The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Why do you collect cups, balls and wands? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Being a cups and balls addict myself, I have been collecting things related to cups and balls.

So I am also wondering - Why do you collect those cups, balls and wands?

Would appreciate your views. Thanks!
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Good question.

I owned a cheap set of cups for over 20 years and never learned how to perform the trick. I would visit the trick from time to time but never really put in the necessary time to become proficient at it. I simply bought the cups because I assumed every magician HAD to have at least one set. A couple of years ago I decided to actually learn how to use the cups. In the process of getting better at the cups and balls, I realized how truly wonderful this trick is, and I gained an appreciation for everything associated with the trick. Now I have 12 sets of cups, and about half a dozen wands. As my skills grow, so does my appreciation for quality cups and wands.

I sometimes regret waiting so long to get serious about the cups and balls. But I guess there is a time and season for everything in life.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I don't consider my self a collector, however I own 7 sets of cups and 3 wands, the only thing that stops me from getting more is $$$(and my wife).
I belive it is just a personal pride.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
284 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
I have three sets of cups and each of them just oozes personality. It's hard to think of any other prop in my possession that I would pick up and admire on a regular basis.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Because I'm nuts.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
For me, it started as a quest to have about a dozen or so really fine sets of cups. I originally wanted to collect jumbo cups. Then I realized that collecting miniature cups would be interesting.

Suddenly, I realized that by leaving out standard cups, I was omitting a lot of material.

After that, I started a serious study of the history of the cups.

Then I realized I was deluding myself, and discovered I had an illness called "graboneofeverykindofcupintheworldosis."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
They look so shiny together Smile
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Variety, variety, variety! I love being able to take a different set off the shelf, whether it's the mini Paul Foxes of the standard Paul Foxes or whatever, and just rehearsing with something different when I feel like it. Same goes for balls--sometimes I want to use crocheted, sometimes monkeyfist, sometimes little baseballs which I've had made. And the same goes for the wands I'm collecting. Variety's what makes it special for me!

G Smile
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Quote:
On 2008-08-07 12:29, Pete Biro wrote:
Because I'm nuts.

LOL! Nothing wrong with being honest Smile
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
WOW! This is really an interesting read ... getting to know the reasons behind each collection found in their respective cabinets.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
They're pretty. At one point, I had a collection of 6 sets of really nice cups. However, I only used 1. When the Sherwood cups were first released a good friend got an early set and when I held them, I fell in love. I also realized that I would actually use them. I sold all but one set to help finance them. Since becoming friends with Bill and Pete, I've got the bug again. But my goal is to only buy cups I'll actually use. It currently consists of, Silver Engraved Sherwoods, Copper Sherwoods (my favorites) Riser Standards and JES brass. I have a different wand for every set of cups, with more on the way.
magicorik
View Profile
Loyal user
Italia
203 Posts

Profile of magicorik
I love cups and people who love cups.
There is something in them..... expecially if you think that each cup has been designed by someone who had in mind one of the oldest trick.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
I agree with Pepka, because they're pretty. I used to have a huge collection of cups and after selling almost all of them I'm not real sure why I bought so many in the first place. They are addictive and nice to look at and having all the different styles and sizes was fun for awhile but it wore off. I started to look at all the cups sitting on shelves not being used, collecting dust and thought what a waste of $300+. If they aren't being used then sell them and use the money elsewhere. I have a bunch of cups on back order and when they come I'll just sell them as well. I started out with a set of Smooth Copper Sherwoods and a RNT II Big Don and those are all I need.
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
SELL them? You've got to be KIDDING!
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Nope. I didn't say it was easy though. Smile
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
My collection grew out of an interest in the trick itself. I started with a very cheap set, then upgraded, then got interested in the different styles and it snowballed from there. They're attractive props, the nicest ones are hand-made by craftsmen and each style brings something different to the trick.

I also have a modest collection of wands that grew in a similar way. The level of craftsmanship in those is amazing.

I'd be interested to know if there are many female collectors: it seems to me that it is predominantly a 'man thing' - whether it's cups, wands, stamps or beer mats.
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I've only got a small collection -5 sets of cups of various makes, a few chop cups, a few specific "One cup routines" cups, and a number of sets of balls and wands to go with them all.

My collection just sort of grew around my needs and what I could score cheaply on ebay.

There are still a few "grails" I'm questing for - a set of Gazzo/Animal (or RNT II) cups, a set of Harries Bosco cups, a set of Eric Evans woven balls... I'm sure there are others I'm just not thinking of at the moment.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 16:00, Richard Evans wrote:

I'd be interested to know if there are many female collectors: it seems to me that it is predominantly a 'man thing' - whether it's cups, wands, stamps or beer mats.

There are. They collect shoes, hand-bags, clothing accessories, etc. and I believe their collections are huge. If someone were to craft an earing with the shape of a micro-chop cup with a bit of stones embedded... I think it would be in their collection too.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Quote:
On 2008-08-09 07:15, JamesTong wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 16:00, Richard Evans wrote:

There are. They collect shoes, hand-bags, clothing accessories, etc. and I believe their collections are huge. If someone were to craft an earing with the shape of a micro-chop cup with a bit of stones embedded... I think it would be in their collection too.

:lol
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
For variety and a deep appreciation of the fine craftsmanship put into the cups.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Why do you collect cups, balls and wands? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL