We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do I have an act that is put together? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Topic #1

I was thinking of performing the following in exact order for a street busking act. What do you think of the order:

1) The Thing by Bill Abbotts (just ordered, arriving soon)
It seems to be a good visual attention getter for the start. Since there is no verbal to be used, it helps me to relax before I start my first words.

2) Chinese Linking Ring Rountine*

3) Fiber Optics (A shorter rope rountine than taught on DVD)

4) Mental Epic Board

5) Comedy Card Babies - Dave Devin
Laughs are needed for this trick. Since a bigger crowd helps, perform it near the end.

6) Manual Ultimate Sketch Pad - Sean Bogunia (just ordered, arriving soon)
Same as above.

7) Chair Suspension
I have been getting great applause from this for years. I was going to use as the finale until I thought of the following below. And only perform it if the right sized person is near.

8) Miser's Dream
It can blend in great as the collection item and go with the collection rountine. After I finish catching imaginary coins with the Miser's Dream, I will ask everyone to take out a dollar bill. I will end the act with humor by saying "Now let's see how good of a magician all of you are by placing your bills in this bucket as a donation for watching a wonderful act."

*************************************************************************************

Topic #2

What do you think about all the above tricks being used for a street busking act:

A. Great act.
B. Too many tricks. Which one(s) shall be eliminated?
C. Not enough tricks. Add some more.
D. If a certain trick(s) does not fit in with street busking, name it.
E. "You'll never know until you try."

*************************************************************************************

Topic #3

*Which Linking Ring rountine gets more stars for street busking:

A. JEFF McBride (No patter)
6 Ring Commando Routine

B. ALDO COLOMBINI (No patter)
3 Ring Routine

C. Whit Hayden (Comedy patter)
4 Ring Comedy Rountine

D. "You'll never know until you try."
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
Hey Mike,
You'll find out the first time you go out... but let me give you a little forshadowing...

It's way too many tricks if you are trying to create a cohesive show that has a beginning middle an end.

If you don't have experience doing street shows, the best thing to do is pair down to about and 8 to 10 minute show... with very few tricks...

All of which you already own, and have performed many many times.

What to keep? Your best three routines, that you already know... cold. Otherwise, you'll go out and feel like a derrier hat. You'll probably feel like one anyway the first zillion times you go out, but at least you'll be able to worry about the myriad aspects of street performing instead of the tricks that you'll be performing.

Really... go out with a thumbtip, cards, and some coins. Easy stuff that you are likely familiar with and already have routined.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Way too much, how are you going to carry all that & you would lose the crowd befor you got 1/4 of the way through.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Mike, my sidewalk show has 3 effects, thumb tip, rope, linking rings. take 15 minutes. For a circle show I use 4 effects. I add an escape to the rope routine.

I use a couple of different linking ring effects. I switch between Whit's 4 rings and Chris Capehart's 3 ring effects
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13382 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
That seems like a lot to haul around.
I would start with small props, a short show, and see how it goes.
Maybe add a thing or two that is bigger to see if it's worth it.

I use small props and they are easy to carry. That becomes very important
starting with the 2nd day. You're always willing to take a lot the first time out.

silks
spongeballs
eggbag
cards
coins
8" rings

everything fits in a pouch or doctor's bag.

if I have a table, I bring the cups.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hi Mike, HOT-DAMN!,,, you´re determined!!!
you know, I´m a believer in the `won´t know until you´ve tried it´ answer; BUT! the "Linking Rings" Question,.... cmmm,... in your nice `Magic Café Photo´, you´re standing next to THE MAN! Chris worked (I shouldn´t say this), THE BEST ring routine on the streets! He´s great with just three rings. And I believe he released his routine thru Tannens several years ago, in a `Stars of Magic´ series. Highly recommended!

While I here,... the `way to much´ theory. Nice small compact shows are nice, look at Jimmy, absolutly super; but I´ve always worked with a bigger set-up. Moble, quick to set up, but still bigger. I feel good with it. Also, too many tricks? I say, "NO". Altho, use a different show structure. Most Buskers are pretty much stuck on the idea of: building a crowd, turning a show, collect, release the crowd. It can be done differently. We perform 14 effects, three to four minute blocks, `glued together´ with gab. The basket is ALWAYS out. Each block is a small/ complete show. The folks can come and go when they please. Each unit is self contained. VERY FEW MONEY LINES! People DO freely pay for entertainment. And good magic fits right in there.

hey Mike all the best,
i´m curious what your next question will be!
gallagher
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'm no street performer(I tried, did okay but didn't like it. Just wasn't "me"), but I've read enough to know you're carrying *way* too much stuff. It looks to me like you're simply taking your parlor act outdoors. Follow the advice of the other guys here. Trim it down to 3-4 portable (pocket or duffel bag, not flatbed cart) and see what happens. Even I know that they're not there to see your tricks, they're there to see you. The tricks are secondary. Don't kill yourself carrying your stage act outdoors. Just go out there, pockets loaded, and see what happens.

Of the things you listed, maybe the "Thing" as you said to open. Rope or Rings perhaps alternating performances. Finish with Miser's Dream using the "Thing" box as your tip receptacle.

Or, chuck it all, get a TT and a deck of cards and go for it.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5374 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I do 3 tricks but I'm trying to get it down to one!

kozmo
ricky johnson
View Profile
New user
Orlando
7 Posts

Profile of ricky johnson
Don't forget to entertain them! What's your scripting..comedy lines..hat lines. What are your crowd-forming lines in the beginning..what's going to get them over there to you and keep them there?
Answer: YOU
Work on your character...forget the tricks...
Once your character is established..the tricks that fit will arrive.
keep on keepin' on.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Wow guys, now I wish I would of answered each one you indiviually so I will not be piled up like this. Smile

I am use to performing with bigger tricks. To me it is more comfortable. It takes me about 35 minutes to set up my kid shows because of the backdrop, animals and so many props. I have a feeling I will have my street busking act set up within 3 minutes when not rushing.

I am going to use a suitcase table. The tool chest from Home Depost is what I already purchased. I took the dimisions of almost everything. The only items I am not sure of going into the suitcase table when everything is packed up is the Mental Epic Board and Manual Ultimate Sketch Pad. If those two items will not fit in I will still be able to fit them into my second carrying prop. My second carrying prop will be made of a heavy duty material. The kind of material a laptop computer case is made of. It will be able to open on all three sides when unzipped like a laptop case. The size and shape will be the whatever the dimisions are to my Chair Suspension when unassembled. There is only two chairs and a board. There will be a strong supportive rope handled sewn on one side in the middle for easy carrying.

If everything fits in place with my plans I will be walking carrying only a suitcase table (toolbox), Eureka Table Base (thin when closed) and a self made carrying case for the Chair Suspension.

The one extra item I did not mention above is having a battery powered sound system that can generate my voice plus play CDs (head set microphone included.) I checked the dimisions to the one I plan to purchase. It will fit inside the suitcase table also.

Guys, instead of carrying it small, next get bigger, I want to do the opposite (if needed). If I just go out pocket loaded I can see I will not entertain the crowds as much. The reason is because of my attitude expressions. People will not see me optimisic with what I'm doing because in my mind I am going to telling my self I should of started the other way. If I noticed everything is too much to carry around I will loosen up with less and ligther props. And will also say to myself, "I should of listened to the members on The Magic Café." Smile

I do perform kinda fast. I do not put those long stories in with my act. When everything is all together I will calculate my time.

I purchased TT muliple times in my years of magic. I am just not use to them. I do not feel comfortable using them. (No, it is not because of the reason you are thinking of. Smile )

Scody, I thought 15 minutes was the average performing time for street busking. Now that I think about it I see you are right when it comes to lunch breaks. The employees do not have a long time. Of course they will like to receive their lunch and get back to work on time. But when it comes to an area where residents do not seem to be on the clock I might try a 15 minute act. Remember, I do not have all my props yet. I will never know the timing of my act until I try it. And I can still carry the extras incase any spectators are willing to stand by for an alternate act.

Guys, I understand your objectives when the (too many) effects I mentioned above. So I will try them all and see which gets less applause from my performance and take them out of the primary act and use them for an alternate act. The trials will not hurt me even if I do not make much. I should be paying the crowds instead for being my judges. Smile

Dave, I do feel the street act is for me. I can see it as fun in two ways. One is because I always enjoy doing magic. I like to see the smiles on people faces. The other way I see busking as fun is because I see it as a game. It is a challenge I will enjoy. I will be getting donations the same time. It is like making a living without a job. That was a good tip about using the "Thing" box as the tip collection piece.

Paddy and Gallagher, yes I feel the Chris Capahart ring rountine is great too. I see it better for performing on magicians because of his skill. I want to start using music with no patter in my act when performing a linking ring rountine. I have been performing an eight linking ring rountine for about 17 years with patter. It is similiar to the Dai Vernons method.

Gallagher, I like that avatar too with Chris and I together. If it would not of been for Dave V skills and his kind heart the avatar would not be up. He set my other avatars up too. I never knew what a "gentleman" was unto I met Dave V.

Chris Capehart gave me advise already. I have not put together an act for him to watch yet. He has invited me over to his house to help me learn about street busking. I rather have my act together first as a head start.

Another good helpful item I will be receiving soon is two DVDs. One is "Street Puller" the other is "The Art of Street Performing" (volume 1). I ordered it from Frank at http://www.theambitiouscard.com I like his discounts the most compared to other magic shops. With him you can't go wrong.

Gallagher, I like how you explained how you perform yours shows in blocks. That might be the way that fits me best. Is there a video of any kind where I can watch showing/teaching that? You just read my next question. Smile

Thank you everyone for time and concerns. When this is all together I will say after my street busking performances, "I want to thank The Magic Café for their time and support. I do not know where I would be at if it was not for them." Smile
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Mike; first, you´re really right about the Magic Café,...GREAT PLACE!,.. to me, when it´s good; it´s a lot like a good busking show! Lots of changing topics (just think if we only talked about three tricks!),... and are there constant `Hat Lines´? NO,... but Steve is doing OK. IT WORKS. It´s Rightous.

hey, I´d never say, "don´t",... but DON´T fall for that `three tricks and out´ line. It´s one reason busking is so lame. If most busking magician didn´t have funny/entertaining lines, their shows would die. Their Magic simply couldn´t carry it. Don´t cheat the Magic. Good Magic rocks!! Not only are most guys doing only a few tricks,.. most are doing the SAME FEW TRICKS!!!! BE CAREFULL! It´s an easy trap to fall into.

A video of such a show? I only know of about two other guys doing it. At the same time, we are probably the only guys who can go ANYWHERE and play. Because we don´t need bored folks, with time on their hands, looking for something to entertain them.(tourists,.. for example.) This type show works without a build-up,.. just about anywhere. Your potential audience can stay three minutes or twenty minutes,....It can be five peoples, or a hundred peoples,.... it´s selfworking. Still, sorry,... no video,... simply don´t have one.

They way I got my show rolling though, was stringing FIVE pieces together. Five TOTALLY different pieces. Absolutely NO common connection. At the end of EACH piece, I thank the peoples, and take an applause. Then I start into introducing, or displaying the next prop. My thought was; something totally different would `hook´ the interest. I also thought; the more they saw, the longer they stayed,... the greater the chance is,... they´ll give me something. I´ve never been let down. ALL people are basicaly good.

I worked with five pieces for a whole year on the streets; in the winter, I added three more,... and cleaned up the first five. Now I´ve got 24 working pieces, but keep it down to about 14 pieces a set. Usually, the same three as an opener; then we see what we´ve got going for an audience. Sometimes it´s a bit like fishing,... we bate `em, we bate `em,.. them we hit `em with a big number,... or we keep bating and playing,... It´s not always the same order. It´s fun,... trying to `read´ the audience.

One other thing, I also roll out a good bit of gear,.. but it has it´s ADVANTAGES... as well as downers. The big plus is, at the end of setting it all up (7 minutes), I´ve got a crowd!,... without ANY monkey busuness. ..quite an honest way to start a show.

hey I´ll let `cha go,.. keep thinking about it. And keep thinking what YOU would feel good with,... that´s, in the end, what you´ll do the best.

all the best,
gallagher
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
248 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Now this is an interesting thread to me, because while I don't do cups and balls, I've started thinking that I needed to learn a C&B routine -- simply because reading this forum it makes it sound like I couldn't be a "real" busker if I didn't do a cups and balls routine.

But I'd also been thinking, if everybody does the same set of tricks, doesn't that eventually water down the affect of the tricks? Or are there just so many people out there that worrying about duplicating effects is a waste of time?

Jay Jennings
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Jay, every time you start a show you have a different audience. Yes there are times when someone will hang around and watch 2 or 3 shows, but that is not common. I use the same effects and even the same patter every show.

BTW, I have been to Gazzo's masterclass when he did them and learned his cups and balls routine. Tried it and bombed. I close with the linking rings. Whatever works for you is what you use,

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I have no direct experience, but as a spectator your show would just be too long. Figure that you will want a show that will keep the attention of folks at least until you can pass the hat, and remember that they will be standing and probably have something else to do.

I do Whit Haydyn's ring routine and it runs around 10 minutes for me. I think I would do at most two other effects if I was doing this.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
My avatar is that of me performing the cups, but I don't use them in my main show. I work 2 shows when I'm alone on a pitch. The show that ends with the cups and balls is what I call my "throw away" show. It's a quick 10-15 minute doorway show. I use it when I need a break and don't have the energy to try and draw a big crowd for my main show.

When I do work 2 different shows, I still follow a Draw-Build-Hat mentality. I just rotate shows.

Jay,

The cups are a fun and easy way to get great reactions from a crowd. They're a great effect if you are not working with any other magi on a pitch. However, I agree with you about the effect getting watered down if every guy on the pitch is ending with it.

When I cut back to one show (my main show) then I am guaranteed to have something that no one else is doing.

I work slow pitches though where people linger and watch multiple shows. I would guess on faster pitches it wouldn't matter as much if everyone ended with the cups.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1258 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
How soon are you talking about performing? I was just wondering since two of the effects are "ordered, and arriving soon."

I took Gazzo's masterclass about 3 years ago and only this year hit the streets. I usually begin with a card trick. Do something in the middle...it varies with the makeup of the crowd. And I end with the cups and balls.

If I want to rip thru shows, I do a card trick and then go right into the cups and balls.

When I'm working with my girlfriend we do 5 pieces. The cups and balls is the second to last effect.

Everything packs small and plays big. Judging from other posts on other busking boards, if you have too much stuff, you'll probably get robbed and wind up replacing props or cutting it from your show.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I gave it a try. It was not exactly street busking. It was more like "party" busking. Check it out: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=6&0

Quote:
On 2008-07-27 12:21, Dave V wrote:
Finish with Miser's Dream using the "Thing" box as your tip receptacle.

You are right Dave. I tried collecting with the container from the Miser's Dream after my first performance. Kids approached me with ease putting their hand in the container. I checked inside and saw no money. They thought it was part of the Miser's Dream effect, expecting it was going to make a sound as they placed in an imaginary coin. Smile So the second performance I did use the container from "The Thing"
as you mentioned. There was no problem.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
THREE Names say it all...

1. Gazzo
2. Jimmy Talksalot
3. Cellini

Read and or watch ANYTHING and EVERYTHING from these 3 performers. Don't do ANYTHING that they wouldn't do!

Nuff said...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Good fact Chris. Those three professionals would be THEMSELVES and NOT COPY anyone else. So I must be doing the right thing with my CREATVITY to what makes it more COMFORTABLE to myself. Thanks Chris.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1074 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Mike,
Man, after reading that last Post, to Chris; I realized: You ARE in the `Inner Circle'! Great response,.. made my day! Hey, `the Magic IS within YOU'!!

You don't need any more help,.. you've really got your SELF together.,.. all you'll need now,.. is a little luck with the weather, every now and then!

Take care man,
keep looking for your way,..,
it's a good path.
gallagher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Do I have an act that is put together? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL