The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My first time street busking » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
Dynamike,
As someone who has earned his money solely through busking for almost three straight years in the early 80's. I'm proud of you and I'm also impressed with your spirit.

For me busking was done initially out of necessity when I arrived in New York without job prospects and I primarily worked from my pockets.

Also don't freak out about being moved by the police it's part of the job.

If you're going to be at the Abbott's Get-Together this week let's hang out. I'll share some of my experiences.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-08-05 00:07, chappelly wrote:
The photos look great.It's good to be distinctive and stand out from the crowd.
I think one of your best tricks would have been getting that woman to take all the photos.Also if you did Chris Capehart's Misers Dream,this would have gone over very well.Best with your future performances.

Chappelly

I like the way she took the photos too. I got a strong feeling she was already a photographer. I regret I did not tip her for taking them for me.

Yes, it was Chris Capehart's Miser's Dream routine. It helped me generate a lot of laughter. That is why I kept it last.

Quote:
On 2008-08-05 02:06, Brad Lancaster wrote:
Dynamike,
As someone who has earned his money solely through busking for almost three straight years in the early 80's. I'm proud of you and I'm also impressed with your spirit.

Wow, three years, I'm sure it was tough. Thanks.

Quote:
For me busking was done initially out of necessity when I arrived in New York without job prospects and I primarily worked from my pockets.

I might start the same area. If not, it will be in Chicago or LA. I am planning Street Busking as my "safety net" while I put my marketing together to do paid shows.

Quote:
Also don't freak out about being moved by the police it's part of the job.

I understand. I will go with the flow.

Quote:
If you're going to be at the Abbott's Get-Together this week let's hang out. I'll share some of my experiences.

Sorry, I am already booked for this weekend. Because of the economy, I'm taking whatever I can. Last weekend was the first weekend I had no shows to do. I will try and squeeze in at The Motor City Close-Up convention this year.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Hey Mike, for comparison I think you should show everyone how the Mayor of Detroit dresses! LOL

I think you look great by the way.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2008-08-05 09:10, Bill Nuvo wrote:
Hey Mike, for comparison I think you should show everyone how the Mayor of Detroit dresses! LOL

You look great in those photos, but I'd go all out. Wear the orange suit, man.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-08-05 09:10, Bill Nuvo wrote:

But I am not wearing that diamond earring he use to wear. Montel Williams had two of them.

Quote:
On 2008-08-05 09:26, Mark Raven wrote:
You look great in those photos, but I'd go all out. Wear the orange suit, man.

Mark

Yea, I can see how those colors will attract attention. I got several other colors to. The hard part about them is paying the cleaner's bill.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2008-08-04 14:39, Joshua Barrett wrote:
I'm not really a busker or anything but I never much understood the dress down thing. wouldn't it be better to dress for your character/personality?

It depends on where you are busking, at Barefoot Landing I wear a flamboyant tails coat ... but I wouldn't dare wear that busking downtown Myrtle Beach. Why?

Because it attracts too much attention - the cops spotted Mike before he ever reached his pitch. He seems to think they walked by to give him a nod of approval, when in reality they were moving in to get a closer look - much like sharks that circle their prey before moving in for the kill. You can bet money they were already on their radio before he ever spotted them, and they were just waiting for him to give them a reason to move him along - which is exactly what he did.

Quote:
On 2008-08-04 16:21, manal wrote:
Dress Down? Like the Naked Cowboy?

The Naked Cowboy works Times Square, where street performing is more acceptable. When he took his act to a strange town (San Fransisco to be exact), he got himself arrested. If Mike was in an area where busking was encouraged, he could wear whatever he wanted and nobody would care.

What Mike did is an example of what NOT to do when breaking in a new pitch. You dress like everyone else, you do a short show, you don't hat your crowd. The first time you go out, the cops will think you are a problem - you need to show them you are not. The second time you go out, they will leave you alone. The third time, they will say "don't worry about him, he sucks". Eventually, it gets to where you "belong" there, just like the Naked Cowboy belongs in Times Square.

Eventually, they will come up and talk to you and you can get them to like you. At that point, when they see someone putting money in your hat they will say "hey, he's getting pretty good - they are even giving him money now". You will have turned the tables, and now they are rooting for you.

I think Mike needs to reevaluate what his goals are - if he wants to wear flashy suits and draw lots of attention with fat hats, he will end up getting arrested. However, if he wants to use pure skill to draw small crowds with short simple shows for smaller hats, he could get away with busking in Detroit.

I personally wouldn't bother, its a waste of time ... more profitable to find private property and offer your services. But he doesn't seem to like my advice so whatever.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I was trying to be funny when I mentioned The Naked Cowboy.
Your above post makes a lot of sense Joe Joe. Thanks for the more indepth explanation.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I know you were, I was just using it as a good example to explain the whole "dress down" thing. Your welcome. Smile

-JoeJoe
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-08-04 14:35, gallagher wrote:
With the cops, it ain't often the `men in blue' will have the nerve to stop you dead; when you've got a BIG audience! (another reason to open `big'). If they `have' to stop you, they'll usually let you finish your show. (a great gag, after all has been agreed on, is walkng them off with a plastic squirt gun. Walking behind them, they can't see what's going on,... but the audience cracks up.)

I can't count on one hand alone how many times I've seen the cops break up a big show, mid act. If you don't manage your crowd, the "men in blue" will do it for you. They've got a gun and a badge of authority... and they don't fear us at all.

The squirt gun gag idea is Bad, just... Bad -these aren't clown cops, you know. They'll turn right around and arrest you for that kind of nonsense.
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oh yeah. We had a clown on stilts at one festival here who was squirting the audience with one of those "power squirters." Managed to hit a cop INSIDE his patrol car. Said police officer had words with the clown which ended with the clown being arrested and charged with assault on a police officer!

NEVER a good idea!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-08-04 16:21, manal wrote:
I like your suit, it stands out and lets everyone know you are a performer.

I want to thank you again Manal. Most of the members on this thread are argeeing with you. If you notice on the first post some officers were watching me. They are noticed on a few of the photos. Neither of the two officers stopped me. They noticed how I was entertaining the audience. A sergeant did stop me from starting my thrid performance. Because The city ordiance reads the following for Detroit for "Sidewalk Entertainment":
Sec. 5-1-5. Sidewalk entertainers permitted; conditions.
(a) Except for Residentially Zoned Districts of the City (R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, and R6) and Residential Planned Development (PD) Districts, sidewalk entertainers shall be allowed to perform on outdoor public areas or walkways live entertainment which consists of dance, drama, juggling, mime, musical performances, singing, or other such entertainment that is associated with the performing arts.
(b) In accordance with this section, sidewalk entertainers are permitted to perform only upon the following conditions:
(1) Such performance shall not be allowed on city property that is under the jurisdiction of the recreation department, except for recreation department property that is located in the Downtown Business District;
(2) Such performances shall not take place during any carnival, festival, parade, or other event that either is scheduled by any city department or is permitted by the city council;
(3) During such performances, sidewalk entertainers are prohibited from using any device that increases volume including, but not limited to, an amplifier, a horn and a microphone, or from using any passive instrument of entertainment, such as a cassette player, a compact disc player or a radio;
(4) Such performance shall not involve the sale of any goods or services;
(5) During such performances, sidewalk entertainers shall not solicit donations, but may accept unsolicited contributions; and
(6) Such performances shall not interfere with vehicular or pedestrian traffic.
(c) When in the judgment of the police department such performance is obstructing vehicular or pedestrian traffic, or is interfering with crowd control or public safety, and upon the request of the police department, such entertainer shall move his, or her, performance.
(d) Sidewalk entertainers who desire to perform shall do so at their own risk, and the city shall not be responsible for any damage which may be incurred to their personal property during the performance.
(Ord. No. 11-04, § 1, 3-24-04)

Street busking is not allowed in Detroit. Sidewalk Entertainment is not allowed in a festival of Detroit. There was no one else Street Busking. If someone else was Street Busking, the sergeant would have stopped them too, no matter what type of clothes the person was wearing. If I would have had the type of papers the sergeant asked me for, everything would have been approved.

I have confidence of performing in any area. The first important thing is feeling comfortable by being yourself. If I wear my same type of clothes I bet it will attract good attention, even though some people might not like the style. The character comes next. Be positive. If I wore a different type of clothing, the crowd will see I am feeling uncomfortable, leaving them uncomfortable. The performance is important too. I got a headstart because I have been a professional magician for 17 years. If the crowd is pleased by the way you perform, they will leave a tip. The style of clothing will not be in their mind.

Following is three important steps in order to build a bridge collecting good tips with Street Busking:
1. You must have the interest and confidence.
2. You must show a good attitude, and character by being yourself.
3. Please the audience with good entertainment.
With the above three the audience will not mind if the Street Busker wore a different style clothing.

Remember what magicians wore in the 60's? Some magicians still wear tophats or tuxedos. Now there are several different styles.

I have been doing parties in different cities at different ethics. I never had one complaint about what I wore. I also get calls to come back for repeats even though the audience dressed different from me.

Manal, I will explain it a little more to you by sending you a PM.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 17:16, Dynamike wrote:
Street busking is not allowed in Detroit. Sidewalk Entertainment is not allowed in a festival of Detroit. There was no one else Street Busking. If someone else was Street Busking, the sergeant would have stopped them too, no matter what type of clothes the person was wearing. If I would have had the type of papers the sergeant asked me for, everything would have been approved.

Ummm ... no ... Sec. 5-1-5(c) clearly says the cops can move you along based on their "judgment". They don't need a reason, if they see a crowd of people all they have to say is you are blocking those people from being able to walk down the sidewalk and your outta there.

It also says you are not allowed to solicit a tip - that means you are not allowed to ask for, persuade, entice, incite, have a sign, or even so much as take your hat off and put it on the ground.

That law is designed to give the cops the authority to mess with people they don't like (hint: that's you). Despite what you think, cops are not paid to take in the sights of the city like tourists - if a cop is watching you, then you have a problem.

I did my first street performance 20 years ago, it is amazing that after going out one time you would come here and proclaim you now know the secrets to getting tips on the street. It doesn't matter how long you have been a magician, you lack "street smarts" - my advice on your attire has absolutely nothing to do with collecting a tip, it has to do with avoiding the police.

-JoeJoe
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-08-09 03:16, JoeJoe wrote:
I did my first street performance 20 years ago, it is amazing that after going out one time you would come here and proclaim you now know the secrets to getting tips on the street.

I can see how jealousy plays the factor here. Smile
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1264 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Mike:

Not sure if you're still doing this but I want to be another to congratulate you for having the guts to go out there and "just do it".

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you very much, Steve. Yes, I am still doing it. I had to take a break temporarily because of the weather. I was going to do it yesterday, but I still have the TCA Chemical Peel on my face. The film should be off in a few more days.

I have already e-mailed different event planners, waiting for feed back.

My two prime targets are Windsor, Canada and Royal Oak, MI.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-08-09 12:05, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-09 03:16, JoeJoe wrote:
I did my first street performance 20 years ago, it is amazing that after going out one time you would come here and proclaim you now know the secrets to getting tips on the street.

I can see how jealousy plays the factor here. Smile

I'm not seeing "jealousy," I'm seeing a guy with experience trying to pass it on.
Now me, I'M jealous!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I certainly have no reason to be jealous of Mike. I gave him square advice, and when it didn't fit into his round hole he lashed out at me. In fact, it is the exact same advice I gave Jeff Wampler on this thread in 2005:

Quote:
After you been there a while, you can also add to your space - I like a 5 galloon clear water bottle to collect the tips. You can slowly work in signs and other things as well - but be there a few times first, you don't want to shock them with a massive hand cart full of junk. Ease into the space gently, let them get comfortable with you being there. That will prevent complaints from other vendors and what not.

My advice has nothing to do with Mike or what he was wearing - it has to do with the fact that he was a stranger to the environment he was in. Sadly, few buskers ever think about how others in the environment are going to react to their presence; their only focus being on themselves.

It's kind of like playing pool ... oh sure ... the hustler COULD make that bank shot ... but is it really wise to do so on the first game?? If your traveling around hitting established pitches you don't need to worry about it, but if you want to break in a new pitch in an area that is not friendly to buskers ... you need to play smart - you need to play like a hustler.

-JoeJoe
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Well put JoeJoe.
Gwyd
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I quite like the suit! It's got a kind of sleazy charm to it.

However, JoeJoe is correct that most buskers seem to dress down as performers.

Perhaps you could try a few different combinations until you find the one that works best for you...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
It is all up to the individual on how he wants to dress. He has multiple choices. Some will want to copy others. Some will wear certain outfits in certain areas. I rather be myself and wear something that is casual as I do everywhere I go. I see it helps attracts attention to the individual by wearing a colorful outfit because it stands out from others. Kozmo knows what I am talking about.

The only time I would wear something different is when I am about to perform in a Renaissance Festival because that is what the guest are expecting. Any other festival that has nothing to do with how a person dresses, I'll wear my average outfit.

Busking is about making money while entertaining. By being yourself, it helps makes you more comfortable. When the crowd sees a comfortable busker, they will be willing to give more.

If I had complaints about what I presently wear on the streets or to my paid performances, I would change things around. I just started busking last year. I saw several magicians who noticed me at the festivals. Not one person (magician, guest or event planner) recommended me to wear something else.

"Be yourself."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My first time street busking » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL