The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfield's Vanishing Bandana (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Ed Garcia
View Profile
New user
Lindenhurst, IL
35 Posts

Profile of Ed Garcia
I've been guilty of wanting to copy routines I've seen because I thought they were so good, but Kyle is right. When it comes to creativity it something that needs to be practiced and worked upon and anyone can do it, it just may take others more time is all.

I thought Copperfield's version of the Vanishing Bandanna was brilliant and very enjoyable... it's what got me interested in doing the Vanishing Bandanna in the first place. Did I think about copying his presentation? I'd be lying if I said I didn't, even for a brief moment... but I suddenly realized what made his version work the most is that it was HIS. It was HIS personality and presentation that made it so great. Switch things around and assume me in that role in that same exact routine and it wouldn't have been as good... not that I'm a bad performer, I'm just different. That's the thing a lot of magicians overlook because it seem too hard to do, but put yourself into your routines... be you! There's only one you.

It's funny, but I sometimes get a compliment I'm sure a lot of people on here can relate to: a layperson saying something like "You're the next David Copperfield" or insert whatever famous magician they may know. My response is always a polite "Thank you" followed up by "but no... I'm the first Ed Garcia."

Sound pompous? Full of myself? I don't think so... it just sounds like a person who is aware of themselves and is confident in their abilities... AND knows they are different.

I think the best way to become a success in this or any type of show business is to not only be different, but be yourself... and if you think about it, that's not hard to do because there is only one you in the first place.

it takes nothing to copy someones routine... but it takes a lot to create yor own. Don't know about you, I'd like to performing an original routine instead of being a copycat.

Just my two cents.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Couple of thoughts. 1: Do you know of any acts that "do other people's material" that are really successful?

2: Many actors are NOT CREATIVE... but they do material created by others. So...you see, if you are NOT CREATIVE you need to seek out some writers that you can work with to create material for you. If you plan on working for payment, then you need to budget for special material.

If you want comedic material, like the Bandana/Banana... go to some comedy clubs and meet some guys that write material. Give them some premises and talk about what you think might be a way to develope some new material.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
The real secret to doing this effectively is to not act, but react. Forget everything else and listen to the recording. React to it.

As far as the purse, the earlier post was correct. This was a common one that was being used at the time. David is famous for using stooges, so you would have to plant this one. As far as the bag, it looks like a double side flap. It should be easy to make if you are handy with leather. Some of the glues that are on the market should make it easy to make without sewing.
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
You know, the gay banana in the purse joke was originally done by Milton Berle in 1948, so if you do not have his permission to use it, please don't......
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
164 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
It is so funny...to read this thread...if you want a good, original, funny presentation, go and hire a good comedy writer and do your act for them. It may cost you a few thousand, but it is money very well invested.....they will write, in some cases, very funny material, and it will be yours.....I really don't think for one moment that DC writes all his own material. Quite frankly, it would be far too much work for a man that does 500 live shows per year... Think about it, several 1000 people see DC each week. He has been doing the same show for several years now, and he is still using the same lines, call backs and patter. So it is not only a good idea to hire a writer, it is the essential.

What is it they say? Don't change your show, change your audience!

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers,

Mike
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfield's Vanishing Bandana (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL