The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Apollo vs. Fender vs. AmpliVox (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Apollo Wireless Transmitter
http://www.camcor.com/cgi-bin/cat/id=115......05N.html

Fender Passport P10WE (UHF) PA System
http://www.qualityelectronics.net/fepap1upasy1.html

AmpliVox SW222 Wireless Portable Public Address System
http://ampli.com/s222.htm

All three are battery powered. The Apollo is the only one that is small enough to carry around unnoticed. The Fender and AmpliVox has hook ups to where music can be added. I was thinking about having the Fender or AmpliVox undetected by having the skirt of my table surrounding it. One big disavantage with the Fender and AmpliVox is too loud of noise if the city ordiance sound level for street performers is a certain range. I'm sure they both have sound levels.

Do you perfer a different sound system. What are your comments?
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1080 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Buskers with amplifiers,.... nothing hurts, has hurt, the art/profession in more ways then this. Uncapable performers, who can´t get crowds, turn it up. Capable performers, who CAN get crowds, turn it up;.... in order to play for more. Most performers, inside their circles, have absolutely NO IDEA just how loud they are! More towns restrict Buskers for this reason then any other.

What were once `Spectacles´, shows for the eyes, have become `Oracles´, treats for the ears. The Magic skills, the Juggling skills, the visual Puppetery has vastly declined. The Verbal Entertainment has exploded.

For me entertainment is entertainment, I like and respect all forms. The Streets, however, with all of it´s natural, unnatural, and un-controlible sounds; for me, is such a `natural´ for visual, intimate,.... un-amplified shows.

In my eyes, nothing takes `the busking spontanity´ out of a show more, then a guy standing there with a load of gear and a headset on.

quietly yours,... the silent minority,
gallagher
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Big crowds in the US are typically accompanied by live bands. I don't often use an amp unless there's a live band. Then it's gear up or go home....or mime it out.

Dynamike, Fender makes good gear and 50 watts is a good amount of power/projection. I've never seen any of the 3 items you posted links to, but I like the middle one the best.

I won't recommend my set ups. They're wired all goofy. Getting around the need for AC is a challenge.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1776 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Beware of the gel cell, it will work as described ONLY if you follow all the directions on care and charging religiously, EVERY TIME, otherwise it will die the death on you. If you are planing on ever taking it on an airplane though, it is the only choice.
Bally Hoo and Hullabaloo
one for me and none for you.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3163 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I used to busk without an amp, mostly because there wern't any good inexpensive options. Now a few companies have steped up and made decent "turnkey" all-in-one options that are hard to look down one's nose at.

Now I doubt I'd busk without one if I can help it.

Quote:
On 2008-07-21 07:40, gallagher wrote:
Buskers with amplifiers,.... nothing hurts, has hurt, the art/profession in more ways then this. Uncapable performers, who can´t get crowds, turn it up. Capable performers, who CAN get crowds, turn it up;.... in order to play for more. Most performers, inside their circles, have absolutely NO IDEA just how loud they are! More towns restrict Buskers for this reason then any other.

What were once `Spectacles´, shows for the eyes, have become `Oracles´, treats for the ears. The Magic skills, the Juggling skills, the visual Puppetery has vastly declined. The Verbal Entertainment has exploded.

For me entertainment is entertainment, I like and respect all forms. The Streets, however, with all of it´s natural, unnatural, and un-controlible sounds; for me, is such a `natural´ for visual, intimate,.... un-amplified shows.

In my eyes, nothing takes `the busking spontanity´ out of a show more, then a guy standing there with a load of gear and a headset on.

quietly yours,... the silent minority,
gallagher
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you guys, I appreciate your time. I won't really know if I need the sound system until I try it without one.

In Detroit "busking" is qualified as "begging". That is why Detroit does not have a busking permit. If I am eager enough, I am going to put together an act and get my butt down there anyway this month. I am going to add some mental magic effects too. It will not be for the money. It will be the for the fun of trying it out.

The #1 problem that worries me about the sound system is space. If I do purchase one I hope I will be able to fit it in my table top.

Posted: Jul 22, 2008 7:53pm
Gaddy, I almost missed your post dealing with the Hisonic: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=5662996 The price is a lot less. How long can the system stay on with a fully charged battery?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3163 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Mike-

HERE is my original post on the hisonic when I first got it. My opinion has not changed, except to say that the fidelity isn't quite good enough to "crank it up all the way to eleven" for a big circle show. The distortion does get annoying.

I've had the amp "on" for 8+ hours straight, but I always turn off the wireless transmitter when I'm not actively using it. The amp has never actually ran out of juice on me, though I'm usually not out for more than 6 hours. The system can also run off AC while charging.

Just thought I'd mention this as an inexpensive option. It's served me quite well so far.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Apollo vs. Fender vs. AmpliVox (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL