The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups, balls and table colour? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Looking for some opinions on the colour of table since I've already got the cups. I will be using 2 engraved copper Sherwood cups along with the Thomas Wayne coffee chop cup. I've selected some monkey fist balls from The Ambitious Card in blue/sapphire and need to build a table top to go along with the routine. Any suggestions for the colour of the table top? Thanks!

jeff
P&L2007
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of P&L2007
It sounds like a black table top would look great with the props you mentioned.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
What color are the balls?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Black table cover.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I missed the blue/sapphire. Black or grey would be good. Green might clash. Here's an idea. Take the balls to a fabric store. Put them on the various fabrics. See what they look like.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-07-18 18:52, Bill Palmer wrote:
I missed the blue/sapphire. Black or grey would be good. Green might clash. Here's an idea. Take the balls to a fabric store. Put them on the various fabrics. See what they look like.

That would a great idea...thanks for it.

jeff
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
My cups are a rich dark copper color, my balls are either bright red or yellow (depending on my mood) the velvet is green (a little darker than a billiards table green), and the lip of the table is a flat dark red. I use lemons and a coconut for final loads.

I chose my colors to contrast with their background, even from a distance; and all of my colors are consistent throughout my other props as well -to prevent people from being distracted by clashing colors or textures and for a (very basic) "branding" concept.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Kipee
View Profile
Regular user
UK
156 Posts

Profile of Kipee
This is just out of interest, but besides the actual "look" these colour choices present when coupled together, does anyone ever consider the psychological properties of colours when chosing balls/mats/branding etc?

Take a look here:

http://www.colour-affects.co.uk/psyprop.html

Interesting ideas, when you break things down.
I.e. if you take a commonly found example of a green close up mat and a set of Red balls:

GREEN. Balance
Positive: Harmony, balance, refreshment, universal love, rest, restoration, reassurance, environmental awareness, equilibrium, peace.
Negative: Boredom, stagnation, blandness, enervation.

Green strikes the eye in such a way as to require no adjustment whatever and is, therefore, restful. Being in the centre of the spectrum, it is the colour of balance - a more important concept than many people realise. When the world about us contains plenty of green, this indicates the presence of water, and little danger of famine, so we are reassured by green, on a primitive level. Negatively, it can indicate stagnation and, incorrectly used, will be perceived as being too bland.

RED. Physical
Positive: Physical courage, strength, warmth, energy, basic survival, 'fight or flight', stimulation, masculinity, excitement.
Negative: Defiance, aggression, visual impact, strain.

Being the longest wavelength, red is a powerful colour. Although not technically the most visible, it has the property of appearing to be nearer than it is and therefore it grabs our attention first. Hence its effectiveness in traffic lights the world over. Its effect is physical; it stimulates us and raises the pulse rate, giving the impression that time is passing faster than it is. It relates to the masculine principle and can activate the "fight or flight" instinct. Red is strong, and very basic. Pure red is the simplest colour, with no subtlety. It is stimulating and lively, very friendly. At the same time, it can be perceived as demanding and aggressive.

I.e. could a cups and balls routine drawn from this example demonstrate the actions of the lively, energetic and exciting properties of the little red balls, against a peaceful green background?....

...or are they just balls and a mat?

I just think its interesting and when you think about it, how in a lot of ways this idea of the psychology of colours is incorporated in the decoration of props and various presentations in Magic.

Or is it just me?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This article is fine as far as it goes; however, it omits the most important part of all of it -- the effect of the contrast of colors.

For example, the easiest print to read is black on yellow. The second easiest is yellow on black, then black on white. Blue against red is no good, because the clash of the colors produces a vibratory effect.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My second choice would be the dark green material used on billiard tables.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I haven't broken it down as far as that, but yes -my thinking was along those lines.

I started from the premise "I am not going to wear any of the color black while doing my magic. I don't want to look like David Blaine/Chris Angle..." and I just went from there. The rest of my color palette just suggested itself with that slight inclination.

Quote:
On 2008-07-19 09:35, Kipee wrote:
This is just out of interest, but besides the actual "look" these colour choices present when coupled together, does anyone ever consider the psychological properties of colours when chosing balls/mats/branding etc?

Take a look here:

http://www.colour-affects.co.uk/psyprop.html

Interesting ideas, when you break things down.
I.e. if you take a commonly found example of a green close up mat and a set of Red balls:

GREEN. Balance
Positive: Harmony, balance, refreshment, universal love, rest, restoration, reassurance, environmental awareness, equilibrium, peace.
Negative: Boredom, stagnation, blandness, enervation.

Green strikes the eye in such a way as to require no adjustment whatever and is, therefore, restful. Being in the centre of the spectrum, it is the colour of balance - a more important concept than many people realise. When the world about us contains plenty of green, this indicates the presence of water, and little danger of famine, so we are reassured by green, on a primitive level. Negatively, it can indicate stagnation and, incorrectly used, will be perceived as being too bland.

RED. Physical
Positive: Physical courage, strength, warmth, energy, basic survival, 'fight or flight', stimulation, masculinity, excitement.
Negative: Defiance, aggression, visual impact, strain.

Being the longest wavelength, red is a powerful colour. Although not technically the most visible, it has the property of appearing to be nearer than it is and therefore it grabs our attention first. Hence its effectiveness in traffic lights the world over. Its effect is physical; it stimulates us and raises the pulse rate, giving the impression that time is passing faster than it is. It relates to the masculine principle and can activate the "fight or flight" instinct. Red is strong, and very basic. Pure red is the simplest colour, with no subtlety. It is stimulating and lively, very friendly. At the same time, it can be perceived as demanding and aggressive.

I.e. could a cups and balls routine drawn from this example demonstrate the actions of the lively, energetic and exciting properties of the little red balls, against a peaceful green background?....

...or are they just balls and a mat?

I just think its interesting and when you think about it, how in a lot of ways this idea of the psychology of colours is incorporated in the decoration of props and various presentations in Magic.

Or is it just me?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I vote for Dark Green or Black.
This is based on the materials described.
A lighter green or red mat would not look good and Grey though neutral might not be as good looking with the engraved cups.
Mobius
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Okay I just ordered a complete set of Fab Fruit from Michael Ammar as well as from another Café member. I'd also like to add a table servate. Any new thoughts on colour?

jeff
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
The fab fruit is great, especially the lemons and limes! Fit nicely into the hands...I'd go black for the servante...

G
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Ok color mavens, some help here please.

If you were doing a routine with three different colored balls, what combination would look best. I am so not a color guy.

I found the blue ball vanished (not in the good way) on a green background. I've settled on red white and blue for the ball colors with a black tabletop. The blue is pretty light but I still think it may wash out in the black.

I'd seriously appreciate your input.

Pete, Bill???
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Let me think about that one. btw, have you arrived in Louisville?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Bill,

I'm not. Worse I'm not coming at all. I'll have to make a trip to Texas if I ever want to meet you. That sounds like more fun than a magic convention anyway!!

I had such a tough time at WMS I wimped out.

If I had told you I was heading out there. I apologize. I do not remember it though.

KG
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Hi Kent,
I don't know if this helps much, but the three colored balls you use have competing color values. Blue and yellow are one of the highest contrasting color combos and the red will work also work well against the yellow...but not so much for white. My reco is possibly an acid green table surface. Try going to Home Depot's paint section with your 3 balls (no jokes here) and compare them to the various greens in the acid range and find one that has the right value - bright enough for the blue and red to contrast well, but dark enough for the white to be seen well.
Just my 2 centavos.
All the best,
Jeff
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Sorry you aren't going to make it, Kent. I saw the cups for the auction yesterday, and they are rather interesting.

I got to thinking about this color problem last night after I posted, and I came to a similar concluaion to Jeff's.

There are some green close-up mats, almost an olive green, that would be a good contrast for those three colors. You can also make your own.

Also, a grey would work fairly well. Take the balls to a fabric shop and compare the way they look on various fabrics, including automobile headliner material.

Hancock Fabrics is a great source for this stuff.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Good call Bill...I didn't even think of grey.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups, balls and table colour? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL