We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Tabary or Daryl? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mouke
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of mouke
Hello, everyone!

I have a little problem: I have been doing Daryl's professional rope routine for 2 years. One week ago I bought Francis Tabary's book "Award-winning rope magic of Francis Tabary" and I liked his FISM rope routine. I have to ask you that which one you find better for a big stage. Let's assume that there are over 100 people in the audience. I would like to perform Tabary's routine instead of Daryl's routine now.

If you had to choose, which one would you choose? Daryl or Tabary? Which one plays better in front of the audience? Don't you find Tabary's rope routine a little boring? I need your advice Smile

Thanks for you help!
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Perform the routine that does not bore you.
If you are bored, the audience will be bored.
The one that plays better in front of an audience is the one you do best. Not some one else's act.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
mouke
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of mouke
Ok, thanks Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If Daryl's routine plays well. And the audiences like it... WHY CHANGE?
Don't change for your own pleasure. The audience is what counts.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Why not learn from the Tabary routine to see if there's anything you'd like to alter in your current routine to suit you better.

The Tabary routine is way too long for me. I fell asleep watching it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
As Frank pointed out the Tabary routine is too long, silent, and slow. I'm not crazy about the Daryl routine either, but Daryl's acrobatic knot goes well with words, and if performed right will not only hold their attention, but it will keep them on the edge of their seats. In my opinion no rope routine should ever exceed 5 minutes.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I do Daryl's but over the years found Paul Green's, as found on his In The Trenches DVD, and Whit Haydns' Mongolian Pop Knot are more to my taste. Less going on, more focus, and I think more entertaining.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10804 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Tabary's routine might be long but with all his moves one can create their own routine ..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
I personally enjoy performing Tabary's routines very much. I started working with them about 10 years ago. I suggest using various moves and combining it together to form your own routine. Also it is important to create your own style.

Cheers!
Jeremy
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jeremy & Vinny
I agree with both of you that if you mix, and match the moves yourself you can make Tabary your own.

Most of the best rope tricks that I know today I have learned from Vinny Marini (the Godfather) it would be very foolish for me to start disagreeing with him now.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
He doesn't look old enough to be your god father Al....
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Santa
Vinny and I are practically the same age, but Vinny is much older than me in magician years. I'm only twenty in magician years, and Vinny has been a magician for over 50 years. Vinny excels with cards, coins, rope, and he is probably the best rubber band magician alive.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I do the Tabray rope routine to lots of ooohs and aaahs and even got a standing O with the routine from a lay audience once. The standing O came because it is a great rope routine and not because I am a great magician.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I love Tabary as he is a "minimalist" as I am. The misdirection is subtle and the effects are not expected. I do not like the Tabary clones and those who use parts of the routine.
However, I can say that Tabary has elements of George Sands in his work (who doesn't), and I would love to learn one or two of his moves just to complement some of my own.
As far as a long rope routine, it was because of Tabary, that I dared to break the 7 minute mark for one rope routine. I also like Jeremy Pei's incorporation of Tabary and Sands.
Bottom line, I don't think the thread should be Tabary or Daryl. There is a broader scope of rope to choose from.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you like Tabary you should really try to see Edernac's routine.

He made a living in Europe with one piece of rope. His entire cabaret act... once piece of rope.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-08-15 02:27, Pete Biro wrote:
If you like Tabary you should really try to see Edernac's routine.

He made a living in Europe with one piece of rope. His entire cabaret act... once piece of rope.

And only one line in his act?
They didn't cut him off?
Did they call in the second string?
Was he knots?
There was no end to his rope?

http://www.magischewelt.de/Edernac-Rope.mov

What a great act!!!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Thanks for finding and posting the video of Edernac. What a CLASS ACT. I had forgotten some of what he did. I was lucky to have booked him to work for us at IBM.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Gee, what a treat and a great act.

Thanks Ian.

Pete, I'm jealous.

David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Tabary or Daryl? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL