The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning With Videos (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

emeline
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of emeline
Hi, all.

I'm not comfortable by watching magic tricks on YouTube because more and more people reveal a range of secrets on the art of magic. I think it's not respectful, that's why I've never learnt the magic tricks through YouTube.

First, what do you think about that kind of videos?

Then, I live in France, so it's quite difficult to buy videos made by the American magicians; the products are expensive. What can I do?

Emeline
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
Emeline:

Have you considered books or the local Magic Club? Or, simply try to find a mentor.

I don't learn from videos, but I'm a old guy and I like to read.

Best Regards.
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
emeline
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of emeline
Hi Tom,

I like to read, too - even if I'm a young woman. I have a range of great books, such as the Modern Coin Magic, written by JB Bobo, but it takes time to learn when you're alone in front of the pages! I don't understand some parts of the lessons.

Thank you for your help,
Emeline
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Have you tried looking for second hand (used) DVD's?
Wes
tom_stamm
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
248 Posts

Profile of tom_stamm
You can always ask questions in the "Show me the money" section of this website. Or, just send a private message to someone who is knowledgeable and friendly. There are some pretty knowledgeable people here. I even see Harry Lorayne posting regularly. If you have a specific question, just ask.
Just Some Guy.

"For Seven Tons of the King's Tea,
Six Fine Ladies to Fight a Great Jackass -- me."
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Emeline,

For coin magic, there's a French magician by the name of David Stone who does fantastic coin magic, and he has some excellent DVDs called La Magie Des Pieces. In all honesty, the magic on Volume 1 is so good you might not even need to bother getting Volume 2. There's one routine on there that I've used for busking, and it got great reactions. Between that DVD and Bobo, you should be fine for a long time.

For card magic, there's an Internet forum called East Blue. If you haven't been there yet, you should check it out. Tell them "erlandish" says "Bonjour."

http://east.blue.free.fr/

Some very good card magicians hang out there, and they should be able to help you find good resources locally.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Speaking as another non-native English speaker, I can relate to sometimes struggling with magic books written in English. When there are lots of clear drawings, a book can actually be a lot easier to learn from than a DVD. But even if you speak English really well, like you seem to do, I think there will always be an extra step to go through mentally in order to absorb the material. So a DVD is a lot better to start off with.

Many people will tell you that they only had one book when they started out, and that DVDs weren't invented, etc. But that is not the point. Since we happen to be in the 21st century, why not make use of some of its benefits, such as a nice DVD which instantly shows you what it is about?

You could probably afford a DVD from somewhere online with reasonable international shipping prices. There is no need to buy more than one at the time really. I have bought too many things, and because of this I have trouble really concentrating on one source.

If you buy one DVD which has all the basic palms and things in it, and then use Bobo for reference, it would be enough to work on for a long, long time. Speaking of "erlandish", here is a great review of some introductory coin magic DVDs that are available: http://erlandish.blogspot.com/2006/12/re......vds.html
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Emeline,

There was a website created some time ago called The Bobo Community Project that had users submit videos of the various sleights and routines from Bobo's. Some of the videos no longer work, but some are still there. Click here.

You might also want to check out Dan Watkins' Coinvanish.com for some other videos and articles about Bobo's, and coin magic in general.

Videos can be a great learning tool. The only problem is occasionally people start acting and sounding like whomever is on the video instead of learning to use their own personality and mannerisms. As far as where to get them, there are several great UK shops that carry a wide range of videos which probably offer cheaper shipping than from the US....if there isn't any in France. You could also see if there are any local magic clubs/shops around that could point you to a source; of course, people in these places could probably show you hands-on. You could also check out auction websites to see if anything interests you, but be wary as there can be many rip-off products on these sites.
And, of course, The Magic Café is a great resource with many people more than willing to help talk you through anything you don't understand. Some of our members will even make web-cam videos to show you what something is supposed to look like! Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
emeline
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of emeline
Hi, all.

Thank you for the help.
First, I'm quite pleased to know such references as the Erlandish blog or the one named Coins Vanish; Dan Watkins is a talented magician.
Secondly, do you know some web sites which sell DVDs for second hand or not expensive? In addition, other blogs made by magicians?

Emeline
mikehann
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of mikehann
If there is a trick on youtube you want to learn, I'd just watch the video and learn it, unless it is someones original effect, and they are trying to sell it. Tons of people sell tricks and sleights in there dvd's/books or whatever that they didn't come up with, so they don't have any more right to teach it than some guy on youtube. Just my opinion.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Mikehann,

One thing that surprised me when I started studying magic is the care most authors of books and videos take in providing credits to the people that have worked on a slight, effect or presentation before them. Granted, there have been a few examples of people not crediting, but those are few and far between.

It is not only about who is making money and who is not. It is about respecting the hard work of other magicians.

This aside, the teaching skills and knowledge of the people making youtube tutorials and explanations must be described as extremely low. There is a massive difference between showing what the secret is, and actually teaching how to perform an effect well. If for nothing else, one should stay away from youtube exposure, just to avoid learning it wrong and then later having to unlearn bad handling in order to learn again the right way.

Emeline,

The magic Café has a market place where people sell their used stuff. If there is something particular you are looking for, post there and ask if someone is willing to part with it for a reasonable price. Often people have DVDs etc. they don't use anymore, and they might be inspired to sell it if they see you have a desire to put it to good use.

Michael
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I agree with Molsen, keep an eye on the stuff sold at the Café. I'm always looking through the Book or DVD sections (often). The Café has many members so naturally there's lots of stuff for sale all the time. I've bought more than a few DVD's for cheap and a few books. You have a marketplace right here in your backyard so-to-speak!

James
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Quote:
On 2008-08-05 01:56, agent61 wrote:
The Café has many members so naturally there's lots of stuff for sale all the time.

True. But the majority of these good people live on a different continent from her. A lot of people feel that sending something by post to a different country is a little like sending it to Alpha Centauri, so they either won't do it or they worry that it will take a lot of extra work and cost a lot of extra money and therefore want an unreasonably large shipping fee. Even small online businesses usually don't ship internationally. Or they just sell to the next person who answers the ad if this person lives domestically.

Also, I believe Americans still use checks extensively? I don't know about France but here they haven't been used for maybe 15 years.

So even though there are many great and tempting deals, she probably wouldn't find most of them to be practical and reasonable for her.

But there are of course such instances. I bought some DVDs from a guy in the UK, for instance. Very reasonable.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Emeline:

Bonjour! I lived in France for several years.

You may already be familiar with this wonderful French magic website:

http://www.virtualmagie.com/

In "Petites Annonces" users post used magic items for sale. I am sure you will find many good bargains.

With regard to buying, try not to make the mistake many of us have (buying things you don't need) and make your purchases wisely. There is ample information here at the Café on this topic.

Good luck and enjoy the magic.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
I take the tricks on YouTube with a grain of salt. Keep what you can use and throw out the rest.
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning With Videos (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL