The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Winter Control (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
aron
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of aron
Vandy,

Of course I hope to make a buck out of it, isn't that what most people want when they publish something?
The main reason of me publishing it though, is to give back to the community in my way, and this is it Smile

THanks!
Aron
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Right-o. Good luck and God Bless, I hope you sell a thousand copies. Suckers.

Once in while I make a killing on a customer and someone will ask "how you sleep at night"? I just tell them "on a big brass bed that I paid cash for". Of course I make no pretense of "giving back" when I conduct business.

It's all good, if someone looks at your demo and shells out the dough for it, that's their business. I'm sure you will sell some. Some people will probably love the move. Others will get, at the very least, a lesson in "value".
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2008-07-22 16:06, aron wrote:
Vandy,

Of course I hope to make a buck out of it, isn't that what most people want when they publish something?
The main reason of me publishing it though, is to give back to the community in my way, and this is it Smile

THanks!
Aron

if that was true, people would not submit tricks to genii for example, or other sources
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Aron still waiting on answers to my questions...you have answered others why not mine?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
There are some heavy hitters trying to give advise here and ya just don't seem to get it man! Why not take this over to "LearnMagicTricks.Org" where ya could achieve Master Blaster DemiGod status!
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2008-07-22 19:20, MickeyPainless wrote:
There are some heavy hitters trying to give advise here

Just out of curiosity, who would you be referring to?
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Quote:
On 2008-07-22 19:32, Chris SD wrote:
Quote:

I don't know who Mickey was referring to, but I'd consider Bob Farmer and Ben Train to be fairly knowledgeable guys...
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
Really? That handling? Everyone should know.

Alright then- name me three sources that explain that move, and application, as shown.

But, lets suppose the move IS a classic, and everyone should know it (which is a very silly comment)- meaning the poster is a beginner. In which case, wouldn't it be better to point him in the right direction rather then to accost him?

Eagerly awaiting your response,
Ben

FAIR enufff...I wasn't clear if anyone thinks the so-called winter control is the "classic" move I was alluding to. I was talking about the double lift and control using it-book to look in is the royal road to card magic with several uses including the ambitious card routine(a real classic btw). finally I apologize as it appears I have insulted you.
I wish everyone well.
Deckless Wonder
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Chris, if ya wanna be a "hitter", that's cool! Smile
In this context I'm simply referring to those who seem to be offering sage advice on the matter based on both knowledge and experience!
Barry would be correct in naming Ben and Bob as 2 I respect and I think there may be a few others that might have perused a book or two and maybe even shuffled a deck here and there!
I'm certainly not a "hitter" however I feel I am pretty good at viewing things through "spectator/layman" eyes and IMO this sleight SCREAMS "move", both when and where! I'd go for something more economical myself!

Mick
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Aron,

It is my opinion that you are making several mistakes here.

First, you believe that this is a quality control.
Second you're marketing it as such.
Third, when people who have more experience and knowledge than you give you negative feedback, you defend your first two mistakes, but claim you're selling this because you "want to give something back".

There are more, but unless you're willing to be forthright with yourself, I don't see any hope of having a productive discussion here.

Steven Youell
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'm having a hard time figuring out why folks are giving the time of day to this "gentlemen of public service" who SO desperately wants to give back........for six bucks.

It's a terrible move, nobody is going to buy it, and he started fishing from post #1 for compliments, not opinions.

These three pages of posts contain only negative reviews of the move, yet aron can't stop posting thank-you's, gimmee more reviews, and.......OH YEAH, the name of the effect!

It's lame, let it die its well deserved death. It was nothing more than a "for sale" item looking for free advertising from the get go.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Hey Phread,

no offense at all bud, and thanks for the clarification. I was worried that it might have been a very popular type of move (and, on some level, it is!) that I was unfamiliar with.

No hard feelings, and just for clarification I think this isn't something that has appeared a lot of places in print...

for a reason.

The first time I watched the video I wasn't sure what I was supposed to think happened- like in the famous "bluff shift" story from Darwin's Strong Magic. After the second viewing I figured it out.

Now, here is a much better method. How can I say that without sounding like I have an ego? Simple- it's not mine. It's Mr. Verners.

Do a double LIFT.
Display card.
As you turn palm down allow the lower card to fall on to the deck.
Proceed.

It appears that the card never comes in contact with the pack.

Ben
p.s.
I'm a heavy hitter? Lol. I'm not even a player in my own TOWN! I guess posting on every topic payed off...
p.p.s.
I can't believe aaron, the guy I was trying to defend, called me out! The world is mad! God is dead! Marlo's still publishing! Ieeee!
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

I can hold anyone I like to "HH" status Ben so just suck it up and play the role man!
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4636 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2008-07-22 23:09, MickeyPainless wrote:
I can hold anyone I like to "HH" status Ben so just suck it up and play the role man!

My name was mentioned with Bob Farmers- I can die a happy man.

By the way, Mr. Farmer, you write THE BEST AD COPY of any magician ALIVE. My entire family has followed the exploits of you and Von Katzner for quite a while (I mean that too!).

Looking forward to seeing you again,
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for all sorts of FREE VIRTUAL PROGRAMMING for magicians!
aron
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of aron
Hey all,

I think ill just leave this thread alone. Half of the posts I see are just to put me down or **** other people off...
I'm sorry if I offended anyone, it was never my intention to do so!

Thanks to ya'll who did post serieus comments!
Cheers,
Aron
aron
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of aron
Quote:
On 2008-07-22 19:03, JTW wrote:
Aron still waiting on answers to my questions...you have answered others why not mine?

JTW,
You asked me : What do the spectators, who have caught you out on the move, say?

As ive said before, ive never been caught with it. I don't have another explanation.

Cheers,
Aron
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Hey...

So what is this... is it like a 'how not to control a card' control...
Honestly, why would you want to show a spectator how not to do a control...
I don't get it, it'd be better to just control the card than show how not to...
This is one of the worse ideas I have seen, least whatever follows can't be worse...

Ok, but seriously, that is a flawed and unuseful control unless that is how you would naturally handle a deck. When you are controlling, you really want as little attention on that exact moment as possible, whilst still having them see... yours would be hard not to see. The move may have some uses, but as a control, in my opinion, it is terrible.

But you can enjoy using it, I mean if it works for you that's cool, but definitely not for me.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2008-07-22 19:41, BarryFernelius wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-22 19:32, Chris SD wrote:
Quote:

I don't know who Mickey was referring to, but I'd consider Bob Farmer and Ben Train to be fairly knowledgeable guys...

id consider jason, he has some really nice stuff
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Thanks Joshua (that is if you're referring, if not I apologize).

Aron I sent you a PM with the questions you left unanswered here.
Bob Farmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic Forest
399 Posts

Profile of Bob Farmer
Harry Lorayne has a solution for this situation that I like a lot because it's weird and all wrong visually but it works. It's the "Illogical Double Lift," pp. 30-32, QUANTUM LEAPS.

As to my ad copy: I think an ad should be at least as entertaining as the trick it's touting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Winter Control (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL