The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The stealth pen... WOW (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Check out this new DVD from OZ!!!!!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1881

Finally, A full DVD on the stealth pen!!!

Its about freakin' time man!!! And its ONLY $30.00!!!
You get three pens with the DVD.

My head is just spinning...I don't know what to say!

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Well, one MIGHT say that Oz's handling of the pen is far from revolutionary, or that the Bill in Pen is simply a (hopefully credited) version of an excellent John Carney routine.

So, who's gonna say that? :-P
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Well.. I'll just say this, The bottom of the barrel seems to be coming up fast.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
The "pen thru" is John Cornelius's and the video with Jim Krenz' rip gaff idea covers it all. It's on DVD now.

"Includes 73 minutes of the best Pen Thru Anything routines from some of the top minds in magic.

Each routine comes complete with, presentation angles, comedy bits, handlings, techniques, and more! This DVD is hosted by Jim Krenz, and you will learn from John Cornelius, Michael Close, Mike Maxwell, James Lewis, and Giovanni".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Yeah, three pen - one of the car, one the office and one at home! Vamoose, the stealth is there when you need it. I'm impressed; but how is it different than the stealth pen thru bill/paper that we have dearly come to know and perform?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
The only thing that would make me say "Wow !" about Penguin releasing this video is if I found out they had actually cut a sizable royalty check to John Cornelius, the creator of Pen Thru Anything and The Perfect Pen (Thru Anything ) who they have ripped off now for many years.
Thomas Kwon
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Thomas Kwon
WOW! AMAZING! I don't know what else to say!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27034 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
No idea what to say here - any word from John Cornelius on this?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jamie9
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of jamie9
Hey guess what?! The stealth pen is made by Magic Makers. I bought it before and when you get it, it is in a Magic Makers package and it has a different name on the package.
PenguinMagic is just selling it under a different name.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-07-27 21:21, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

This has been happening for years with many of John's products. That's why he stopped releasing.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:

Here :

http://magicfakers.blogspot.com/2007/10/perfect-pen.html

and

here:

http://magicfakers.blogspot.com/2007/10/......ing.html

John says:

Quote:
"All of my items, Bendable pen, Perfect Pen, and Thought Transmitter, are original with me. I did not give anyone permission to copy or manufacture them.The instructions are all copyrighted.In most cases I spent 6 months to a year to develop these effects.

If someone takes all of my ideas, research and development, then markets a copy, I am stuck with all of my time, research ,development, plus a few thousand parts that I had specially made.If the people that advertise the Knock Off versions would just come to me, we would both make money and they would have a stream of new tricks by the Originator coming to them.If dealers sell the knock offs, the people that supply original ideas will go into non magical items or elsewhere and new items will dry up (Is this worth it when you consider the number of effects that they could invent over years?).

If you sell a knock off item at half the price, you have to sell twice as many , and if it is a knock off, it is probably half as good (You also will lose customers that are dissatisfied by the product).

Why should a dealer screw up his reputation is if he wants to be around for the long haul?I just don't get it!

Just some thoughts,

John Cornelius"
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Quote:
On 2008-07-27 21:03, David Todd wrote:
The only thing that would make me say "Wow !" about Penguin releasing this video is if I found out they had actually cut a sizable royalty check to John Cornelius, the creator of Pen Thru Anything and The Perfect Pen (Thru Anything ) who they have ripped off now for many years.

Of course I was being sarcastic in my original post. And I was saying WOW as in, WOW... This is some unbelievable crap!!

I got one of the stealth pens a while back as a free gift for ordering a certain dollar amount of stuff from penguin. The whole John Cornelius problem not-withstanding, (Which is obviously blatantly wrong) A DVD for $30.00 seems a little overkill to me.

And I'm 100% sure there were no royalty checks cut.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
Sincerely,
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Or you could save money and buy this months issue of magic magazine. it has a very nice handlign of a straw through dollar bill from daniel garica. it involves all slight of hand basiclly and I think it has some nice visuals
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-07-28 10:12, Tim Jahn wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-07-27 21:03, David Todd wrote:
The only thing that would make me say "Wow !" about Penguin releasing this video is if I found out they had actually cut a sizable royalty check to John Cornelius, the creator of Pen Thru Anything and The Perfect Pen (Thru Anything ) who they have ripped off now for many years

Of course I was being sarcastic in my original post. And I was saying WOW as in, WOW... This is some unbelievable crap!!

Tim

Hi, Tim,

That's what I figured you meant. (and no I don't think John will ever see a royalty check from Penguin or anyone else who has ripped off his Pen Thru Anything idea ) .

Best,

-D
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
You know the problem with these thread is that sadly, it gets harder and harder to blame people like penguin and oz, who either re-sell effects from basic magic books or steal other peoples gimmicks, is that people buy them ... they buy a lot of them. so they will keep making this crap as long as they have a demand for it.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On 2008-07-28 10:59, Joshua Barrett wrote:
You know the problem with these thread is that sadly, it gets harder and harder to blame people like penguin and oz, who either re-sell effects from basic magic books or steal other peoples gimmicks, is that people buy them ... they buy a lot of them. so they will keep making this crap as long as they have a demand for it.

Yes, a huge problem (ethical dilemma) because the typical person who Penguin targets with their marketing have no idea of the origin and history of the effects . They just think "Wow that's cool ! I want to do that" , but as John Cornelius says , if this sort of thing continues then creative thinkers in magic are forced out of business and eventually the supply of new effects dries up or the only new effects produced are not that great because the really innovative thinkers go off into some other field or go totally "underground" , which maybe is a good thing for the art of magic in the long run, but not so good for sales in the short term for those who are reasonably expecting to make some sort of living from selling the effects which they created.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1480 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Unfortunately I am one of these "wow that's cool" people, because I have only been learning for the past two years. Always eager to expand my repertoire (and always checking the penguin site for cheap prices due to the horrible Aussie dollar) I ordered this months ago. I suppose I should have researched the history of the pen through dollar, found out the originator and purchased from him - but to be honest, do you really think that is ever going to happen? Don't most of us try our best to TRUST our magic suppliers? And through all of the muddled threads and claims on the internet, is anyone really going to get the correct answer as to the orginiator? 99 times out of 100, there is always someone arguing as to who is the creator of an effect.

I'm not saying the above posts are true - I'm sure they are as I respect many of the magicians who have posted above... But sadly, people like myself aren't always switched on to this, and whilst we may always want to do the right thing, you have to buy your product from somwhere. And I hadn't seen this anywhere before.

I had done mostly card/coin/sponge tricks back in July when I first saw this advertised on the penguin site. I don't know any other Australian magicians, and to me the pen through dollar looked amazing (especially seeing it for the first time perfromed by Oz). I just saw it, ordered it and that's that.

Now in retrospect I am not just considering but WILL indeed attempt to purchase the effect from the originator at some point. Especially since penguin announced this release in July when I payed for it (and am yet to see the product).

At least us newer magicians have a resource like the Café, so that we can avoid contributing to the downfall and theft of new creations in the magic industry. But we shouldn't be so harsh to judge the people that purchase these effects - many of us are either new, mis-informed or just unaware of original effects.

Luke
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Wow
I just found out about this

and I bought 2 pens + dvd for just 15dollars I believe
I thought it was a good offer
now, not so much..
ziggystarsane
View Profile
New user
Melbourne - Australia
92 Posts

Profile of ziggystarsane
Penquin obviously can't sell these pens so thought they would "write them off" their inventory....
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4883 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:

Here it is, John´s page!

http://www.johncornelius.com/

Text from ad.

"The Original Pen Through Anything
This has got to be one of the top visual penetrations ever invented! In effect you remove an expensive looking designer type pen. You then borrow a bill from a spectator, and proceed to push the pen through the center of the bill. Once the pen is through the bill, you can show the pen and the bill from all angles. You then take the pen and proceed to rip it through the bill. They can actually hear the bill rip. Now slowly and fairly you rub your fingers over the torn parts, and the bill is now restored. Everything can be examined. This has been a sell out at every convention! You can also use a coin, a business card, your tie or just about anything. comes complete with gimmicked pen and a regular pen to match and 2 pages of photos for ease of learning. New Executive Gold Pen style.
Price $20.00
"

See him in action on the Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkHopLD0fCU

(I love his cigarette effect in this video)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The stealth pen... WOW (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL