The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
So what false shuffles do people like to do with their stacked decks?
christopher carter
View Profile
Special user
660 Posts

Profile of christopher carter
Bill Wisch's "In the Hands Zarrow" is great. It's natural without looking too slick. This summer I hope to spend some time learning the Heinstein shuffle, because to me that looks REALLY great.

--Chris
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Heinstein for me whenever I'm standing. Zarrow for table work with some "up the ladder" work.
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
What's fine with the Osterlind Stack is that either you or your audience can do regular cut, so there is not much need for false shuffle.
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Agreed. It's more for the benefit of my magician friends who already know I'm partial to stacks...

Anyway, I bought the Osterlind stack ebook based on what I read here, and think it's the best in cyclical stacks. Smile

Getting back to the original question Smile , here's the first thing I came up with when I first learned Si Stebbins. It's obviously usable with any stack...

You've probably heard people say the hand is quicker than the eye. You might have even said it yourself. But if you think about it, you know that's nonsense. The eye perceives changes in light and nothing is faster than light. Trust me. I went to MIT. I know how to lie about science...

So the eye sees everything the hand does. The problem is that some things happen too fast to register. At least without training. I've been trying to train my eyes to catch things faster. Would you help me with a demonstration?

Take these cards and cut them. Now take the top card, look at it, and put it in your pocket while my back is turned. Have you done that? Great. Now if I were to go through the deck one at a time, it's pretty obvious I should be able to figure out which card you have in your pocket. But if my theory is correct, all I have to do is slowly riffle the corners like this. Now I've seen all 51 cards, and I know I've only seen three of the 7s. I remember both black ones, so you have to have a red 7. I'm pretty sure... yes, you have the 7 of hearts!

Smile
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Where can the " Bill Wisch's "In the Hands Zarrow " false shuffle be located ?

Anyone... please ?
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
False shuffling seems to risky to me. Granted Im not the best at false overhands and riffles really look too fake (IMO). Going with Osterlind's method and counting on the spectator doing the cuts as sufficient.

Wayne Smile
vratkins
View Profile
Regular user
New Orleans USA
151 Posts

Profile of vratkins
...And yet, at a lecture, Osterlind did a simple false riffle shuffle with his stack and fooled us all. When asked which shuffle it was he said, (all toghther now) "It's in Tarbell".

Victor
Jesper Amstrup
View Profile
New user
Denmark
89 Posts

Profile of Jesper Amstrup
Imho you absolutely have to shuffle the deck. Why wouldn't you?

Whwn laymen play cards the card are shuffled as soon as they come out of the box. It's the natural thing to do. If you can't do a false shuffle..... learn one it's not that difficult and enhances the illusion a great deal.

Jesper
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
As Richard said, "It's in Tarbell"...and it is.
I just do a simple, sloppy overhand shuffle and a riffle.
Don't do anything fancy..spectactors just get suspicious if they see that you can handle the deck better than the average layman can.

Sven
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I received Osterlind's BCS DVD and it is very good......
Ulf Richter
View Profile
New user
Germany
51 Posts

Profile of Ulf Richter
I heartily recommend Ken Krenzel's "Chopper" false shuffle. It can be found in the book "Ken Krenzel's Close-Up Impact". It is very easy to do and cannot be distinguished from a regular overhand shuffle.

Ulf
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Ive been just doing repeated cuts and the slip shuffle, so far no problem. Just got to trust spec to do the cuts correctly before the effect or let them do the cuts in front of me. Smile
Tinesthai
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Tinesthai
Quote:
On 2003-04-06 03:54, CardFan wrote:
Hello guys, I would like to share experiences with regular users, about a stack system that I learned recently. It is really baffling. What kind of effects do you perform? Where did you find these effects? Is there a community of users?
Bye.

So let's refocus !
No one uses this system or what ?

I found I get challenged pretty often at the outset. After displaying the cards and a couple of false shuffles, that is enough for 99%. Every once in a blue moon I get people who accuse me of stacking the deck or memorizing it outright, but I have found that people assume if they can't reverse engineer it, then everything is ok. I think the willingness to let them see that the deck is not a brand-new in order deck is enough, especially before false shuffling.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Krenzel shuffle suggested above is pretty good, the riffle shuffle done by Richard Osterlind is pretty convincing too.

Me, I alternate between false riffle shuffle and some sloppy shuffle depending on the situation.

Basic thing IMO is not trying to overprove that the deck is in a random order, but let spectator assume that is the situation.

And if they tell you you could have memorized the deck when you apparently don't look for any card to give you a clue, that it's just plain nonsense.

I think that's the name of the game... Convincing everyone that you don't look at any card, not even one, thus making difficult for them accusing you of using a memorized deck.

Unless they accuse you of flash estimation + memorization but in that case they would be better magicians than you are! Smile Smile Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
merlin1979
View Profile
Veteran user
Bottling the impossible
346 Posts

Profile of merlin1979
Osterlind's system is the one I use. Nobody has even questioned it yet, whether false shuffled or not - as long as you let the spectator do the last cut or two before choosing their card. It just doesn't occur to most people that you make the force with the cards in their hands.

Merlin
First do no harm...

http://www.impossibottle.co.uk
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2003-11-29 08:14, merlin1979 wrote:
It just doesn't occur to most people that you make the force with the cards in their hands.

Merlin

Ehr... Merlin, if we are talking about Osterlind's Breakthrough, I'm sure you wanted to say "guess" or "divine" the card while the deck is in their hands and not "force" since you don't need to force a card with that deck (unless you want to).
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
GFord
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
53 Posts

Profile of GFord
The Osterlind Stack is incredibly powerful. The Mind Mysteries series demonstrates it thoroughly and effectively.
--GF
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
After using the BCS by Osterlind, I cant find any stronger mentalism effect. Smile
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
In the first video, mind mysteries - the act, he performs the radar deck.

But once he's finished, he gives the deck to the loud guy at the front to examine.

Won't he see the way the stack is setup?
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL