The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Zombie ball questions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
nowyoucme
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of nowyoucme
I was just worndering? I just bought anything floats. I plan on using this with my zombie.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
OK, sort of a plug here,
but I cover a lot on Floating Balls in general,
and Zombie in partiuclar,
along with full presentations in my new book,
on pre-pub special if you're interested in this type of performance.

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/tales_of_enchantment.htm

Magically, Walt
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-08-21 19:02, lucianoristori wrote:
The original Losander Zombie Ball DVD seems to be out of print and very hard to find.
Is any of the more recent Losander's DVDs a good replacement? Is the original material
included in the Art of Levitation 1,2 & 3?
Thanks...

Luciano

I was wondering the same thing, but I think the best person to answer this question is Losander. You can email him. Many have said on the Café that he answers his emails. Otherwise, we have to wait till a person who posts that has both versions and wishes to compare the information on them.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
There is some very good advice here on this topic

I performed a short Zombie routine as part of an act in a comedy show we did last night
to a sell out crowd at Large Club cabaret Venue that we have done on tour Nationally & is well known here & in England
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wheeltappers & Shunters
http://www.newlynnrsa.org.nz/entertainment.htm

A full evening of fun filled, non stop variety entertainment featuring top national and international acts.
As seen on T.V

* Side Splitting comedy
** Incredible Magic
***Fantastic Variety
**** Fabulous Music

"If you see just one show this year .... do not miss this top international show" NZ Herald

".. had the crowd stomping their feet and yelling for more" ... Live Guide review

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The character of the ball is so important to the style of routine and many comments
after the shows were all related to that amazing funny floating Ball-it was Hilarious but
how did you do that..........its not me their worried about its the mischevious ball...

Years of different techniques & shows & adding & dropping moves etc will
make Zombie a great addition to your act even if its only 75 seconds long to music etc

Cheers

Brent
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Brent's statement, "...Zombie (would be) a great addition to your act even if its only 75 seconds long to music..."

Right on the money. That's ideal and never more than 90 seconds. I've seen a lot of Zombies. Rings N' Things'2, Zombie is Ultra quality, balanced and light weight:

http://rnt2.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=29921

If you are budget minded, and don't want the Morrissey, Viking Magic has one:

http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=1274

And you can purchase a Foulard (cloth) at Viking as well. The Morrissey is the one I had for years. Today, the RNT2 or the Viking would be my two choices. Notice the price difference. You do get what you pay for.

Doug
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Begin watching at 3 minutes / 35 seconds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsYlS6dFvTg&feature=related

One of the most interesting I've seen on YouTube.

Magically,
Walt

(and get my new book "Tales of Enchantment" from LeapingLizards.com with an entire chapter on Floating Spheres.)
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Has anyone reviewed the Dream zombie? I know Ian said he used to make them out of Xmas materials and I once had the Don Wayne ball which was simliar but if I recalled seamed.

The Dream Zombie seems priced right but I wondered how CHROME it looks in person and if there is any finish issues over time.

Thanks

PS to Ian- I do know a method you once created and you tipped to me in your shop long ago. Why you showed me I was not sure. You told me you were trying to get Jeff to use it or working it out with him. I was a teenager. Anyway I guess there are a few who know of this. Smile

;)
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Power, I think Ian's version is a good alternative in many instances.

That said, for me after decades of experience, a xmas ball looks like an xmas ball to a lay audience.
It just does not carry it off, no matter what many myopic magician's may say.
You just get what you pay for, and if it's in a dollar store.... well...

To adapt his idea to a quality ball is far more appealing to me.

I don't believe however, that Ian is still selling these, unless he stared again very recently.

My thoughts,
Walt
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Well I diagree, these were large round silver plastic balls that were soft but had a mirrored chrome. the only thing that made it look like a Xmas ball was the shape of the top and a silver hanger like a glass ornamnent. But the ones I used ot see wer very large much like the zombie.

The Don Wayne ball was the same material but two halves were silver taped together but not notible from stage.

The Dream zombie seems like it is harder. I am looking for comfirmation since when the FAB magic guy bangs it on the table in his video it makes a thud. A soft plastic would not make this sound.

The matte ones FAB shows on there site look like a plastic ball. But the mirrored ones look pretty good but their photos are not that great,

I was curious if the finish holds up.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Timothy Drake's Zombie Ball caught my eye. Where can one get such a big size for a zombie ball?
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Make one from Don Waynes floating ball............
as in the clip

Timothys routine is fabulous!!
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Quote:
On 2010-08-28 18:33, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-21 19:02, lucianoristori wrote:
The original Losander Zombie Ball DVD seems to be out of print and very hard to find.
Is any of the more recent Losander's DVDs a good replacement? Is the original material
included in the Art of Levitation 1,2 & 3?
Thanks...

Luciano

I was wondering the same thing, but I think the best person to answer this question is Losander. You can email him. Many have said on the Café that he answers his emails. Otherwise, we have to wait till a person who posts that has both versions and wishes to compare the information on them.

Losander's original zombie routine is included in " the art of levitation vol.3"
I don't have the original zombie dvd, but that is what Losander said when I bought the dvd from him. The footage certainly appears to have been produced at an earlier time from the rest of the dvd. He appears younger, different setting etc.

It's very useful stuff to watch.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-01-03 15:14, Powermagic wrote:
Has anyone reviewed the Dream zombie? I know Ian said he used to make them out of Xmas materials and I once had the Don Wayne ball which was simliar but if I recalled seamed.

The Dream Zombie seems priced right but I wondered how CHROME it looks in person and if there is any finish issues over time.

Thanks

PS to Ian- I do know a method you once created and you tipped to me in your shop long ago. Why you showed me I was not sure. You told me you were trying to get Jeff to use it or working it out with him. I was a teenager. Anyway I guess there are a few who know of this. Smile

;)

I have only performed (or even practiced) my Zombie method that I "tipped to you" less than 3 times in 30 years. Called it "mime ball" because it combined isolation moves along with zombie moves.
The last time I did it was 2 years ago.
http://magicians.podbean.com/village-ball/

Thanks for remembering.
My goats got into my magic warehouse and scattered the plastic balls all over 20 acres of field and forest, its quit a site to go hiking on the land and find zombie balls, thumb tips and other magic paraphernalia.
The finish on the vacuum plated balls fades or loses its luster after a while, but from stage, even major scratches are not visible due to the mirror finish. (especially when in the rain or kicked by goats)
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1159 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Please don't make the common mistake of trying to get too creative with the size, style, composition and extra features of the zombie ball. There's a threshold of size when doing non-gimmick moves, and this, for me is the softball sized zombie, silver, without any point of reference. I'm all for experimentation and creativity... just be aware of what you're losing when you break the rule of standard sized zombie...
MattWMagic
View Profile
New user
Issaquah, WA
23 Posts

Profile of MattWMagic
Use a coat hanger for a gimmick. Make sure its a rubber covered one but you can just put a shoe lace oveer it.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Hi All,

I'm re-animating my zombie routine and have a few questions. First, my older ball is now my practice ball because of dents.

Seems like morrissey is no longer making the zombie. So viking looks nice, and RNT looks real nice. I want 4.25 inches and very shiny... Any thoughts?

I have two (expensize) matching dragon silks and I'm thinking of getting them sewn together for a new foulard. Is this a big mistake? What is the best WAY to do this?

I have traditionally done the zombie with the w*re wrapped around a TT and holding the silk between thumb and index finger. There are a few moves you can't do, but wow it looks so natural and delicate.

Has anyone done this before? Is this likewise a stupid idea?

Thanks in advance...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
IF you are going to sew the rice silks together, make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing. It needs to be sewn wrong side out and then turned inside out and then the small opening closed with a hand stitch or delicate machine work. When finished it should not hang or come apart. Neil Foster told me that the air between the 2 silks is what helps make it opaque.

Rice original Zombie silks were double weight silks sewn together, for you information, not single weight, but Neil Foster said the single weight will work just a well.

No, I bought the General Grant double tube gimmick for $20, it give total control and is easy on the fingers. Contact him through his email.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
As an alternative to sewing two matching dragon silks together, I had a 36-inch Rice's Starburst silk sewn to a 36-inch solid black silk. (I wanted something different from the dragon foulard that a lot of zombie-workers use.) This will also provide some contrast if during your routine both sides of the foulard are visible. As long as there is no backlighting, I have found this combination of two silks to be effective. You will have to search tailor shops to find someone who can do a good job sewing a decent hem to the combined silks. Take the two silks around to various shops and ask the tailor if they can sew the two silks with a hem similar to what is already on them.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Actually by using the method I mentioned you don't need to stitch a small hem on the silks. They can just stitch close to the edge when turned. I had one done by an expert seamstress and I am very happy with her work. Neil Foster you don't have to worry about back light if using 2 matching design silks.

I agree a lot of magicians used the Dragon foulard's 60 and 70 years ago, but not many use them now as most have been lost over time.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-09-19 16:15, wmhegbli wrote:
IF you are going to sew the rice silks together, make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing. It needs to be sewn wrong side out and then turned inside out and then the small opening closed with a hand stitch or delicate machine work. When finished it should not hang or come apart. Neil Foster told me that the air between the 2 silks is what helps make it opaque.

Rice original Zombie silks were double weight silks sewn together, for you information, not single weight, but Neil Foster said the single weight will work just a well.

No, I bought the General Grant double tube gimmick for $20, it give total control and is easy on the fingers. Contact him through his email.

Its not necessarily the air, but the fact that the two weaves of each silk will not align. I used to make the foulards for rings n things zombies. They were made from pocket silk material.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Zombie ball questions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL