The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paul Brook - Thought Reader Card (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Ezzet
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweden
391 Posts

Profile of Ezzet
Received the thought card a few days ago and now read the instructions a few times, seems like a great effect ( tool ), and I will try it out tonight for the first time. For those of you like me who doesn't have english as your native language you can make up a card in your own language. However I will say that it will require some skill to do so and you'll have to have a few things like a scanner, printer and laminater.

Ezzet
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1695 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Not ready to chime in with my own review just yet, but just to answer Samdan, the core effect is really quite easy. The 65 pages are down to one thing: Paul is super thorough. He doesn't just tell you what to do, he tells you the minute details of how to do it, the ins and outs of why you should do it that way, the psychology behind that why, and the research that went into the psychology. He is just like that.

Don't worry, you don't have to check in to a monastery and dedicate your life to the thought reader card, unless you really really want to. You could open the effect, say "Oh, I see" and be pretty much ready to go, but it's worth checking out Paul's instructions, because he explains how not to make the mistakes he has already made on your behalf.

Phill
Check out the incredible Neural Miracle playing cards on Kickstarter:
-+: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phillsmith/incredible-magic-with-the-neural-miracle-playing-cards :+-
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Got it today and just finished reading the manuscript.

I agree with Phill that you'll learn almost immediately how to do this, but I encourage purchasers to read the entire manuscript because some of the same questions you'll be asking yourselves later, are already clearly answered in the 65 page instruction manual. Do it right the first time.

Great stuff.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2559 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I hate to put a fly in the ointment but despite studying the routine and script thoroughly when I tried it on my wife she immediately saw through it.

For those who have this effect, there is a slight risk and maybe my wife is just too suspicious and looks at everything very closely.

A shame but, as I found to my cost and embarrassment, the effect is not sure fire. However as those who have had more positive experiences, when it works you will certainly have a veritable miracle on your hands.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Wives, man...

My wife is like that with EVERY effect I do...don't give up hope, buddy!

Nathan
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Sorry I don't understand is the product description is accurate, how any one would figure it out. They think of one item on the list, before they reveal what it is, you tell them? Also could somone PM me with how sure fire the Kioku is, I have some of the classic mentalism books and a few DVDs (13, Prism, BB ect) and have studied them alot. However, I havn't brought many 'sigle' things and nothing like this.

Thanks,
Paul.
Ezzet
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweden
391 Posts

Profile of Ezzet
Quote:
On 2008-08-16 15:37, NeilS wrote:
I hate to put a fly in the ointment but despite studying the routine and script thoroughly when I tried it on my wife she immediately saw through it.

For those who have this effect, there is a slight risk and maybe my wife is just too suspicious and looks at everything very closely.

A shame but, as I found to my cost and embarrassment, the effect is not sure fire. However as those who have had more positive experiences, when it works you will certainly have a veritable miracle on your hands.

I hear you. I did it for the first time today with my wife too. She didn't figure out the method right away, but without talking to me within a minute or two she came up with the right method. But just like Nathan said my wife is like that with every effect I do, so I will have try it out on more people. However kioku was way to obvious for her and others. Cant see how people get fooled by that one ? Too bad cause I had a lot of hope to bring kioku to my wallet arsenal.

Ezzet
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I find "im going to show you the card now for the first time, I want you to zero in on your number...are you ready.."

never been caught I must admit, and I've performed this about 20 times so far..
I've asked to be banned
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2008-08-16 17:26, Ezzet wrote:
Quote:

I hear you. I did it for the first time today with my wife too. She didn't figure out the method right away, but without talking to me within a minute or two she came up with the right method. But just like Nathan said my wife is like that with every effect I do, so I will have try it out on more people. However kioku was way to obvious for her and others. Cant see how people get fooled by that one ? Too bad cause I had a lot of hope to bring kioku to my wallet arsenal.

Ezzet

Kioku kills if you have the presentation down, and its 100% examinable. I've had Magicians not know how it was done.

I stand 10 feet away when I do it and the spec has no clue.

I guarantee your wife may have seen through your Kioku presentation, but she could not have known the actual methodology that got you there.

I'm sorry if I came across harsh but TS doesn't compare to Kioku in my opinion.

Kioku is meant for one on one, not sure you can pull that off as easily with TS.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Still waiting on hearing back from some friends about the Thought Reader Card but Kioku is absolutely brilliant. There are several arguments I can make about how it is pretty much impossible to see through with a good presentation, but they would border on exposure. Suffice it to say that when I got Kioku right when it was released and immediately realized I could do it at a great distance, I have yet to encounter anybody who "figured it out".

It's like those people who say one ahead, TT, CT, key card, etc. effects are transparent. To me, it represents a lack of understanding of the importance of presentation and making an effect your own.

That is not to say there are not bad tricks out there, just that, as somebody who has used Kioku since it came out, I have... suspicions when somebody says it is transparent or whatever.

Roth's a nice guy but I guess I am not. I don't feel the need to apologize for sharing my opinions on both the effect and what I feel the weakness is for people who can't pull it off. If you get all hot and bothered, that is your fault, not mine. You shared your opinion, I shared mine. People can disagree without it being personal. Alas, I happen to know that some feel disagreements are personal attacks and while I don't SAY I am sorry to them, I do FEEL sorry for them.

Lem
Ezzet
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweden
391 Posts

Profile of Ezzet
I knew the minute I typed that I thought Kioku was obvious that people would jump to its defense. Which is okay everyone have different opinions and that was mine and if kioku slays people in you performance all wonderful for you.
But too say that youre SURE that it was my presentation that was weak or like Lem said for people who cant pull it off, than I think that's taking it a little too far. Maybe it was my presentation or maybe it wasnt. But you werent there. And its not like Kioku is an einstein theory that's needs to be pulled off. Some effects suits some performers better and some effects suits some spectators better.

Ezzet
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
The truth is nothing is fool proof and sometimes people somehow come up with the right methodology and blurt it out even though they might not be sure how it's done ... specially wives and girlfriends (daughters too in my case).

I could sit here and write a list of effects that at one point or another people have figured out for whatever reason, but that would be a waste of everyone's time. We all know this to be true. Sure, we have effects no one has ever figured out, but it's not always the case with everyone and every effect. **** happens.

Having said all that, Kioku is fantastic and I have yet to have anyone figure it out, can it be done? Of course, and I can tell you someone I performed it for came very close without actually nailing it. I won't go into any more detail....

Thought Reader Card appears to be, in its own way, fantastic as well. I will be trying it tonight before recording a brief, yet unprecedented chi demonstration on video, live from my living room, and under test conditions.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
I can never get a trick past my wife or my 5 and 11 year olds.

First off, the wife doesn't even want to see the trick to begin with, the 5 year old won't stop asking questions until I show her what I did, and the 11 year old won't even turn off her ipod long enough to hear what I'm saying.

Lots 'a fun.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Most wives of the M&M community have supernatural powers. (And just make sure you don't burn any charms they use to protect you (without your knowledge) so that giant stone dragons (or in the film version, a giant stone eagle) comes to crush you)...

i.e. if you can fool the wife, the effect is worth its weight in gold.

Quote:

"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
I have to agree that in terms of presentation, premise, distance, and legibility, Kioku is far better than the Thought Reader Card. I do like the thinking behind the TRC and the attention to potential pitfalls is exemplary; however, my only worry concerns initially showing the card to the participant. It is quite unusual looking,whereas Kioku, like Reflections, looks like something from a psychology experiment. If the mentalist is able to set the appropriate context (which is always an essential ingredient to any performance) then the TRC will be a powerful effect.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
If this is in fact a similar method to the Jim Pace effect, then I wonder how you make the effect 'secure'.
What I mean is this - when I was first shown the Jim Pace one (by Jim, in Blackpool last Feb), even though I was told to find my number and focus only on the object there, I still saw the other words, and realised how it worked instantly. The words were there in front of me, how was I supposed to ignore them or not see them?
I just don't see how this can fly, and I would love to know how it can be made secure. I am SURE that my audiences will see the other words JUST AS I DID. They were just there. Impossible to ignore. How can I make them not see what is there in front of them?

Is this all explained in the ebook? If so I will have to check it out, I just don't want to be let down by it and find out that it isn't a secure method. Based on the Jim Pace one, I would never have entertained the idea of using this method - but I am always happy to be shown to be misguided if I am so!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2008-08-16 19:06, Roth wrote:
I can never get a trick past my wife or my 5 and 11 year olds.

First off, the wife doesn't even want to see the trick to begin with, the 5 year old won't stop asking questions until I show her what I did, and the 11 year old won't even turn off her ipod long enough to hear what I'm saying.

Lots 'a fun.

Must be the same house Roth. Unreal. Smile
Dr.J.Jameson
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dr.J.Jameson
I have had the TRC for about a week now and have been performing it as often as I possibly can (probably around 80 or so times). So what I am about to say will come from the experience that I have had and not from conjecture.

When I first took the card from the package I loved the design of the card and I initially started to wonder if it would raise any suspicion. But I always remember Andy Nyman saying "If the audience likes you, they will forgive you anything." So I decided to go ahead and not to worry about being caught as I think that this can often transmit to the people who you perform for.

After fully reading the ebook I decided to go with the premise that Paul placed forward to get my initial grounding. Where you explain that words are difficult to select randomly etc. Using this spiel I didn’t find a single person who questioned the use of the card.

It puzzles me to think that some of you guys are getting caught out on this. I can understand a spouse or someone you know possibly being able to work it out. Family and friends already know that you can’t read minds (or whatever) so they will always look for the trick.

When you guys perform for strangers who actually believe that you have mind reading abilities are they still working out the method? Are you using the volunteer control that Paul mentions in his book?

I have seen a few comments talking about the repeatability with the same person. For me this has not been a problem either and I've been repeating the effect with the same person and a different object without an issue. Like Paul says in the book you have to give the correct focus and meaning to the numbers and the other management techniques.

For me the reactions towards this effect have been really strong. The strength seems to be in the ability know what the object is without the spectator having to say a single word. From my performances this is what people seem to be ranting about after the effect, along with the mind reading.

I think that this effect is superbly strong for a piece of card that can fit in a wallet. The book that you get with it is well written and to the in depth standard that Paul always delivers and for £15 ($30) it is well worth the money.

Please give this little gem of an effect the practice and scripting that it deserves so that you do not get caught out. I can imagine if you play this effect just as a trick you will have a few misses every now and again, so play it safe and do it justice!

Excellent work Paul, keep it up!

8/10

Dr. J
I am currently studying:

-- Absolute Magic - Derren Brown
-- Naked Mentalism - Jon Thompson
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I will have to admit I looked the card over when I got it, before I read the book. I looked right at EVERYTHING and noticed nothing weird about it. I hope that makes sense.

Nathan
Dr.J.Jameson
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dr.J.Jameson
Yeah same here Nathan, it totally flew past me as well on first inspection.

Dr. J
I am currently studying:

-- Absolute Magic - Derren Brown
-- Naked Mentalism - Jon Thompson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paul Brook - Thought Reader Card (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL