The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » From Nothing by Kevin Parker DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Anyone has this yet ?
More than 20$ for an 11 minutes dvd makes me wonder about the real value for money !

Need a review since the video clip does not seem to show the hole
scene.

From Nothing by Kevin Parker - DVD

The Effect
From Nothing
by Kevin Parker

Ask someone if they want some fruit for free. Hand them a plastic bag, they see nothing in it. You say "what's wrong?" They say "it's empty." You say "No it's not" and take it back and stick your hand inside...suddenly they start to see an apple 'materialize' FROM NOTHING right inside the bag, WATCHING right through the plastic and actually SEEING the apple slowly materialize! Apple is handed out for person to keep and eat! Sounds too good to be true. A Kevin Parker creation.

-Bag can be borrowed
-Visual manifestation
-Everything Examinable

Running Time Approximately 11min
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
"Sounds too good to be true." And it is.
bosque
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bosque
Well, I have to admit, I took the plunge and bought the dvd which arrived yesterday. I guess I should have waited to read Donny Orbit's conjecture about what he saw on the clip. Anyway, while the price is too high for an 11 minute dvd which is probably 4 minutes too long as it is- the trick itself is actually quite good. Kevin gives a few handling tips which are useful. I did this for my wife 3 times in a row and she could not determine the method; and she's usually pretty good about catching me. I then did it for another person who was equally baffled. I think it might, in all honesty, be somethiong I wind up using a lot. The product is overpriced, underproduced and amateurishly presented by Mr. Parker (man, he needs to work on presentation) but the trick is really good (I almost hate to admit this because I feel like Mr. Parker could release one dvd with all of his effects on it; hire a director and possibly an alternate presenter, and then he will have given us something worth our money). It's strange to have such mixed feelings about a purchase. But in the end, I give this thumbs up.
--Steve Bosque
whateverisisright
View Profile
Regular user
Savannah, Georgia
132 Posts

Profile of whateverisisright
R. Dunn, I don't think its a dislike for Kevin Parker himself, however, as Steve just pointed out, many of his effects could be placed on "a" DVD. He has some very visual magic (Descent, Passing Thru), but I know a number of magicians who believe that his effects are over priced.

Also, effects tend to be better when they've been time-tested. I get the feeling many of his effects are things he's figured out at home and then released immediately. Judging by his presentation (or lack thereof), I doubt many of the effects have a lot of performance time prior to release.

I do however think he's very creative. Passing through is crazy-visual, Canz is (from my knowledge base) original, and Decent is a very cool little coin-through-table effect.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
I am glad I asked.

Thanks for very helpful comments.

Quote:
On 2008-08-03 14:37, bosque wrote:
Well, I have to admit, I took the plunge and bought the dvd which arrived yesterday. I guess I should have waited to read Donny Orbit's conjecture about what he saw on the clip. Anyway, while the price is too high for an 11 minute dvd which is probably 4 minutes too long as it is- the trick itself is actually quite good. Kevin gives a few handling tips which are useful. I did this for my wife 3 times in a row and she could not determine the method; and she's usually pretty good about catching me. I then did it for another person who was equally baffled. I think it might, in all honesty, be somethiong I wind up using a lot. The product is overpriced, underproduced and amateurishly presented by Mr. Parker (man, he needs to work on presentation) but the trick is really good (I almost hate to admit this because I feel like Mr. Parker could release one dvd with all of his effects on it; hire a director and possibly an alternate presenter, and then he will have given us something worth our money). It's strange to have such mixed feelings about a purchase. But in the end, I give this thumbs up.
--Steve Bosque
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » From Nothing by Kevin Parker DVD (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL