The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Question on Building A Tip Bally (Driver) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
I just saw Don Driver's "Building A Tip Bally" video and I'm really glad I bought it -- I'm going to try it exactly as he explains and I expect to build a tip with it (and I'm not a busker yet!).

However (and I just admitted I'm not a busker, so don't yell at me), I don't understand why you wouldn't resolve the tension you built up by actually completing what you promised to do?

I understand you wouldn't want to do it right then because you want people to hang around for the show (and the hat), but at the time you "defuse" people when you come back to the subject, why not actually complete the trick at that point?

Like I said, I'm going to do it as Don explains, but at a time in the future when I'm comfortable with it, I'd like to test resolving the tension vs defusing the situation and see what the difference is.

Those of you who have busking experience and have used this bally, can you explain the reasoning behind not completing the proposed trick?

Thanks!

Jay Jennings
Mystery arts articles and thoughts: https://ExclusiveMagic.com
Free video crash course for numerology readings: https://LoShuNumerology.com
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I've seen this video, but I have not used this tactic in practice.

I don't see why you can't just do it if you want to, but then again, I don't really see a compelling reason to do so. The money thing is just a hook. Something to pique their interest in the beginning, and then to hold their interest until you can really entertain them with your show.

I'd say that you really don't want to impress upon your audience how much money you may-or-may-not-have at any time in your show. I've found that calling attention to your money is not effective in generating a bigger hat, and can cause distractions or even disruptions during your performance (disruptions along the "Hey if you're so magic, why don't you make 100 dollar bills appear?" heckling variety)...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Don has talked online before about this same question. He developed this draw to build a tip for pitching decks, thus he's focussing on pitching and not magicianing. I've often thought that using Heiny 500 or a similar effect WOULD be a great way to finish off this draw (for a magic busker). I don't know how Heiny 500 works though...so I'm not certain that particular effect would work cleanly in this situation.

I use a modified version of this Don's tip building strategy to build my crowd which doesn't use money at all. However, it still uses the pyschology taught on this DVD.

Perhaps just experiment with it both ways. Deliver on your promise for a day and then joke around and not deliver the next. Keep record of audience reaction.

The beauty of street performing is that you have the opportunity to try experiments like this without "losing a chance for a call back" Smile

The trick is to keep your nerve if something doesn't work out, and keep going back out until you've found the routine that puts smiles on the faces and money in the hat. I know there've been days when I just wanted to pack up and quit early because I got a poor response or had trouble building an edge, or got a lousy hat. My rule is to go home after a GOOD show. So if my "last" show stinks, then I take a break, get something small to eat, talk to someone about nuthin' at all, and then do a GREAT show. Then I'll go home after a solid day with a good ending.

Doesn't always work out that way. But it has happened enough to call it my norm.
cenafreak0709
View Profile
New user
Memphis
59 Posts

Profile of cenafreak0709
Maybe you can do Hundy 500 and change the ones into homemade white paper tens.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Notice that at the end, Don explains that if he could do what he said he wouldn't need to do shows and goes right into his hat final line. I have tried it and been successful ending that way.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Ive found doing streets & many markets-up to 40 pitches a day

Any sort of money effect is a great way to get people to stop etc
before you get into your main act-
Dons DVD is very good

I use a variation of paper to money, money to paper, small bill to bigger denomination bill & giving it away if a good crowd is present-absolutely makes the crowd stay & watch in the hope they too might get 10 dollars from a 5 dollar bill etc plus lots of humour then a small crowd attracts a bigger crowd & away you go

Ive had people come back a week later with there own "rice paper" as I call it to change into money etc..

One of the purest magic moments Ive had in years on the street-was recently a family from overseas wanted to change Australian dollars into our currency & asked me where the bureau was, he flashed a $10 bill in my face to emphasise they had no local currency-I had a TT ready to go with our $10 bill & in front of a big crowd just out of the blue folded & switched there bill for our Bill-the reaction of them & the crowd was unreal, realy priceless-real magic had happened or so they believed

The show & tips were really good all because of their reactions to a money pitch to attract crowds
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
NEVER really change the ones to tens. All I'll say is this:

ANTICIPATION IS GREATER THAN REALIZATION !

Whats there not to understand ?
Than at the end of the show you use my friend Zack's line that's in the DVD.

"If I could change ones to tens I wouldn't be out here working so hard."

That is a perfect hat line.That line alone is worth doing the dollar bill bally.(and buying my DVD)

Later,Don
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
222 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Don...

Once again, THANK YOU! I've been using your bill bally for the past couple of years. It stops a crowd. It keeps them until the end and I make the money. It's simple, direct, to the point and I'll use it as long as I work the streets...

I do work other openers, depending on the crowd, but when I have folks that are not stepping up the plate, I know what to do.

If any of your are sitting on the fence about this product. Just send Don the money, watch it, study it and do it. The first time you do it on the street, you'll be blown away. It is truly magic.

Good luck and continued success Brother...
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
I had the privledge of catching Don's Lecture at Denny's a few months back. Man did it remind me of growing up with my parents in the Carnival.

I do Busking on the weekends and I do it becasue that's just my style of magic, but I want to do it like the Greats. Gazzo, Cellini, Sonny, JimmyT, Kozmo. While I can't / or should I say won't just drop my day job and become a Busker full time, I try and dedicate time everyday to practice my craft and the Art.

Watching Don work is amazing and I took a lot away from his lecture and the DVD's.

Thanks Don
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Question on Building A Tip Bally (Driver) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL