The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Water Levitation Themes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Ever since seeing Copperfield's Brazillian Water Levitation I have been enthralled with it! Once I learned of the method I have been wracking my brain to come up with a presentation that is practical and very theatrical. I, of course, do not want to make a tribal setting and play Rythm of the Heat(though I love any and all Peter Gabriel music), but something dramatic and theatrical.

Jakks
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Doug Henning was one of the first to perform this illusion(in fact, I think David's was the one Doug used when Doug sold his equipment).

Doug used a lighter presentation. A girl and him walked up and played in the water and then he levitated her and they finished by playing and splashing water on each other.

I know one of the original illusions had three phases...first levitating on water, second levitating on fire, and then she vanishes. I only know of one of these ever being built for some magician performing in France. I would have loved to have seen it.

Steven
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
Kirby Van Birch bought Henning (gaughan)water Lev rig and is still using it in Bramson.It was the first one built.

Copperfield was a rig built by Gaughan.

Owens Magic Built a unit that incorporated the asrah for Brett without the water. They make the water fountain rig as well.
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Thanks, Zigmont...My memory is failing me, I believe. Oh well....
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I'm in love with the water fountain impaling. I'm gonna have to get myself one of those.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Magic74Josh
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
101 Posts

Profile of Magic74Josh
I would like to get info on where I can purchase many of these illusion systems.
Magically Yours,
Magic74Josh
Magic7Josh@aol.com
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
John gaughan rig 25-35,000.00
Bill Smith magic ventures rig 18,000.00- 25,000.00
Owen Magic (I bought one in 1988 for 20,000 with cases) 25,000.00
Mendoza magiccraft would be 30,000.00 Plus

It a platform lev with water system so it's huge
Just do a google search....
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
Steve Z. I have been told by various sources that DC had the Henning prop, too. I was told how bad a shape it was and almost rusted through. I had an assistant a few years back who worked with Van Burch (that's another story) who told me she remembered the Water Levi as being a newly mfd. trick. from "someone in Las Vegas". Who is responsible for the gimmick that allows her to "float" around DC? I am not saying you are wrong, but that I heard the same thing Steve Steele said in the above thread.
LanceRich
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of LanceRich
Peter,

Have you actually seen the Owen's Water Impaled performed?

I am intrigued with the idea, and the picture of the effect, but, I would have to see it live to really appreciate it I think.

What is it like live?

Also, do you know anyone currently performing the effect?
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
I like the idea of the Asrah vanish at the end. I really like story pieces...like the tribal theme Copperfield used. I have a quick clip of Doug Henning performing the levitation and it loked good. I rememeber Brett doin this on the WGM and I just thought it loked like another levitation, but when I saw Copperfield do this I was really amazed! I think presentation really plays a part in this levi(though the girl spinning around his body was a nice touch). Any good presentational ideas?

Jakks
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
503 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I don't remember Brett doing the Water Levitation on WGM. The only levitation I remember him doing was the 360 levitation where the girl appeared levitating in front of him...

Maybe I missed the water one? Smile
zigmont
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of zigmont
I have been told by various sources that DC had the Henning prop, too. I was told how bad a shape it was and almost rusted through. I had an assistant a few years back who worked with Van Burch (that's another story) who told me she remembered the Water Levi as being a newly mfd. trick. from "someone in Las Vegas". Who is responsible for the gimmick that allows her to "float" around DC?

Kirby bought henning water lev rig for 30,000.00 and thought he bought the rights as well.
When DC performed his Gaughan model in Vegas , Kirby got mad and they made an agreement to share another illusion so kirby could do a Dc design Illusion.

I was back sateg at Dc show and hung out at the water lev rig once, so I know that they all leak and its a gaughan and not hennings.

Most water Lev are made from marine wood and don't rust thru. Kirby bought the nightmagic Owen Magic water lev rig that supplied to that show and had two at one point.

The spin around gimmick was discovered by accident by the Pendragons while working on a lev with a vanish feature. Gaughan designed that feature.

Don't listen to Dancers
Zigmont
Magic F/X
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
I'm reminded of someone who sat in the audience as Lance Burton kissed and otherwise seduced the jumper he performed his flying effect with....

"Oh no, someone cried...not another **** levitation!!

(snicker!!)
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Corey,

Brett used the Water levitation but no water, I think. I may be wrong, but that's what it looked like.

Jakks
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
Brett used the Water levitation but no water I think. I may be wrong, but that's what it looked like.

In other words the 360 levitation as Corey rightly said.

The Water Impalement from Owen seems rather illogical to me since water of course is a non-solid medium.
The fact that water passes through the body is not strong as strong in my opinion as the levitation where the water is holding the weight of the person floating on top.

You only have to wash your hands in the tap to produce the same effect as the Water Impalement. The fountain base also looks so cumbersome?
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Lee Alex wrote:
"The Water Impalement from Owen seems rather illogical to me since water of course is a non-solid medium.
The fact that water passes through the body is not strong as strong in my opinion as the levitation where the water is holding the weight of the person floating on top.

You only have to wash your hands in the tap to produce the same effect as the Water Impalement. The fountain base also looks so cumbersome?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really Lee? Wow! Not to me, you have the same effect as the water holding up the weight of the person, and then the person drops and the water penetrates the body.

Putting your hand under a tap hardly recreates the same effect! The water is traveling down, not up. It is visibly clear that the water is running around the hand and not through it, and finally your wrist and arm is attached to the hand(holding it under the tap)Nothing magical there I agree! But SUSPEND a person on water that is shooting UP, and then the body drops down and is clearly being PENETRATED by the water without any visible means of support holding the person impaled on the water fountain, now to me that's pretty #$%@!^ magical! Illogical? I thought that was the name of the game.

As for the base, It's supposed to look like a fountatin, which it does. Being an Illusionist I expect to transport larger than life props sometimes. I think the fountain base looks wild. Most imapling bases I have seen are rather large with a mirror ball that holds the spike or sword, with no excuse for having it. At least with the fountain you have an excuse to have a base at all.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
mikefallen
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of mikefallen
I still love doug Henning water levitation... it was so amazing to see it! And very beautifull from the artistic point of view I think... details can be found on doug`s book
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2003-04-03 23:35, zigmont wrote:

The spin around gimmick was discovered by accident by the Pendragons while working on a lev with a vanish feature. Gaughan designed that feature.

I remember years ago we were building battery powered levitations. I worked two days to modify our prototype so that it would not spin. Shortly after that everyone started doing the rotation. Two days waisted. Smile
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Back to the topic, the french magician Dani Lary used a big sea-shell with her assistant disguised as a mermaid for the water levitation.

Oliver.
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
My friend Terry Evanswood in Pigeon Forge does a titanic themed one.
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Water Levitation Themes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL