The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Non-technical magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
What are some of the best sources for learning the aspects of magic, that don't hurt your hands, ie. audience management, showmanship etc?

What magicians would you consider the best teachers in these areas?
Yakworld.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Dariel Fitzkee, obviously.

Charles Pecor gave a wonderful lecture last year on stage management (where to, and where NOT to, place you and your spectator(s) to direct "strength" or "focus" of attention). Principles such as these allowed Blackstone Jr. to catch the audience WAY offguard and make an elephant "appear" onstage in his Broadway show.

Watch TV magic specials and study folks like Maven, Copperfield, Burton, Henning, Blackstone Jr., McBride and others. See how they stand, gesture, speak and how they direct spectators through the stage environment.

Notice how these folks are never clumsy or unsure of what they're doing. There's never a hint of unpreparedness in their actions.

Watch folks who frequently go out into the audience (mentalists such as Kreskin and Falkenstein & Willard) and try and catch the subtle stuff they do.

Also, watch the ones who bring more than a single person up on stage (Copperfield, Blackstone Jr., Henning) as that can be a nightmare for you as an "onstage manager."
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
What are some of the best sources for learning the aspects of magic, that don't hurt your hands, ie. audience management, showmanship etc?

I've mentioned it before in another thread, but I'll say it again... Smile

You simply can't go wrong with Henning Nelms' "Magic and Showmanship: A Handbook for Conjurers."
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
If you can get a hold of a copy of Juan Tamariz's FIVE POINTS IN MAGIC, you would find some good tips there about how to construct your presentations and direct your audience's attention.

-Marty
MarkFarrar
View Profile
Veteran user
U.S.A.
376 Posts

Profile of MarkFarrar
Another book on my list would be "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz.
Mark S. Farrar

Email: [email]MarkFarrar@TheMagicCircle.co.uk[/email]
Web: www.MagicSquaresBook.com, www.RandMPublishing.com, www.TheDailyGoalMachine.com, www.ParvoBuster.com
Craig Matsuoka
View Profile
Loyal user
Kailua, Hawaii
271 Posts

Profile of Craig Matsuoka
Burt,

You can also add "Our Magic" to your recommended reading list.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Non-technical magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL