We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Are Sequins appropriate for today's magicians? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Darryl Hutton
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Darryl Hutton
When I was in my late teens a friend of mine, a pianist asked if I wanted to go with him to see Liberace perform? At first I hesitated and really wasn't too keen on going, but when my friend mentioned that Channing Pollack would be the opening act, I jumped at the chance. My two Doveworker's Handbooks had just been released and I thought it would an excellent opportunity to present them to Channing and his assistant after the show. Channing thanked me and asked if we want to meet Lee....Liberace of course. We were slipped in ahead of 400 screaming fans to meet Mr. Showmanship himself. Liberace signed my program and during his show he did 20 audience requests and numerous costume changes. So wearing a sequined adorned vest for me during my act is to emulate and honour Mr. Showmanship himself, Liberace. I will never be able to hold the audience in the palm of my hand like he did, but I will never give up trying. What do the rest of you fellows think of sequins on costumes? I just can't seen to shed them- that's all.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Very '70s pseudo-Vegas; almost a bad magician stereotype.
If you can make it work for you, though...
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
729 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I have 4 jackets, and 2 of them have sequins on them. I almost always receive compliments on the jackets with the sequins. One is a black tuxedo jacket with blue and gold on the lapel and blue and gold flames on the sleeves with a white rabbit on the back, I wear that one for kid shows, and the other I bought off of Ebay from a circus ringmaster in England. My primary assistants dresses also have sequins on them. Yes, I'll admit sequins are kind of old fashioned, but a lot of folks still enjoy the look, also my show is a comedy one, so I guess that doesen't hurt either.
Bob.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Are Sequins appropriate for today's magicians?

No.

(comedy acts excepted)
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
And yet , and yet ... if Criss Angel wore a sequined costume next week on TV you'd suddenly see all the YouTuber wannabes wearing sequins .

Liberace could carry it off . (most of the time) Very few others could .

Extraordinary performers can do all sorts of things that look silly on the average guy.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Sequins and rhinestones seem to work well for C&W stars. And most of them make a whole lot more money and draw larger audiences than most magicians.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
221 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
I say wear what you like. Doug Henning certainly didn't fit the mold of his time and you will certainly separate yourself from the crowd. These days it's hard to distinguish the performers from the audience in any profession.
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
221 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbzqt7aHeI8&feature=related

Perhaps even giant antennae with your sequins. It works here. Smile
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Man, I'd love to get some good sequin jackets! Do you have any links or sources?

This is show business. It's not going out to the local bar, what do I wear so I don't look like a geek business.

Serious, if you know of any great, bright sequin, sparkly jacket sources, PM me.

Amazing Binky, That is an AMAZING ACT!!!!!! I hope you were not making fun of her. This woman filled the stage with silks, production flowers, a levitation and more! She puts most of the so called "professionals" around here to shame!
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
RJE
Find a colorful jacket you like and visit a dress maker. Sequins and rhinestones can be added. You can help design your jacket and pants if you wish. Western styles always seem to have stitch patterns that can be followed. If you are old enough think Porter Wagoner.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Sequins, by themselves, are neither good nor bad, nor dated. They are just an ornamental material. They are often still used today in formal gowns, where they look completely different from C&W outfits, Liberace, or Elvis, but yet are up-to-date and very elegant.

What made sequins work for Liberace was that his outfits were professionally designed with a view to the time period, his personal style, and his audiences. If he were around today, he might still be using sequins, but probably in a totally different way.

If you want to use sequins, my suggestion would be to find a theatrical costume designer and work with him or her to create a costume. Or look on line for companies that design show apparel. It'll cost you, but then again it's an investment in your image.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
729 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
One of the 2 jackets I have with sequins on them, I recently bought on ebay. It came from a circus ringmaster in England. I don't think it's ever been worn. It's made from a black velvet like material with gold, silver, blue and pink sequins on it. The jacket even has tails. I paid $35.00 for it, including shipping. We just finished a run of 3 a day shows at a fair and I received a ton of compliments on the jacket. You can also find lots of other great looking jackets on ebay under sequin jackets and stage jackets.
Bob.
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
221 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
Not making fun of her. (If I did, she'd make me clean up the stage after her act! Smile )
Point is, anything goes in this business. In early years guys even dressed like chinese men to sell their act as exotic. Sequins do the same thing, they set the performer apart from the "normal" crowd. Let's face it, if you cut people in half and produce birds from your mouth, why would you want to look normal?!
(I like sequins/rhinestones myself but I don't think the antennae would work for me personally.)
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I wear a red and black sequin ringmaster coat for my Christmas shows for children and families . Some of the venues are large stages ,or large common areas, and the sequins look great in those settings, especially if there is stage lighting. My coat was custom sewn by Samantha Moe's shop, mentioned by Mr. Neznarf (love that name). Her team did a great job, and I have received many, many compliments as a result of investing in it. Samantha has a large line of sequined costumes for all types of performers.

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I have sequins on one of my jackets but just along the colar and cuffs. You can see it on my avitar.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2008-08-16 22:08, Father Photius wrote:
Sequins and rhinestones seem to work well for C&W stars. And most of them make a whole lot more money and draw larger audiences than most magicians.

Ah! A ray of reality!

Sequins do hang and snag things. That is a greater problem for magicians than country/western entertainers. (They also do not survive well at the cleaners.)

On stage the more complex your costume, the more complicated it is for your audience to clearly recognize your props. Magic is essentially visual. Don't wreck the train!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Neznarf, that link was just painful to look at Smile. Wow, I'll take over the top for $500.00 please.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
How long does it take her to set up that act?

Bairefoot
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Are Sequins appropriate for today's magicians? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL