The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Fourplay with Foursome (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Beneath it's slightly kinky title lies a powerful weapon to knock your spectators right on their butts. This is a CD-ROM from Michael Vincent that contains a performance video and a PDF of all the work. This is really a wonderful way to learn magic. You really can learn so much more from the printed word, but so many books are diffult to learn from. Not because they're poorly written, but just because the nature of books. You get a deck in your hand, holding 5 cards in biddle grip in your right hand with a thumb break at the back; the deck in your left with a Vernase break beneath the 4th card. Now turn the page. Wait, go back and look at the last photo on the previous page. Since you guys are friends, I don't mind telling you how many times this has happened and I don't want to put down the props, I actually try to turn the page with my nose. (Yeah, try and picture that for a minute.) With the CD-ROM, this is much easier. You can print it out and just lay them out on your table and keep the props in your hand while learning.

As for the routine itself; get ready for a workout. It has it's roots in the work of Harry Lorayne and Andrew Wimhurst. Two cards are peeked by spectators. Michael's script deals with tells when playing poker. Very topical; don't believe me, turn on ESPN. While reading a spectators face, 4 different cards are removed as possibly being the correct selection. They confirm that one is the card as they are placed face down. When they are turned face up, they have changed to an entire 4 of a kind that matches the selection. They are gathered up and dropped on the table again. Almost instantly, the 2nd selection is revealed and when the cards are turned over again, they have changed to ANOTHER 4 of a kind to match the second selection.

Like I said, this will give you a bit of a workout. Another very nice addition is a comprehensive list of credits. Even though you could learn the routine using Michael's writing, he gives you the proper place to find certain moves in the standard texts.

The only thing that irks me a little bit is the fact that it may not play well in some situations. There's nothing wrong with that. It's so strong though that I'll be tempted to use it far too often for people who won't sit still long enough. For real world workers, you would probably be best served in saving this for after dinner, or in a situation where you have people hanging on your every word and there will not be a server or bartender interrupting you. Probably a formal close-up show would be best. All in all a very fine piece of magic. Recommended.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Boy, I could write a book about how wrong you are about books!

Foursome is my routine out of Deck-Sterity (just re-wrote it, brought it up to date) for LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, Vol. 2).

Michael Vincent is near top of the best card handlers I know. His takeoff on my routine is just great. Problem is - and understand that I've discussed this with Michael personally - it's just too complicated for me. "For me" that is; I'm sure it will "work" just great for many. I have performed Foursome EXACTLY as I originally taught it, for close to half a century, for all kinds of audiences and under most any kind of circumstances. Anyway, I have to repeat, I could write a book on how wrong you are about books! HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
First off, I agree with Pepka about magic books. I'm dyslexic and just have a hard time learning effects. It was a nightmare in the 1960's and 1970's. I had to first see an effect in person befroe I'd bother to learn it.

But, the only books I never had trouble with were Harry Lorayne's. Harry doesn't over complcate the effects as they are geared for one thing: entertaining an audience.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks, Christopher. I am also dyslexic; I've written about this before. Written that my dyslexia actually helped me be a better expository writer. Because - I write as if everyone is like me! No ambiguities, etc. Best - HL

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Harry, I did not know that. I find people that have the condition are better communicators with the written word ( meaning they can reach a greater number of people ).

And now the mystery as to why I inderstand Harry Lorayne's books has been solved!

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Yes, Christopher; I don't know about reaching a greater number of people - perhaps a greater number of dyslexic people. My dyslexia, as I said, works for me. It was, however, the bane of my existence when I was in the early school grades. I never understood what the teacher wanted me to do. All my little classmates did. I still visualize myself asking them all, after the teacher gave a homework assignment, for example, "What did she say? What does she want us to do?" The way the assignment was given was always ambiguous to me. Of course, part of the main problem was that I don't think the word "dyslexia" existed then. I was stamped "moron," and given the name, I played the game. Long story. (Of course, none of those idiotic "educators" wrote any books - I'VE WRITTEN ABOUT 46! Hah.)

And, when I became interested in magic at about the age of seven, same problem. I'd read a book (that I breathlessly ran home with from the library, loving the smell of the pages) and there were all the ambiguities again. What the h*** did he mean? Hold the deck face up or face down? Insert the little finger or the third finger? Into the break, or not? Table that card to my left or to my right? And on and on. Well, as I said, the dyslexia worked for me. I thought, as I grew older - "You know, I can do this better. I can tell the reader EXACTLY what is needed, EXACTLY what to do - no d**n ambiguities; no silly choices. So, the dyslexia helped me become, I'm told, a pretty good teacher.

It's interesting. The cliche is that dyslexic people can't spell. Well, I'm a better speller than most. There are two main ways that the dyslexia manifests itself - computers, and directions. I don't have a bad sense of direction - I have NO SENSE of direction. I get confused, lost, in my own homes. And, one of the chapters in my "rememoir," if I ever decide to have it published, is titled, Mark On My Boot. And I tell how, during my army (infantry) training (World War II, folks, NOT the Civil War!) when the sergeant would yell, "Right Face!" I hesitated as to which way was "right"! I put a mark on my right boot, so then when he yelled "Right face," I'd glance at that mark AND TURN IN THAT DIRECTION!

Okay; I think I've told you more than you wanted to know about my dyslexia. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Harry, THANK YOU for sharing all of that. It means allot to me of course because I relate directly to it, but people don't have to have an affliction, situation, etc. to be touched by it.

And your books of course don't just appeal to folks with dyslexia. Your writing and teaching style has touched so many ( just look at those sales figures! ). I'm sorry about your struggles in your youtrh, but look how you overcame it and helped all of us!

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
It's great to hear you compliment Michael's work Harry. But I'm not surprised with your disagreement with me regarding books. I own several of your books and I use a lot of your material in my professional work, and have the utmost respect for what you've done. However, I keep thinking that the name of your next book is going to be titled; "I'm right and you're wrong and nothing will ever change my mind."
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'll buy the first two copies!

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
And the alternate title is, If you haven't heard how great I am, just ask me, I'll tell you.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Glad you like my work, and that you use some of my stuff professionally, Pepka.

Incidentally, I probably can select three or four statements, I mean DEFINITE statements, from your original post above, that'd make great titles for one of YOUR books. Oh, and a perfect title for you would be - "I'M ENTITLED TO MY OPINION, BUT YOU'RE NOT!. You should do it, Pepka; you'll surely sell nine or ten copies. In my opinion.

Oh, another surefire title for you, in my opinion, would be something like, "HOW TO START IDIOTIC RUMORS." And in the preface of that book, you'd include your attributed-to-me remark, "If you haven't heard how great I am..." and "I'm right and you're wrong..." and you would, of course, give EXAMPLES of where I made those remarks.

After that, you can include a chapter titled, YELLOW JOURNALISM - that, of course, you DO know about. Your two QUOTES you attribute to me above are just perfect examples. And, speaking of examples, you would, of course, give examples: places, dates, etc., of where I EVER made statements like that. You can do that, right? Or, can it be? Is it possible, that you're simply talking out of your hat? That you have no idea of what you're talking about? Possible?

You are absolutely correct about, and I'm serious about this, Michael Vincent's work. I've told you that I think he's one of the best. Incidentally, Michael will tell you that I was a little bit instrumental in his learning process. Anyway, I agree with you there.

But, I could write a book about how wrong you are about books! And I will, as will many, be breathlessly waiting for your examples of my statements of "how great I am," and "I'm right, you're wrong," etc.

Garrette
View Profile
Special user
926 Posts

Profile of Garrette
Somewhat off topic, but the thread has gone that way, so I'll forge ahead.

Both books and DVDs have their place, and sometimes it's side by side. I'm a bit old-fashioned and really like to have a book in front of me for most things, but it is the rare author who can describe/illustrate a sleight to the degree of clarity that a well produced DVD can.

Note that I said "well produced." Electronic media is wonderful for its ease of access and its potential but is abysmal for those who think ease of access means quality output. In my opinion (and everyone is entitle to a counter opinion), DVDs are, on average, more poorly produced than books. Too many magicians think that simply speaking extemporaneously is sufficient to convey a message, but for most it is not. Very few people can get away without carefully scripting a DVD and having it be as informative as they think, and the effort in careful scripting could just as easily be spent in writing a book. Pick any Michael Ammar DVD to learn how to produce one superbly and clearly.

That said, no book will ever match a DVDs ability to show an uninterrupted process. Assuming, again, that the DVD is well produced.

Ah, well. If it works for you, then fine. Stick with it whether it's a book, a DVD, a cave drawing, or instructions written in the dark with sparklers.

---

Finally, it's a pleasure to be participating in a thread with Harry Lorayne. When I am asked for a book with which to begin a journey into magic, my first recommendation is always "The Magic Book."

I've said pick Michael Ammar for clear DVDs. Pick Harry Lorayne for clear books.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks, Garrett. But, my DVDs aren't clear? Do you have them. Just curious. Best - HL.

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
PS: Don't misunderstand. In my opinion, books are still better. I'm just curious as to why my DVDs didn't "do it" for you. HL

Garrette
View Profile
Special user
926 Posts

Profile of Garrette
I don't have any of your DVDs, as I've never felt the need. That said, I'll put them at the top of the list for my next purchase.
Garrette
View Profile
Special user
926 Posts

Profile of Garrette
PS: Part of the reason I haven't felt the need is that quite a few years back I began leaning more towards the mentalism side. You have some valuable contributions to that genre, but your DVDs (of which I am aware) are primarily sleights, particularly card sleights. To be honest, while my knowledge of sleights is high, my skills are minimal as I have found myself best suited for effects with minimal sleights.

Heavy sigh... If I were the technical equal of my library (and my trunk in the attic), I'd be richer than Copperfield.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Like I said Harry, I respect you, but I must say it's like arguing with a brick wall, you just won't budge. Or maybe more like a wise old grandfather, just set in his ways.

Now, onto my being wrong about books. I love books. 90% of my magic is learned through books. I'm not one of the "I can't learn from a book gimme a DVD" generation. All I'm saying is sometimes it's difficult with props in hand. A prime example is Guy Hollingworth's Reparation. I photocopied the necessary pages an laid them out on my kitchen table. Much better than fumbling with the book. You may also find it interesting that my favorite type of books to learn from are the spiral bound type that lie flat. Steranko on Cards and the Workders Series are prime examples.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know Harry that I CAN learn from books, I DO learn from books and I will CONTINUE learning from books. I will never tire of learning magic from good books; unlike this conversation.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Good enough, Pepka. Perhaps I misunderstood you. On the other hand, I don't really know whose "brick wall" is thicker. I lean just a bit toward your wall. I didn't, until the "mortar" loosened a bit to allow your last phrase to ooze out. I guess you're one of those "need the last word" guys. So, that's okay. Sorry you haven't learned anything from this "conversation." I SURE DID. As did quite a few others; at least, so they've told me. HL. (I really don't mind allowing you to have the last word, unless there's that kind of remark that simply needs to be answered. Saying that you love books, and etc., is fine - you've straightened out your original remark. So, we're good, I guess.)

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Good enough, Garrett. You don't need to purchase my DVD set. It's just that your remark made it appear as if my DVD weren't clear. And that'd be all right IF YOU HAD SEEN THEM. Since you now admit that you haven't, your remark doesn't scan. No sweat. Hope I've explained myself clearly. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

autfan
View Profile
New user
Lafayette, TN
44 Posts

Profile of autfan
I have several dvd's by a lot of different magicians. I would like to say that by-far my favorite ones are my Harry Lorayne Best Ever Collection 1-4. Harry is such a wonderful teacher. I highly recommend them. I also used to be into the dvd's more than the books but recently I realized that a good magic book offers a lot more than what you will get on a dvd. I have been reading Simon Aronson's Bound To Please and Try The Impossible. They are really good. I am really excited about Harry's new book that he is working on.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Fourplay with Foursome (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL