The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Where to find edging? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'm not even sure what to properly call it! I would like to find brass (preferably) edging strips - strips that will cover the edge of two sides of a box and run down the complete length of the joint. And they need to be fairly narrow - 1/8-3/16 inch wide on either side. I just need to cover imperfect glue joints in a plastic box!

Where does one look for this stuff?

Ed
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
That would probably do, Clinton, but I don;t know that it's what I want to order. They have a 3/8 x 3/8, 1/8 thick angle bar. But looking at the weight per foot - 0.3 - and the weight per piece - 6.0, the one piece I would order would be 20 feet!!

I was hoping for perhaps a hobby or wood/metal craft supply that would have small pieces. Then again, maybe I could sell the other 19 1/2 feet on ebay and make a profit! Smile

Ed
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Try Ace Hardware; my local one has a bunch of small metal strips for "hobby" use. You may also want to try local hobby/model RC shops- or even Michael's Arts and Crafts. It'll be more expensive per foot, but you won't have to buy in bulk.

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
Most decent hobby shops sell round and square tubes, angles, and other shapes in brass, aluminum, copper, and sometimes stainless steel. Look for the "K&S" display racks.

Smallparts.com also sells brass angle as well as lots of other cool things:

http://www.smallparts.com/Brass-Angle-Pr......rd_t=101

Ross
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
Call around to find out who stocks K&S metal -- that is the best vendor for small metal bits that I think is out there. They also make music wire and things like that.

If you have a university or college nearby, find out where they send architecture or design students for model making supplies. An art store like that will likely have it. Likewise a good independent hobby or r/c aircraft/car shop.

The K&S stuff goes down pretty small, and it's cheap enough that you can afford to take the whole pack if they ask you to for a special order.

FWIW, and glad I live about 2 minutes from UTA and its student-driven economies,

Pix
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Take a look at the flexible chrome look edge trim in the auto stores like Kragen. Most of it is U channel and meant for door edges and the like, at times you can find angle or L channel, also try TAP plastics, they have an online presence, and they have a lot of nice flexible materials in many colors.
If you are vested in a metal edge, then take a look at the door and wall corner protectors in the local OSH or hardware stores, these are usually aluminium and have a fair amount of flexibility to them, and come in anodized gold tone as well as aluminum.
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Where to find edging? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL