is some sort of lift. It didn't look like the fly system to me. But, when I was with the tour this illusion was not being performed.

Incidentally it is one of the best illusions I've seen!

--Jack Smile
themagician64
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of themagician64
You can also get cheap but nice tripods and trusses from Radio Shack. They go up and come down in minutes. We have a discount fabric store in the area, which is great for backdrop material. Check your local phone book. Music stores are great places to check for these items in used condition and great savings.
may the Greats Live On!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
If you are looking for drops, a supplier to New York shows, the Lance Burton show and others is Adirondack Scenic in New York State, near Lake George. Fabulous shop!! I had the tour. While there they were in the process of painting a canvas drop about 125'-150' long, it was for a religous pagent. Huge!!! They have also done rock tours, scrims etc.

I have a set of canvas for "ShaZzam!" which is meant for three stage lines, the Inca temple head is the back one, with two side pieces next, and a front piece that forms the upper border. A three dimensional cave setting! It all packs down into one case.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Backdrops (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL