The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best shredder for snow animator (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Dear fellow

I searched like a crazy on internet about a shredder to make confetti for snow animator but I found a lot of strange cut shapes I mean very narrow wide and very long ...I want to find a shredder who cut the paper in something very close to shape for a snow storming ....for example Kevin James use Achiever 5000
I searched but I found that Achiever 5000 had a paper shape Shred size: 1/25" x 1/4"
If this dimmensions are well for confetti I will go nuts.
Please help with an info about what shredder is the best.
Thank you
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
My opinion - shredder paper bits will never be satisfactory. The weight of the tissue is critical and no shredder I have found will cut properly without gunking up (technical term there) or scrunching (another tech term) the paper into an unflyable condition.

Buying the pre-cut blocks form india works better than do it yourself --- but I have always prefered the smaller quality controlled stuff. More expensive -- but works well every time.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Do you know a dealer who sell snow storm confetti I mean slowdrop confetti at a very well price ...some oferts at a big quantity???
Thank you
Knight Magic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
61 Posts

Profile of Knight Magic
I have used the shredder that Kevin James recommended for years now, I think the name is Achiever something. It's the one that he uses and I believe that you can still find them online. I'm peforming on a ship right now so I'm away from home or I could tell you the name for sure. The shredder looks old fashioned, but it cuts the paper in quarter inch squares and it works great. It does take a little finesse though, if you put more than 4 tri-folded sheets of tissue paper in it will get jammed, but otherwise it works perfectly. It also helps to add a bit of baby powder to the shreds, using your hands to mix it in well and separate any squares stuck together.
Knight Magic
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
61 Posts

Profile of Knight Magic
I'm back home again in a month so if you have trouble finding it, PM me and I'll get you the full name of the shredder. Good luck - Kyle
Johnny_Dee
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Johnny_Dee
You can also contact Kevin James and ask him. He told me the exact name few years ago but I don't remember. The shredder is pretty expensive.

Johnny
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
164 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
This is the shreader kevin james uses

Here is a link it

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/S......atId=226

Good luck
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
What papers work best?

Thanks!
Dan.
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

If you go to tiger direct .com

You can order it from the USA

That I an not sure I use like wrapping tissue like the type they us in

Stores that sell glass items.

However I would caution you that you really need to know his prep method to make the best Snow . I am not and will not share that information. I hope you can understand. Kevin spent many years of hard work perfecting this method and it would not be fair to him or anyone else who has shelled out the 1500.00 for the effect to just tell every one how to make the loads.

All the best

Mike
estone
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of estone
Any other shredder being used for snow, the suggested one is hard to find.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Is the box of 12 for $20 too expensive for you? I mean from reading above it seems like a lot of work. My time is more valuable to me than to just sit around preparing snowstorms when they are so inexpensive. Just a thought.
estone
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of estone
Hey thanks for your help.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Is there a bulk source for pre-made snow packets?

Thanks,
Dan.
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

If you have ever seen the loads Kevin James uses, the paper is cut into very, very small squares, and with SA IV, it will blow the snow 20 feet in the air! Commercial made loads are too big and don't really get enough air time.
If you're doing one or two shows, the pre-made loads are fine, but if you work a lot, you have to make your own.

Just my thoughts,

Mike
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

The shredder that Kevin suggests does not seem to be available anymore. Has anyone come across another suitable model?

Thanks,
Dan.
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
I use a paper cutter to cut the strips of tissue paper, and wrap them in a layer of tissue paper and glue it. Then I use a fine toothed hacksaw blade to cut the paper loafs into the size of confetti I want.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
First off, I agree with byudad that my time is way too important to spend shredding paper.
There are plenty of great magic companies selling pre-made storms.

I have personally performed the Snowstorm for over 2 decades, probably 3 or 4 thousand times, and I can say without a doubt pre-made storms are the way to go.

As for who sells them - there are many people that sell them, but I will only recommend one.
Seo Magic is without a doubt the best I ever used. They also produce the slow fetti to make it stay up in air longer, and it is called Tanzaku. If you call them, tell Daisuke Seo I sent you!

I use one med regular snow and one Tanzaku, and WOW, it is much more impressive than any shredded tissue paper you will make.

I have seen performances with the shredded stuff, and there is no comparison.

Yes, there are dealers that sell it cheaper, but my opinion is that it is not as good as Seo magic.
Denny and Lee sell the Larry Maples Snowstorms (although Larry does not make it himself anymore). This snow is pretty good (I used it for years before I found Seo Magic), and it's a little less money.

There are a few others out there, you can search magic shops.

What I will tell you is to STAY AWAY from the Snowstorms from India. Yes, they are cheaper, but that is because they... well, they are cheaper. They are way too heavy and do not work well. They clump up.

Regardless of which method you go with, the most important thing to remember is to make sure you have a great story to go with the routine.

Good luck and keep the magic alive.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Sam,

I really appreciate all of your insights and experience. Your reply is most helpful and will influence how I organize this routine. I love the emotions, poetry and splendor this little trick can deliver.

Thanks!
Dan.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
You are welcome, Dan.

Thanks for the kind words.

You're right, this is the ultimate pack small, play HUGE illusion out there, when done right.

That is, with the right story and the right emotion, you can really wow an audience.

Have fun performing it.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
danielluskmagic
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of danielluskmagic
Sam,

I am glad to see you on the Magic Café. Snowstorm is going to be a topic of this months FCM Podcast. Your routine will be mentioned, since it has been the best live performance I have seen of the effect. I got to see it back about 4 years ago when you were at the convention. We met only once there at the Steak n' Shake. That was my first time at a convention, and I was probably a little annoying since I was trying to soak up all I could from being around professional magicians for the first time. Thank you for being kind anyway and putting up with my questions.

I am now a full time professional in Indianapolis, IN. ------ anyway.....back to Snowstorm. Thanks for the info about Seo...it looks like a great product.

http://www.themagicpodcast.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Best shredder for snow animator (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL