The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paul Brook - Thought Reader Card (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
Mindseeker, That was quite an emotive post. But for me holds absolutely no merit If you consider a laminated piece of card that you keep with you in your wallet for use when people want their minds "read" to be 21st century then Im glad I am on a different path.

You say I havent read the accompanied pdf. Actually I did. and understood all the subtelties and thinking behind what the author wrote. Some of the thinking was sound and I have no issues with whatsoever. My collegue who showed me the said item then performed it inline with the authors instructions with all the little subtleties in and the lady's response was "Mmmm cute, I like the flowers on the background" Hardly a response. Please don't now accuse my peer of "performing it wrong" Hes a big earner and does this for a living profressionally, and yes you will all know him here.

Bottom line on this IMO is this is a good principle applied bad, turning the potential for a strong piece into a trick or puzzle.

Kind Reagrds
Gordon
MindSeeker
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of MindSeeker
Emotive? yeah! Cant see the issue that a few people are having with this effect.

The fact that you are neglecting to mention this 'name' leads me to think that there is no name. But that is only my thinking and I could totally be wrong.

The only thing that will turn this into a trick (with a capital T) is the performance style. As Andy Nyman states, "People will forgive you anything if they like you!" He produces DBs stuff, and DBs stage show is jam packed full of props (which is essentially what the TRC is).

Anyone can say "I hold your post as having no merit" but that doesn't mean that it has no merit. This card is not the only way to read minds, but it is a way to read minds and as I stated before who says that you cannot use a list of objects to read minds?

When I present this effect I mention that I read body language and by using the list of words I can match up the way the body reacts to the thought of the object from my past experience.

I am not mystically trying to use just any thought (otherwise why would you need ANYTHING) I am simply trying to match up other peoples reactions to what I have observed in the past within a certain parameter (the objects on the list).

If a person came up to you and said "look here is a list of ten items, I have been studying how a persons body language reacts after it has one of these objects in mind. I think that I can tell the minute differences between these body twitches, want to see?" Wouldn't you want to see? The people I am performing for do and they are really entertained by this.

I give a reason for the list (that I have been studying these 10 objects in relation to body movement)and a good reason for any object that you use it will become 'invisible' as a prop.

I am not attempting to be argumentative with you Gordon, I just don't agree with your point of view with regards to this effect.
Dr.J.Jameson
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dr.J.Jameson
Quote:
On 2008-09-02 11:24, Gordon Fisher wrote:

You say I havent read the accompanied pdf. Actually I did.

Gordon



OK you may have seen the effect, but I am not sure reading PDF files that you have not paid for seems very ethical to me!

Dr. J
I am currently studying:

-- Absolute Magic - Derren Brown
-- Naked Mentalism - Jon Thompson
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2008-09-02 11:10, Gordon Fisher wrote:

Quote:
On 2008-09-02 08:05, IAIN wrote:

but taking your argument mr. fisher - would a real mind reader even ask for a word to be written down? not even for proof, because then he'd be able to further read the change of mind...ah!



My point exactly IAIN

so I hope you don't do any billet work...
I've asked to be banned
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3431 Posts

Profile of Looch
IAIN why did you change your name? just curious Smile
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Was that a pattern interrupt?

why? cos abraxus was just a name to use when I first joined a magic forum years ago and I just used it out of laziness...until I worked up the energy to change it...

why did you change yours mate?!
I've asked to be banned
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3431 Posts

Profile of Looch
Ha! a very VERY long story. will tell you about it one day Smile
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Naturally not everyone will like this, which is fine, I'm personally not a fan of p**k wallets or clipboards for instance.

I like this card ... a lot, and don't see a problem whatsoever bringing it out and using it. It's been a workhorse for me since I got it. I'm wearing mine out!
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
Mindseeker - We are obviously on two different paths, so we will agree to disagree on this matter.

Dr J - That is a remedial comment if I ever read one. Its not like I downloaded a pirate copy. I have just turned down seeing a friend though this coming weekend. He has just bought the latest series of Prison Break on DVD and wanting to have a beer with me whilst we watched it. I found it unethical if I did as I havent paid for the DVD myself.

And IAIN - I don't perform billet work no, although having someone write something down and keeping it on them without any interaction from myself doesn't constitute as billet work.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Quote:
On 2008-08-31 11:56, ALEXANDRE wrote:
Just a reminder that you can get some of these card magnifiers at your local CVS or Wallgreens drug/convenience stores.



Some of us are already prepared.
Bryce
View Profile
New user
Oxon, UK
92 Posts

Profile of Bryce
Performed this a fair bit now always to very good reactions. Value for money 9/10.
Celloboy
View Profile
Special user
London, England
533 Posts

Profile of Celloboy
I have been playing around with paul's thought reader card and I have to say I really like it. It is a great piece of kit that you can have with you whenever. I was wary of the reaction it would garner but it got a great reaction. No one has questioned the use of the card yet because of the great explanation paul gives for the use of the card. I'm already working on two different handelings for my stage show. I'm very precious about what goes in my show, so that is high praise for paul's work. Its an awesome idea, well executed and the e.book is well written out and through. Definately recommended. I wish paul would share his creativity around! Lol
joe161205
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of joe161205
So, could a thought card reader be used for large stage performance? because as I know, this card is very small, so it needs to make it larger right?
samdan
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of samdan
It wouldn't work if you made it larger--no more without exposure
joe161205
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of joe161205
Ow, because I thought it can be used for stage performance, then I have an idea to enlarge the card.however you told me that the card will not work for larger, so how to use it o stage?
samdan
View Profile
Special user
513 Posts

Profile of samdan
You could bring up 2 people on stage and use them for the effect but don't think this is a great stage effect--you are using a very small card so don't think it translates well to stage at all--much better for walk around/parlour etc in my opinion
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
If you have access to a projector, you can slip the card under there for a couple of moments, talk about it, then take the card and walk amongst the audience with it choosing two people at random for the experiment. Put the card away. Reveal to a standing ovation.

or

Select two people randomly, let them sit where they are. Walk amongst the audience showing the card, explain it for those who don't get a chance to see it and get verification that the list contains different items. Go to the two individuals, have them view their selection, reveal to a standing ovation.

Truly though, as mentioned, this is best for those casual occasions or walk around party situations.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2459 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2008-08-16 18:31, Ezzet wrote:
I knew the minute I typed that I thought Kioku was obvious that people would jump to its defense. Which is okay everyone have different opinions and that was mine and if kioku slays people in you performance all wonderful for you.
But too say that youre SURE that it was my presentation that was weak or like Lem said for people who cant pull it off, than I think that's taking it a little too far. Maybe it was my presentation or maybe it wasnt. But you werent there. And its not like Kioku is an einstein theory that's needs to be pulled off. Some effects suits some performers better and some effects suits some spectators better.


Ezzet


I find the concept to Kioku interesting. But a lot of the people I have shown it to see through it on some level. I don't think it has anything to do with presentation. It is just the nature of the effect.
LukeB
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of LukeB
Got mine and am well impressed and agree that its great value.
It's such a strong effect with no questions asked-
Also maybe if adding 1 or 2 very innocent questions the list could be expanded to 30-just a thought though I like it the way it is.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Without exposure, could someone tell me if this is different then Mental Yarn? Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paul Brook - Thought Reader Card (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL