The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Advice on Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
A couple of months ago I was asked to perform table/walk around magic for a rather large magic show in my area. The show is being put on by a local charity and will be highly advertised locally, running radio spots, flyers will be put up and the local paper will also be doing a story on it. Original estimates were around 200 people but word of mouth has spread and now they are expecting it to be around 300+. The magicians in my local SAM chapter will be doing their stage acts. While not all are full time magicians, they have anywhere between 15-37 years of experience each. Most of the guy are what I would consider traditional party/stage magicians. They do the classics, meaning silks, doves, rabbits and such. I have been performing for less than a year but practicing for many. I normally do close up or walk around but do have a full mentalism show.

We perform something each month at our SAM meetings and the guys at the chapter have been so impressed by my performances, they have offered me a 10-15 minute set on stage. I am significantly younger (I'm 27) and they feel that I could add something positive to the show. I'm honored that I've been asked to perform. Obviously, I don't have much time on stage so I'll have to keep it short so I am doing to do a mentalism trick or two (something like the perfected center tear, the magazine test or maybe something using Osterlind's breakthrough card system) My question is, I would like to perform some sort of visual illusion on stage. The largest crowd I've performed for at one time is about 30 people, this crowd will be significantly larger. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to just about anything and obviously, if I get started now, I have plenty of time to practice.
Thanks in advance. I tried to provide enough (maybe too much) information but let me know if you need anymore.
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
Look, don't try to put something together that you have never done before. You will have your hands full enough dealing with the newness of a larger audience. Take a routine that you know plays well in your current performances and stage it for a larger stage.

That simply means looking for ways to make it more visual and entertaining. Eliminate stage waits, add lots of humor, use music for your entrance, exit and when volunteers come up, get comfortable with the microphone, think about how you can light it so it can be seen better. Try to go on in the first half, perhaps the 3rd spot, not near the end when the audience is more tired. Keep it short - 10-12 minutes - and make sure you follow an act that is completely different.

Don't feel that just because the audience is larger than you are accustomed to, that you need to do something different, or "larger." I remember watching Karrell Fox many years ago at Abbotts' wow an audience of 1500 with a simple appearing rose trick. A good performer can stage the simplest trick and make it look like a miracle.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2076 Posts

Profile of jlevey
What sage advise. Jim.

Not surprising of course, coming from you.

Always nice to see you popping in with such valuable input.

Guess you're getting ready for the Big races at Saratoga Springs!

Jonathan
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
JulianVictor
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of JulianVictor
Hi herdman14,

Try a Sub Trunk if you have an assistant or a friend you can do all sorts of things with it and incoporate it into any form of magic. its cheap to get hold of a sub trunk and do it a diffrent way. This illusion is very visual and does not take loads of years to perfect.

Your young now so try all you can before you get old you only live once so try everything you can in magic.

send me a pm if you would like more info,

All the best
M3
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
If you do comedy, try Prof. Cheer's Rope Trick. Takes up time, packs small, highly visual and isn't that difficult to do. There's one on eBay going now for about $17
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Advice on Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL