The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is being a "celebrity" the same thing as being a "star"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
A star can be a celebrity but is a celebrity really a star?

These days you can become famous for No reason what so ever and then become a celebrity. But is that the same thing as being a (true) star?

I see on an upcoming season of dancing with the stars, they have Kim Kardashian as one of the star dancers. She is famous for a sex tape and a big fat ash...nothing else.

What do you have to do to be called a star as opposed to being a celebrity?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I always thought to be a star one had to have a lead role in something. Celebrity has gotten to mean 'known by site or reputation by those who have never met the person'. I will sometimes sit and watch some entertainment show with the wife and she gets mad because I keep saying "who is that? What do they do?".
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
As you've said, you can do nothing and become a celebrity; a star has to do something truly spectacular. Stars can fall from grace, and lose their stardom ("He's a fading star") you don't, however, hear the term "fading celebrity."

I suppose the difference is that a celebrity is defined by the recognition they receive from the public while a star is defined by the appreciation and adoration of their work by the public.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Santa, Josh: Good criteria. "Stars," at least in the Dark Ages when I was growing up, were defined by their work (usually, though not exclusively, on the Big Screen).

I think the turning point was the wedding of Diana to Charles in 198...2? 1983? Diana was "famous for being famous," rather than for anything she'd actually done. [Readers: No need to respond with a laundry list of ribbon cutting ceremonies to which England's rose lent her famous blush]. As such, she became the poster child for today's "celebrities," whose fame is the result of notoriety rather than accomplishment.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I'd rather be defined as an "Entertainer".
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The whole thing is confusing to me. I know one gal who is a pretty major star (I knew well before she became who she became) and I just can't see her as anything but the girl she use to be which is far different than what she is like in front of a camera. I like my stars to be unknown to me I guess.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
You pay to go stars at work on screen or tv or theater.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-08-06 11:36, Josh Chaikin wrote:
As you've said, you can do nothing and become a celebrity; a star has to do something truly spectacular. Stars can fall from grace, and lose their stardom ("He's a fading star") you don't, however, hear the term "fading celebrity."

Sure you do, they're on VH1C's "celebrity" shows all the time!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
"Stars" are entertainers with personality, presence and charisma.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Wiki says of Kim:

"Kimberly Noel Kardashian (born October 21, 1980) is an American celebutante/socialite, model, apparel retailer[1] and television personality. She is perhaps best known for her social life, stolen sex tape, and her role on the E! reality show Keeping Up with the Kardashians."

What should they call the show? Dancing with the....
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Celebrity is fleeting and short lived, while real stardom last. Two stars that readily come to mind are Morgan Freeman and Michel Cane. They may not be the leading men; their characters dominate the scenes and often save the movie.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Both in the newer batmans, and those movies were good!
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
A star is someone who can cause people to fall in love with her at first sight. People pay to se them, not what they are doing.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Stars are constantly being persued by the paparazzi, and of course celebrities are constantly being persued by the paparazzi. I hope that answers you question Justin. I also think that if you put lipstick on a pig the paparazzi would be persue her too.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
A has-been celebrity shows up on the Hollywood Squares.

A has-been star can take over a stage just by walking on, and win over the audience with their first word. Think of the old worn-out Judy Garland ... no audience she couuldn't charm with her first song, no show she didn't own just because she was in it.

Another definition I've heard: A star is someone who, if [for instance] if Julie Andrews is in it in whatever capacity, it's a Julie Andrews movie.

And another, about Robert Mitchum: "he doesn't have to say a word to make everybody else look like a hole in the screen."

That's star quality ...

What? Paris WHO?
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
These days, does it matter anymore?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
So then I guess, what you're saying is,

A Star will always be celebrated but a Celebrity isn't always a Star.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is being a "celebrity" the same thing as being a "star"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL