The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » AGT and Pendragons - Confused (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Tonight (august 5) I watched, (painfully) the first of Vegas Week on America's Got Talent. When they showed the act that failed again, there was another magician backstage watching, and for just the briefest moment I was sure I saw Jonathan Pendragon. which made sense. the "variety acts" were grouped together, and watched each other from the wings. Not everyone's audition made it to air of course. But then when the magicians were brought out to learn their fate, there were just the two. No Pendragons. It was not stated these were the only magicians, merely implied by production and editing.

So, does anyone know what their status is on the show? This is the most convoluted of the "Reality" competitions, imho, with editing and "surprises" designed to manufacture a very specific emotional ride for the viewer. They may have decided the Pendragons are too professional for the human interest side of the stories, and they are saving their next appearance for a more performance-centric show. Who knows. I sit through too much of this show for a few gems.
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
I can't speak for the American version, but I got hooked on the British version whilst I was in the UK a couple of months back, to the dismay of my beautiful and rather tolerant girlfriend. These guys didn't win, but their act sure was great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0X2rbfF1n0

This is the kid that won the British version. A little too much Snow Patrol in this clip for my liking, but he's an awesome dancer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_dcnS-KZpE

Whilst I'm at it, here's the three magic acts that got through to the semi finals. I thought all of them were absolutely terrible, and very, very sloppy.

Sauris Nandi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFvW-iPwY7s

The Deans Of Magic (SEXY MAGIC...apparently...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAVRWCX0yBs

Vizage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7-M0DNEm_g

Enjoy...(you probably won't).

Cheers,

-- Topher
frlane
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of frlane
I wondered the same thing about the Pendragon's. I didn't see them in the 'B' group that were all cut, but they may have been....
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I too was confused because they weren't on the stage when the one got cut. I would have thought they would be featured because of the story he shared with them. So maybe they withdrew...I don't know, but at least it didn't appear that they got cut.
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I think they were somehow voted off.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I just checked my tivo.

When they show the competitors watching in the wings as David Martin was performing, it was very definitely Jonathan and Charlotte Pendragon watching the monitor as the other magician was pointing at it as David performed. So this implies to me that they were indeed at Vegas Week. No mention of them either way with the eliminations.

As an aside, the guy who got aired did terribly, got caught, and denied it. Then got cocky with the judges. And if you're going to claim you've got a brand new style never before seen in magic, don't dress like Criss Angel meets Bret Michaels of Poison.
mrmagic0
View Profile
Inner circle
Ron Frank
1610 Posts

Profile of mrmagic0
I have noticed that AGT does a lot of editing and some acts appear even though you do not see them in earler shows. It would not surprise me if the Pendragons show up later. AGT does not show all the results. At least that is what it looks like to me.

Ron
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
"I didn't mess up, it was all part of the act, just wanted to mess with your minds a little (cheesy smile)" lol. July's issue of magic magazine has a great write up on magicians in AGT by Dan Stapleton, after reading this it's hard to get frustrated with the show and take it for what it is. Smile
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
This thing really is just The Gong Show , but with higher "production values" (who cares? ) and not as funny or entertaining as the Gong Show could be at times .

Who watches this junk ? ( Never mind : rhetorical question. Apparently a lot of people watch it , but not for me , thanks)

The only reason I've seen any of the clips is because of the discussion that goes on here on this board, so I click on the YouTube clips to see acts that I know are good (like the Pendragons or Kevin James) , but I get depressed to see how shoddily those good acts were treated by AGT . Some of the other clips I've seen are of performers who are incredibly BAD in my opinion.

I understand why people go on this show to increase their visibility and hopefully get more real bookings from it , but honestly I think it is just another thing that ultimately cheapens and downgrades the public's perception of magicians (again) .

I can't imagine sitting through a whole episode of this show. The clips are painful enough.
magicuncle
View Profile
Regular user
Elgin, IL
126 Posts

Profile of magicuncle
In case anyone is interested, "The Gong Show" has just made a comeback on Comedy Central. There is a link for how to on the show here http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/gong_show/audition/index.jhtml.

Comedian Dave Attell is the host and it airs on Thursday nights.
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
http://www.dailymotion.com/search/magic/......ty_music

in this link they show the fellow magicians watching backstage. the pendragons are w/ the others watching
Char Pendragon
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Char Pendragon
Jonathan and I are no longer involved with the show. Due to contractual differences between us and the producers we were no longer continued on the program. One problem being our assistants didn't sign contracts...therefore AFTRA problems could have created an issue.
cassius2m
View Profile
New user
Simi Valley, CA
68 Posts

Profile of cassius2m
Bummer, I was looking forward to more of your outstanding performances

-Clay
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Char,

Did you guys perform anything? Like after the subtrunk episode?

Daniel
cosmopop1
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of cosmopop1
In the Top 40 Thursday episode you could see them in the photos on the table and you could see Charolette hugging a contestent that just made it through. So they made it to the Thursday Episode. Also, I watched the entire episode and there was only 39 selections so the Pendragons could be number 40. Thanks

E.B. Nicholson
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
This season has been a train wreck for magic. AGT has chosen to only highlight the negative when it comes to magic. They have exposed several illusions and made everyone look terrible except for the pendragons. I was very much looking forward to seeing them again.
-TW
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of -TW
Magicians should not be afraid of having their secrets (how magicians think), being exposed to the public.

What magicians should REALLY be afraid of is having what the public REALLY thinks of magicians, 'exposed' to magicians! THAT'S where things would really get ugly!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » AGT and Pendragons - Confused (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL