The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paul Brook - Thought Reader Card (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Yes, I enlarged it some. Seems okdoky and no one seemed to notice.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I actually reduced mine down. It now has of 10 different amoeba's on it and you view it on a glass slide with an electron microscope.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Quote:
On 2008-08-29 22:40, Roth wrote:
I actually reduced mine down. It now has of 10 different amoeba's on it and you view it on a glass slide with an electron microscope.

A first! Mentalism you can "inhale".

G
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On 2008-08-29 15:18, Jerskin wrote:
Has anyone actually made the card up with larger printing & has it worked as well?

You can enlarge it if you want, but like I mentioned earlier I use a magnifying card like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Optical-Wallet-Cre......00COHFP2

Or this:

http://www.campingsurvival.com/crcamaposifr.html (this is exactly what I use, actually)

These work great for those who can't see the fine print. I can go into a couple of great reasons why this works better than enlarging, but I'm sure you guys know.

This effect continues to work for me without glitches. It is overall brilliant and I am very happy with it. Very.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Just a reminder that you can get some of these card magnifiers at your local CVS or Wallgreens drug/convenience stores. Rather inexpensive too. And again, better than enlarging in my opinion.

Seems I'm enjoying the two person presentation more than one on one. I'll use a Max Maven quote about something else, to describe the Thought Card Reader ... It's a thing of terrifying beauty....
Dr.J.Jameson
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dr.J.Jameson
How do you introduce the magnifier card Alexandre?

Dr. J
I am currently studying:

-- Absolute Magic - Derren Brown
-- Naked Mentalism - Jon Thompson
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
The only concern I have with Alexandre's suggestion of using a magnifier card or other similar device is that they tend to enlarge the image a bit too much thereby making the "secret" more noticeable and increasing the likelihood of its detection when compared to the much more controlled degree of enlargement accorded by the ability to copy or scan and print -- a capability that I assume is available to most of us. I found that a mere 5-10% enlargement made a big improvement in "readability" without a concomitant increase in detectability of the secret. However, the proof of the pudding will be found through experimentation.
Dick Christian
Dr.J.Jameson
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dr.J.Jameson
I am interested in the idea of a magnifier card and how it would be introduced.

At the moment I simply allow anyone who needs to read the card to hold it in their hands and move it as close to their face as they need to in order to read it. I've not had any problems with reading if I allow people to do this.

Dr. J
I am currently studying:

ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Here's how I introduce it:

Participant: "Geez, I can't see a darn thing on this card ..."

Me: "You can't see the different words on there?"

Participant: "I really can't....

Me: "Here, use this."

It's pretty straight forward.

And I disagree with Dick. I prefer the magnifying card to any kind of enlargement. When you look through a magnifying card you focus pretty much exclusively on what you are looking for, holding the magnifier card at the right angle and position to see what you want to see ... and nothing else.
Dr.J.Jameson
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dr.J.Jameson
Thanks Alexandre.

How often do you find that you have to use the magnifying card?

Dr. J
I am currently studying:

ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I haven't kept a count ... I'd say it's less that 40% of the time. Here in sunny Miami UV rays have damaged a lot of eyes.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2008-09-01 09:59, ALEXANDRE wrote:
I disagree with Dick.

No problem. To each his own. Take your pick.
Dick Christian
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Certainly Dick, but if you try using the magnifier card rather than enlarging the whole thing, you'll see that the enlargement area with the magnifier is limited and people will focus on what they're supposed to be looking at, whereas in the case of a general enlargement, the enlargement is open to all areas of the Thought Reader Card (not that it matters much).

But ultimately you're absolutely right ... to each his own, it works beautifully either way.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Excellent idea Alex, I told my wife to pick one up for me and she said oh one of these she already had one, funny how that works guys. Anyways the magnifier card works just as you say.
Thanks
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Just this afternoon I performed The Thought Reader Card with two people, one used the magnifier, the other didn't, results...? Golden! Strong stuff, man....
Anicetus
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Anicetus
I really like this effect. People have said it's like mental yarn, but I think it's a real step forward. Impromptu, powerful, but relatively easy, and simpler for spectators to follow than a 2-list mental yarn.
I think it's a great trick to turn to for those times where someone asks you (almost as a challenge) to read their mind...and they definitely get what they asked for...clean, direct mindreading without any questions.

Presented correctly, this thing can kill.

Also, for those of you who have read PB's "The Alchemical Tools" (namely the section entitled "Thus Spake Zarathustra") one of the items on the Thought Reader Card may seem very familiar to you. This opens up great opportunities for further direct mindreading. Smile
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
I honestly feel people are easily pleased. I was shown this over the weekend by a respected mentalist who bought this from Paul direct.

The sutblety employed is actually quite old, I have read at least 2 other examples that employ this strategy, one in Magick and the other I believe was on a bordeou effect.

from a psychological point, pulling out a laminated bit of coloured card suggests something wrong, Think about it. Would a real mindreader use one? I think we need to focus more on questions like that in order to advance what we do.

Question everything, that's my motto, that why if youve answered everything yourself you wont be caught short by your audience.

Kind Regards
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Maybe the question should be "what effect does this have on my audience? Are they mystified and entertained by it?"

there's LOTS of ways to give meaning to using the card...from the very easy, to the convoluted...

each to their own though!

but taking your argument mr. fisher - would a real mind reader even ask for a word to be written down? not even for proof, because then he'd be able to further read the change of mind...ah!
I've asked to be banned
MindSeeker
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of MindSeeker
Gordon I can tell you were shown this and have not read Pauls accompanying book. In the book Paul covers the reasoning for having the card in the first place and that reason has not been questioned when I have performed this, ever.

We know that the underlying method is not new, so what? Quite frankly Paul has taken it a step forward by being able to gather information without the spectator saying a single word.

With all respect Gordon I feel that your point of view is based on ignorance and guess work, rather than buying this effect studying it and applying it to THE REAL WORLD!

I agree that you should question things and from what I have read of Pauls work he does as well. But pulling out a laminated card does not suggest anything, only if you presuppose that all laminated pieces of card are somehow card tricks (which is obviously not the case).

We are the mind readers and we do it any way that we so wish. If you went to a car mechanic you would not dictate how he should use his tools in order to do his job, if at all we knew what the tools were for.

In short, people will only see something wrong with the effect if you present it in a way that screams "TRICK" to them. Just look at Uri when he did his drawing dupes, no one said "Why do you have to write it down?" people will simply accept that this is the way it needs to be done. The same is true when you apply the reasoning that Pauls gives with the scripting of this effect.

I am sorry to bang on about this but I have been having some really strong and amazing reactions with this little piece of card and I quite frankly am sick of hearing people who have either not used it or have just thought about it whilst navel gazing pooh poohing it.

If you take the time to script this effect and apply it TO THE REAL WORLD you will see that it is a very strong effect and one that is worth the study of anyone on this forum.
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
Quote:
On 2008-09-02 08:05, IAIN wrote:

but taking your argument mr. fisher - would a real mind reader even ask for a word to be written down? not even for proof, because then he'd be able to further read the change of mind...ah!

My point exactly IAIN
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paul Brook - Thought Reader Card (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL