The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Indian Cups and Balls Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He uses several different techniques.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
sherifmayika
View Profile
New user
Cochin, Kerala
96 Posts

Profile of sherifmayika
Quote:
On 2009-11-14 14:06, Bo J wrote:
I believe that this routine is one of the better and very direct:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xejx3_indianstreetmagic

I agree.
Quote:
It seems that the T-palm is used instead of the C-palm. It seems much easier to use the T-palm.

He uses c-palm only. He is so perfect in in his job. There is a phrase among cups and balls "through ball". This means quickly insert c-palmed ball into the cup. This move is different from how Steve Dacri inserts balls into cups.

Indian street magicians don't learn many tricks. They learn and perform only 3-5 routines in their entire life. Most of them learn magic from their parents.

The cup used by this magician is kitchen utensil.

Any one know who is this magician?
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2985 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Offering bowls are a wonderful tip, Pete. Thanks!

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Finally got a chance to watch this performer. He really does the loading to perfection. Thanks for posting.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
Very interesting thread and full of information. I have seen a magician perform Indian Cups and Balls with chicken in Jaipur. It was amazing.

Anyone interested in seeing a street magician in Delhi must go to Kathputli Colony. It is a slum though, but full of street artists. Even Ishammuddin, the Indian magician who revived the first part of India Rope Trick, lives here.

Where can I get the Pete Biro book on Indian Cups and Balls?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I would hazard a guess that you could get it from Pete Biro. Just send him a private message.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2985 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Just wanted to share that per Pete Biro's suggestion, I found three brass butter lamps/offering bowls. The extra small size is 2.5 inches in diameter and 2 inches high. It works great, and three will set you back a scant $18 plus shipping.
http://tibetantreasures.com/tthtml/ttmer......mps.html

Best,
Neil
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thanks for that link, Neil!

If you get these, you really need to buy Pete Biro's book on the Indian Cups & Balls! I do believe (correct me, Pete, if I am mistaken), that there is an extra tip on using the top of the cup as a hold-out! A most valuable book, in my opinion.

Pete had a similar set he used to sell, and the book that came with it, describes that feature in detail. Pete's web page is:

http://www.petebiro.com

Pete just posted that, "...in one of Eddie Joseph's routines he suggests using baby bottle NIPPLES instead of balls." What a GREAT idea! I'm going to look into that. Plus, if you are looking for a very classy, wooden set of Indian Cups, this site has them marked down from $80 to $10! I just bought them, and I'm so glad I did! What a find! (It's the cups only, balls are not included) Check 'em out:

http://magic4less.com/Merchant5/merchant......ode=CLUP

They're probably not going to last long, so I'd hurry!

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Excuse me, but I should add, that these wooden cups have the Chop Cup feature!
Amazin Doug
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
46 Posts

Profile of Amazin Doug
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 13:58, Dougini wrote:
Excuse me, but I should add, that these wooden cups have the Chop Cup feature!

I already posted this on another cups and balls thread here at the Café, but I want to reiterate my thanks to Dougini for the link to the great bargain on the wooden Hindu cups. All 3 are chopped, and they look great! For $11.99!?

But now my regular combo cup balls are too big. The wooden Hindu cups are rather small. The "one" ball won't dislodge. I'm going to have to get cork balls from the local hobby shop and gimmick one, I think.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 18:36, Amazin Doug wrote:
...I want to reiterate my thanks to Dougini for the link to the great bargain on the wooden Hindu cups. All 3 are chopped, and they look great! For $11.99!?

But now my regular combo cup balls are too big. The wooden Hindu cups are rather small. The "one" ball won't dislodge. I'm going to have to get cork balls from the local hobby shop and gimmick one, I think.

My pleasure Doug! They are a bargain! I hope to eventually get cork balls and gaff them, but I found some little pom poms that work great! I bought a sash with three different colors, and snipped four of them off, and man...what a great little set!

I have been practicing with them, and it's just a matter of time. They look nice on a shelf, as well! Some kind of exotic wood, too. Very, very nice!
Amazin Doug
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
46 Posts

Profile of Amazin Doug
Quote:
I hope to eventually get cork balls and gaff them, but I found some little pom poms that work great! I bought a sash with three different colors, and snipped four of them off, and man...what a great little set!

I went to a local hobby shop looking for the cork balls and found several sizes of wooden balls as well as some small wooden eggs. (All unpainted.) They also had several sizes of pom poms in various colors.

The pom poms look great. I still need to gimmick the wood balls to see whether they're too heavy.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Use strong magnets.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Doug, Dougini, please drop me an e-mail. You can get my e-mail address from my profile. I may have the solution for you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thanks, Bill, Shot ya an email!
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
Nanu was referred to earlier in the thread; I've just seen his performance of the cups and balls; it was lovely.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2010-10-19 22:25, Bill Palmer wrote:
Doug, Dougini, please drop me an e-mail. You can get my e-mail address from my profile. I may have the solution for you.

Bill you have provided the BEST solution!! Thank you so much! I am so grateful! Smile

Doug
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You are quite welcome!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

maharajademagia
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of maharajademagia
Quote:
On 2009-11-05 10:40, Keith Mitchell wrote:

One thing that stood out to me more than anything else among all those videos of Indian style C&Bs is the way their hands moved. It's as if they were all taught by the same teacher or something. Makes me wonder what would happen if they were to try the classic Dai Vernon C&Bs routine?

Unlike the western performer who is more inclined on exclusivity and originality, the Indian performer is told my his mentor to learn the moves to perfection. The word for it is sadhana. The Indian performer is not much worried about being original but in getting it exactly the way he is taught. I am not sure if he is able to learn all the 64 original moves. But the few he learns are to perfection.
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
I noticed 64 is a recurring number in Sanskrit literature, so is 128.
I don't think the number 64 should be taken literally as the number of moves.
I know if you ask the few who are left in India with this skill, they still will tell you 64.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Indian Cups and Balls Video (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL