The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My first time street busking » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sunday, 8-30-08 is my first time street busking. One of the summer weekly festivals were happening Downtown Detroit at Hart Plaza. I started my first act about 5:45pm. A lot of vendors had canopies set up in different areas.

I performed the Sponge Bunnies, 8 Chinese Linking Rings, "The Thing" and Miser's Dream. I left out the Chair Suspension because I do not have the carrying case made for it yet. It took me 10 minutes to perform. I gave my camera to a lady to take pictures of me. I was nervous of three things, my first time street busking, the lady possibly running away with my camera and a cop approaching me.

Here are 50 of the pictures the lady shot with me performing: dynamike

Photo #102.jpg you will noticed a girl in the front with a pink outfit. Standing behind her is her father. (He gave me $10 after my act). Look slightly right of her father. You will notice a police officer. He had a partner with him also. They stayed until the #108.jpg picture was taken as I was performing my Linking Ring rountine.

Photo #083jpg and #121jpg you will notice a man in a white shirt with a black hat. He was being a heckler in the show a few times. I was asking him nicely to go away because I did not want to show an attitude.

I sold a few balloons after the magic act.

I moved to a different area about 30 feet away and performed again. I had more of a crowd. I felt more relaxed. I saw a sergeant as I doing my collection. He did not say anything to me. I moved to a new area about 50 feet away. I was announcing I was about to start. The sergeant spoke to me wanting to see my papers to perform. Since I had nothing to show him he told me to walk away.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Congratulations.It seems you did very well.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks Manal.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Sounds like you had some fun and made some cash. Hopefully you can find another place that doesn't require permits and keep it up.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Mike, I mean no disrespect when I say this so don't take it the wrong way - I'm just being honest with you. That suit would look great under the spotlights of a large stage, but on the street you look like a weirdo. Dress down.

I'm not going to pat you on the back, you've now ruined your pitch - you can't go back. Hopefully, you will learn something from the experience - you over stayed your welcome. A new pitch must always be broken in gently. I spoke about this a long long time ago somewhere on here.

When you show up dressed funny lugging tables and what not, people don't know how to react to you - you freak them out. First time out, you should work from your pockets and build small shows. Don't even hat the audience, your goal is to break in a new pitch not make a lot of money. Don't rinse and repeat, do a show and go home. The cops would have smiled and after a few times out they would have been used to you and not been freaked out. Then they start to think to themselves "he's really getting a lot better" - that's what you want them to think, because then they are routing for you.

If you have the guts, you might be able to salvage the pitch in the same way - if the cops come to you, explain you weren't trying to do a show you were just showing someone a magic trick and a crowd formed. I wouldn't go back unless I talked to someone in the City and could drop a name on them (ie: City Clerk).

On the positive side, I think its great that you went out there and did it - that takes a lot of guts and you should be proud. I'm sure you learned a lot in the process. Smile

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yes, I did have a fun time time Leeman. I enjoyed being out there.

Thanks for the comments Joe. But I rather me myself. I am proud of who I am. I want to keep it that way. I like to see the smiles on the audience faces during my performances. The character plays a strong role.

I dress the way I do everywhere I go. At times people ask me if I am an entertainer. I never got a negative reaction from the way I dress.

Even after my performances people of all cultures walk up to me and request my business card from the entertainment they saw me perform.

On my side of town there is a lot of hip hop. If it hurts you to see me as a hip hop magician...too bad.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Dynamike,

Those crowds looked great! Nice edge. They looked entertained too! I'd say that's a dream 1st day out...a $10 bill in the hat and everything. Wow!

Good job man.

Give some thought about your order of effects in your routine now. I'm not saying they NEED to change order. I wasn't there. I don't have a clue.

However, after working a routine (even one day) I find it helpful to go back and think about the high and low energy points of the show.

It's kinda like a musical score.

You don't want your most energizing/vibrant piece in the middle. You want to knock their socks off at the end...well, that's my take on it...any/every rule is made to be broken.

So, really all I'm saying is think about your incremental routine and decide if you like the order or if it might benefit to reshuffle.

Adding/Subtracting effects & bits is a whole 'nother can of worms...a headache I won't presume to know anything about.

I HAVE changed the order of my effects twice before with HUGE energy differences (and hat sizes) for the same basic show. That's why I offer the thought.

Anywho. Good job man!

Chad
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks Chad. I understand. I am planning to play around with the order of my rountine. I will experiment with the order by approaching whatever crowd I can, even if it is a child's party, family reunion, company picnic, etc. Next, I will try whatever one that fits me the most on the streets. Thanks again Chad.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Mike , I liked the Photos, thanks for sharing. Man, not only have you've got your show together, you've got a photo-team as well!! Great! Hey, did Talksalot teach you how to get that together!?! Mannnn.

Mike, a few different points of view: `A class act gets a class take.' Don't dress down. You looked great. You looked `special'. That's important.

I play `big'. Just setting-up builds an audience. And I open`big'. One of my best, flashiest, impressive numbers. I want to plant the idea, "Let's stay. This IS something!" Chad is also right on, though, you've got to `finish' them with a satified feeling. The ending IS important,... but if no one is there? I open big.

,hey, I hope you get that `Chair Suspension' out there as well. It'd be great on the streets. Just it standing there, waiting to be used, will draw curiosity. OK, it's a pain to transport,... but work it out.

With the cops, it ain't often the `men in blue' will have the nerve to stop you dead; when you've got a BIG audience! (another reason to open `big'). If they `have' to stop you, they'll usually let you finish your show. (a great gag, after all has been agreed on, is walkng them off with a plastic squirt gun. Walking behind them, they can't see what's going on,... but the audience cracks up.)

hey, keep on. And thanks for sharing.
gallagher
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I'm not really a busker or anything but I never much understood the dress down thing. wouldn't it be better to dress for your character/personality?

I would think you would want to strive to be a attractive .... attraction; not just a spectacle.

it's a view point from the outside looking in of course.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Gallagher and Joshua, I want to thank both of you very much. I appreciate your comments. If a person is jealous of the way I dress, I won't let it hurt me. Smile Smile Smile

Quote:
On 2008-08-04 14:35, gallagher wrote:
Hey Mike , I liked the Photos, thanks for sharing. Man, not only have you've got your show together, you've got a photo-team as well!! Great! Hey, did Talksalot teach you how to get that together!?! Mannnn.

It was not just Talksalot. It was also the rest of you members who have been giving me lots of support with your splendid ideas. We need more people like you guys in this world.

Quote:
Mike, a few different points of view: `A class act gets a class take.' Don't dress down. You looked great. You looked `special'. That's important.

Thank you very much. I bet the jealous and prejudice ones would look at it differently. Smile

Quote:
I play `big'. Just setting-up builds an audience. And I open`big'. One of my best, flashiest, impressive numbers. I want to plant the idea, "Let's stay. This IS something!" Chad is also right on, though, you've got to `finish' them with a satified feeling. The ending IS important,... but if no one is there? I open big.

I learned something today. Keep the ideas coming.

Quote:
,hey, I hope you get that `Chair Suspension' out there as well. It'd be great on the streets. Just it standing there, waiting to be used, will draw curiosity. OK, it's a pain to transport,... but work it out.

Pretty soon I am going to be working on making a custom carrying case for it. It will be easy to carry by shoulder or hand.

Quote:
With the cops, it ain't often the `men in blue' will have the nerve to stop you dead; when you've got a BIG audience! (another reason to open `big'). If they `have' to stop you, they'll usually let you finish your show. (a great gag, after all has been agreed on, is walkng them off with a plastic squirt gun. Walking behind them, they can't see what's going on,... but the audience cracks up.)

I gotcha. I will be more careful also to where I set up.

Quote:
hey, keep on. And thanks for sharing.
gallagher
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The only thing I want to say is your comments about the police. You seem to imply that you kept them at bay with your amazing magic while the simple fact is if you are not blocking anything and if no problems have existed before the police are not going to bother you. The fact they didn't bounce you isn't impressive, they were just doing their job.

In this case you picked a good spot where a crowd already existed.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
He didn't hold them at bay with his impressive magic, he got kicked off the pitch!

Quote:
I was announcing I was about to start. The sergeant spoke to me wanting to see my papers to perform. Since I had nothing to show him he told me to walk away.

That's my point, he looked like he didn't belong there - if he looked like everyone else and wasn't lugging a suitcase table all over the place, he would probably still be there.

Street performers aren't to look like professional stars - Jimmy wears a suit that looks like it came from the salvation army. Dark subdued colors, not flamboyant.

And he is missing the most important part of any street performer attire: A HAT! How exactly did you expect to pass a hat that you weren't wearing? Do you know some trick to make a hat appear out of nowhere or something? The hat is what makes you stand out on the street, not a fancy suit.

You could get away with keeping the suit if your into the Mac King look ... but diffidently lose the shoes and get a hat.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
Learn JoeJoe's secrets at Magic Joint dot com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-08-04 00:56, Dynamike wrote:

Photo #102.jpg you will noticed a girl in the front with a pink outfit. Standing behind her is her father. (He gave me $10 after my act). Look slightly right of her father. You will notice a police officer. He had a partner with him also. They stayed until the #108.jpg picture was taken as I was performing my Linking Ring rountine.

Two police officers were watching me perform for couple of minutes. They did not say anything and walked away. At that moment no money was mentioned.

Quote:
I moved to a different area about 30 feet away and performed again. I had more of a crowd. I felt more relaxed. I saw a sergeant as I doing my collection. He did not say anything to me. I moved to a new area about 50 feet away. I was announcing I was about to start. The sergeant spoke to me wanting to see my papers to perform. Since I had nothing to show him he told me to walk away.

After I was collecting tips for my second performance I saw a sergeant. He did not stop me from collecting. I walked away to a different spot. I was about to start a third act. That same sergeant who saw me collect now knew what it was all about. That is when he requested papers from me.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Dress Down? Like the Naked Cowboy?
I like your suit, it stands out and lets everyone know you are a performer. I have seen people walk right by a busker not realizing he was a busker. He just looked like an attention seeking older teenager.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you Manal. We need more members with wisdom like yours. Thanks again.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I was in ther military when Detroit died around 1980, give or take a year. We had loads of people, at least those that could clear the criminal check, join up and I can assure you, the guys from Detroit all wore light blue suits, red suits, Christmas green suits, bad hats....it is a detroit thing. I'm sure that most the people who say Dynamike thought "Goodness, he is a fine looking lad in that suit, I had one thirty years ago and...hey....it IS my old suit!"
Magikrn
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Magikrn
I think the suit looks great. It is much better than dressing like a Hobo like a lot of the buskers I see. No offense to them if that is their style, but this man looks good in that suit!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks for the nice comment Magikrn.
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
The photos look great.It's good to be distinctive and stand out from the crowd.
I think one of your best tricks would have been getting that woman to take all the photos.Also if you did Chris Capehart's Misers Dream,this would have gone over very well.Best with your future performances.

Chappelly
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My first time street busking » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL