The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
If you only could use effects out of this book, could you be successful? And what top effects would you use in your show?
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I think you'd have to define "successful". Obviously we're talking about introductory material, but if you're looking to perform for real audiences, then there's plenty of stuff in there.

If I had to do an entire set of five routines with material out of Wilson, then assuming a parlor-like setting, I'd probably do something like...

1. Sponge balls
2. Continuous Coins followed by Coins Through Table
3. The Sucker Torn and Restored Napkin
4. A couple of simple card forces followed by The Genii Saves The Day, with my money on the line
5. Cups and Balls climaxing with three lemons, climaxed by Bill To Lemon (I'd rework the Bill To Lemon so that the Bill is vanished before the Cups and Balls starts.)

Granted, that set involves a lot of magician messing around with the audience (sucker effect, pretending to be in trouble in The Genii Saves The Day, and the Bill To Lemon at the end) so it would probably take a certain kind of performer to pull that off. But if I had to abandon the stuff I currently do in favour of only Mark Wilson tricks, I'd feel alright about that set.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
There are successful magicians who have their entire act from CCIM. I use the "last trick in the book" as a great closer; gets a huge reaction. His simple illusions are great for the dollar strapped magician, and they all play very well.
There is enough magic in CCIM that you could do close-up, parlor, and stage magic all from the book, and have a good show. (Of course, how well you do them and present them has a lot to do with your success.)
There are magicians who do their entire act out of Tarbells, and there are magicians who do their entire act out of Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic. You don't have to spend a fortune to have a good act.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Great book. Everyone that wants to learn magic would do fine starting here.
Gimpy
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
The Mark Wilson Course, written by Walter Gibson, is incredibly dense with wonderful material. There is no question at all that you could be a successful full time pro using just the material in this classic.

It's been noted over and over on this forum that it's not so much the magic, but the performer. I've known several magicians whose technique was only modest at best, but whose performing persona was first rate. They worked all the time and for very good fees.

The best thing about the Wilson Course is it's wonderful balance with the context of a really stunning variety of excellent material. Best,
Brad Burt
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
The foundational skills taught in that book are ones that can carry you through a lifetime of professional work.

Magicians of any worth are not "packet of the week" people - they are foundational perfectionists that understand that at the heart of good magic lies the skills they were taught at the very beginning.

Master the basics and the old school materials, and you will blow away all the YouTube kiddies.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Hmm. I bought mine maybe a year ago, and I haven't gotten around to opening it yet. So many books and DVDs to investigate. Maybe I should give it a try. Thanks for reminding me. Smile
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Owen Thomas
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Owen Thomas
Thanks, everyone, I have been inspired. I always make excuses to myself for not being a good magician because I don't have the latest, greatest gimmicks and effects.
Shane Lawson
View Profile
New user
West Virginia
10 Posts

Profile of Shane Lawson
The Complete Course in Magic is one of the first magic books I ever bought, and it is still the one I most frequently open. There is so much stuff, and the majority of it is very good. The biggest sections are on Cards (the different shuffles, cuts, controls, and forces, as well as a couple of flourishes), Coins (including a few routines with shells and such), he includes extensive instructions on how to do his sponge ball routine (as well as a billiard ball routine including finger flourishes), and he has a section that tells you how to build your own inexpensive stage props such as the Square Circle (the Alakazam Hat) and how to gimmick handkerchiefs and paper bags to use in tricks. He also offers helpful tips and suggestions as to what tricks to use in what occasions. I enjoyed the book and still use lots of the effects in my acts today! I think that this book should be in every magician's library. Bar none.

I use:
The Handkerchief Coin Vanish, Cut and Restored Rope, the Impossible Rope Escape, The Great Coat Escape, and the Chapstick Caper.
~Shane.
<BR>
<BR>“Logic only gives man what he needs...Magic gives him what he wants."
<BR>~Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
<BR> - Benjamin Disraeli
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
The table I use was built using the plan in Wilson's Complete Course.
Come to think of it, a good chunk of my material came from it too.
Yeah, it's good.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
The build your own illusions section is great. I've used at least two of these at corporate functions.

:magicrabbit:
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
I love this book.
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
ohiobigdog
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of ohiobigdog
I got the book from the library and I'd agree that it is a good book. Now if you compare it to stuff you see on ellusionist and elsewhere, a lot of the tricks seem kinda cheesy. I do think there is a lot of really good stuff in there though. You just have to pick the wheat from the chaff.
electric.ceu
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I have
130 Posts

Profile of electric.ceu
This is a great book. It's available on Ebay, right now as I post this. I've seen it sell for around $10.00. I'm sure that's less then I paid for it 20 years ago.
Timothy James
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
You can order it direct from Mark WIlson's web site autographed for 20 bucks.
http://www.markwilsonmagic.com/MWCCM.htm

Amazon also has several listings for "brand new" starting at under 10 bucks.

I used to have the smaller Cyclopedia, but I'm definitely getting this one.

Ed
Raymagic11
View Profile
New user
Holland
63 Posts

Profile of Raymagic11
I heard there are two versions indeed: What is the difference with regard to content between the complete course and the cyclopedia?
"A magician has the skill to conceal the skill"
- Paul Wilson
"Magic is driven by emotion and conflict"
- Tommy Wonder
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
Gotta love the "Out to Lunch" principle. I forget what he calls it in the book, but it is the trick with the genii. I am always surpised how well that principle works for real people. Whenever I see a trick with out to lunch I have to remember that I have been reading Wilson's book for a long time so of course I am going to see right through the trick. But I have never had a problem to get it to fly for real people.

Another gem in the Wilson books is his effects with Double Backers and Double facers. The tricks are basic but essentials.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Whenever I see this Book listed on eBAY, AMAZON, etc. for less than $10.00, I buy it can gift it to an aspiring magician. nuff said?

Even if you never use a single trick, his presentaion of "Double view" -- how you see it and how the audience sees it is invaluable. Wich every book did that.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
There are 2 versions of the same book- one is sort of a "travel size", smaller and thicker, but they are the same content, I believe.
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Rockabilly
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria, BC,
158 Posts

Profile of Rockabilly
The Mark Wilson CCIM is a fantastic magical resource. Santa Claus gave me my copy when I was about 10. 23 years later I still pick it up and consult it.
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL