The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » "Rights or Wrong" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAGlCMAN
View Profile
New user
Planet Earth (Aren't You?)
7 Posts

Profile of MAGlCMAN
Hi All,

I was wondering if using a "purchased" routine for a competition is okay? When I bought the item, was performing rights for contests included? I'm planning to do "Kate & Edith" and the contest I'm entering isn't a magic contest. I really need help from the real professionals, so please only respond if you have real facts!

Thanks!
Smile Smile Smile Smile
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Hi magicman, I don't see any reason you can't use a "purchased" routine in a competition, although originality is consider by judges in magic. I suggest you find out what do judges look for in the contest you are entering. Originality plays a big part in the scores in most contests.
Hasta la vista...
Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
To the best of my knowledge most of the performers do the effects they have bought. Seldom they invent their own effects. Nevertheless, I do agree with Mago Mai. Originality is very important to get extra points. I am planning to enter the FISM competition with my own routine for this purpose. Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I agree, originality is huge as most judges have seen it all (or so they feel anyway)
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
If its a major competition, you will not win with Stan Kate and Edith. If its a local event where the judges could be anyone, the contest will probably go to the most entertaining or the person who manages to get through his act while being heard and not messing up too badly. The routine is a good one, don't get me wrong, but most major and even larger regional contest try to get informed judges and try to foster creativity by not handing out trophies to off the shelf bought acts.

Good luck.
magicgetsgirls
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of magicgetsgirls
If you're really that worried, try emailing the creator. Although most professional magicians are very talented (obviously) I can honestly say I've never met one that wasn't incredibly nice. It's worth a shot, worst case scenario they just say "no." Even then, I agree with everyone above who says you would probably have a better chance of winning if you tried to maybe even alter it a little bit.
In fact, that option might let you kill 2 birds with one stone. (more orignal; exempt from copywrite infringement.)
Good luck and god bless.
Someone who can use his hands is a laborer. Someone who can use his hands, and his mind is a craftsmen. Someone who can use his hands, his mind, and his heart is an artist.
KSMagic2007
View Profile
Regular user
Missouri
200 Posts

Profile of KSMagic2007
In competitions, such as S.A.M., ties are broken by originality. I have competed before and know for a fact that the professional judges base their decisions highly on originality, especially in the stage contest.
Kyle
PyroJeffNic
View Profile
Regular user
Alberta, Canada
161 Posts

Profile of PyroJeffNic
Put your own little twist into it
retrostylemagic
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
In addition to everything said above.
You should use family oriented type magic in a competition. Especially if the public is attending.
Stan, Kate and Edith does not fit that at all.
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Going for the 'Gold' » » "Rights or Wrong" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL