The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best advice for nerves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Quote:
On 2008-08-11 08:00, bobser wrote:
All good advice. With regard to Mindpunisher's post I'm reminded of and American Vietnam vet who had spent 15 years in captivity. To keep himself sane he played golf everyday (in his mind) on his favoutite golf course. When freedom came and he was asked to play in a celeb tournament on that same course he accepted the invitation. The story goes that the local press thought this not to be too good an idea, since he'd been caged for so many years and he might not be able to stand throughout the round. Anyway, on the first hole he had a 30 foot put for a birdie which he seemingly sank with ease. A voice from one of the reporters in the crowd shouted out "Man that was some shot", to which the vet replied "Not really, I haven't missed that shot in 15 years".
I guess it's harder to get nervous when you're doing something regularly, even if it's just in your mind.

bobser

That is a real golf technique. For instance if you are nervous about the first tee, you imagine yourself playing it. You imagine every detail. The grass beneath your feet. The birds singing. Walking to the tee. Practice swing. Then a perfect drive. The idea is you do better when you have been through something before. It works and should be useful for performing magic or mentalism.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1582 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
There is some wonderful advice on this thread. It is what makes "The Magic Café" a marvellous resource for all concerned. I really liked Marc Spellman's advice - spot on!
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1582 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
BTW. Good luck with the show Neil. Try and get it recorded, this will be an excellent learning tool & a great memento too!
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Doc_Z
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, NY
229 Posts

Profile of Doc_Z
Quote:
On 2011-07-14 06:30, NeilS wrote:
This is my 600th post and over the years I have gained so much from the Café as well as had contact with many members and which I appreciate.

But one thing I especially valued was the support and advice I was given when I had a fairly big show coming up. In the hope it will be of use to many, I unearthed this rather old thread so that it may be again be of help and value as it was to me at the time.

Neil

Thanks for doing so, Neil. I am seeing this thread for the first time, and it's been a great read. I have nothing new to add, but will "second" the visualization techniques, and the notion that negative nervousness and positive energy are one in the same.

Congratulations on your 600th post, by the way.
DallasCarter
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of DallasCarter
Though many folks here are far more experienced than I,,, I try to calm my nerves by doing very simple (maybe not even that impressive) effects to open. In doing so I get the tone of the audience and can pick out cooperative participants. Usually by that time, my nerves have calmed and I can work on bigger effects. Of course, this is usually in impromptu situations and so your situation may be substantially different but Id thought Id share my insight Smile
StuartNolan
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of StuartNolan
Quote:
On 2011-07-14 11:23, PaulPacific wrote:

-Paul Daniels says we are not being FORCED to perform.. We have NO reason to be nervous at all. We are playing with our toys! We LOVE to do this, so what have we got to be nervous about? Nothing!

I saw Paul Daniels talking about how he used to get really nervous when he first started out then one night he performed in a rough club in the North East and after his act there was a performance by a male stripper who danced on the bar wearing only a pair of leather chaps. Paul said that after that night if he ever got nervous he would just think, "At least I don't have to dance on the bar wearing only leather chaps."

Apologies for putting that image into your minds.
"One should always be a little improbable." - Oscar Wilde
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2525 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Thanks Doc-z for your message.

I am certainly glad I revived this post as I have also learnt a great deal from some of the recent suggestions given. I will remember these for they can all help calm the nerves or, importantly, put things in perspective when the need arises.

Neil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best advice for nerves (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL