The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Encylopedia of impromptu magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I'm considering buyng the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic. Is this only a beginner's book? If you own this I would appreciate a review. Is it going to be similar to Mark Wilson's encyclopedia of magic?
Thanks for your help, Brian
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
Get it! I refer to my copy of Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic on a regular basis. I would also recommend getting Mark Wilson's book too.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I have Mark Wilson's book already and was wondering about trick overlap between the two. But I'm also considering buying The Art of Astonishment instead.
Any opinions? Thanks!
cegarcia
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cegarcia
You might want to do a search for the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic. It has been referred to many times in many different threads. Hope this helps with your decision.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
It is a really, really good book. There is so much in that book you can use. I use a few tricks from it myself.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2815 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Can anyone recommend some hot ones from Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic?

Mike
cegarcia
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cegarcia
The first that comes to mind is Gardener's very own Penetrating Matches. The napkin mouse fold is always a hit with the kids.
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
This books seems to be currently out of print. I've been in touch with a number of dealers, but none give an indication as to when they expect to have it.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Going to have to watch eBay for it! Good luck!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
cardican66
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
222 Posts

Profile of cardican66
Try Denny Magic or Hank Lee's Magic. I got mine about 3 months ago from Denny Magic.
Regards,
LLoyd

Experience teaches only the teachable.
Aldous Huxley (1894 - 1963)
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Daytona Magic ordered it for me. A new copy...about 9 months ago. It may be out of print, but there are still new ones available, apparently.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Does anyone have a list of chapters that are in the book?
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
538 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
I had the book and didn't really find it all that useful. Sure, there were a FEW effects that seemed interesting but all that aside, I didn't really care for it. A lot of it seemed outdated. Not meaning to offend anyone, but I don't think it's worth it.
My opinion.
indianajones
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of indianajones
Great Domino, since you don't care for it, and bg is looking for a copy, why not sell it to him? Just a suggestion...
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Thanks Domino, that's what I thought the book might be but wasn't sure, that's why I haven't bought it.

Thanks for all the replies.
WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
I found a lot of good magic in the book. There is a lot of magic that I will never use contained in the book. Would I sell mine? Nope. Two reasons...a lot of good magic and it was a gift from Grandma.
Gary
View Profile
Veteran user
Market Harborough, UK
367 Posts

Profile of Gary
Hocus Pocus currently have this in stock.
"I can see clearly now, the brain has gone"
- Anon
Dennis
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Dennis
While there are a lot of puzzles and betcha's, in between them you'll find tons of good magic and many great ideas— you do however need to apply some brain power and come up with strong presentations!

As for the book being outdated— ? Can good ideas and great magic be outdated? Not when I look back at Sachs, Gaultier, Dhotel, etc.

It's all about what you do with it!
Smile
Bob Gerdes
View Profile
Loyal user
Northport, NY
238 Posts

Profile of Bob Gerdes
I agree with Dennis completely. The longer you "live" with this book, the more you realize just how good it is.

The terse descriptions can sometimes be a little frustrating, but I LIKE hunting down routines.
Eschew obfuscation
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
This book sounds very interesting. I am surprised being so pro-impromptu that I have never bought this book. Go figure! Smile
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Encylopedia of impromptu magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.53 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL