The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Brand new and don't have a clue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13 [Next]
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
Gotta question for everyone out there,

what do you think is your percentage of time spent PRACTICING magic and what percentage on PERFORMING magic. that is if you were to add up all your time spent on magic.

and if you can, please tell how much time you spend on magic. If its possible!

thanx in advance,

jewels
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Jewels,

when I first started magic it was probably ten hours per week practising. (School work and Church prevented anything else). When I got my first show booked this trebled for a couple of weeks.

Now I tend to do 50% practise / 50% performance within about 8 hours per week.

But after going shopping or to a Convention magic does take over my vacations. I've the week off and suddenly I've got out Tarbell and Mark Wilson learning how to do sponge ball routines. Might be 20+ hours this week.

I aslo schedule at least one practice per month for my restaurant stuff or kidshow act if I haven't had any bookings. Also now practising new truiks for my Christmas and Valentine shows.

How about you?
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
Hi magiciansapprentice-

thanx for answering, thought I was all alone here. everyone seems to be out of town. LOL!

Now ur post is exactly what I'm looking for. I know everyone is different, and it's kind of a general question. I am just interested in how everyone goes about their own magic.

for me, when I 1st started, I think I spent every hour of the day messing around with cards and the trick (do as I do). now with school and cheerleading I don't have much time for much else. But, I do still go over the memorized cards in my head a lot. I have to learn the number where each card lies now. it got really confusing trying to think backwards though. right now when I see a number I try and think of the card. my uncle told me when I'm in the car to look at license plates and pick numbers from them and try to remember the card at that number. hate to admit it, but I spend a lot of time thinking about the cards and numbers. pretty much everytime I'm in the car. when I'm walking past the lockers at school I always try to match the number on the lockers to cards.

I guess I'm feeling a little obsessed with it all but I just can't stop thinking about it now. kinda stuck in my head.

wandering if anyone else gets this crazy! I probably should be put in a home or something. LOL!

I hope others will answer.
Feeling Crazy Julianna
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
No, your not crazy jewels. Practicing a certain thing can become an obsession as I am sure many a magician can attest to. It only shows that you are "dead set" on mastering it. If you become frustrated, then take a break, for a day or two. It is amazing, that often times after the break, you will find what you are working on, becomes easier for you.

Believe me, I have gone through the same expeiences before and I found taking a break really helps.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Ideally I would practice 1-2 hours very day, but at the moment my time is consumed by other activities. Additionally I have sustained some (hopefully temporary) nerve damage to my left index finger, making card work (which is all I do) much more difficult.

I perform very seldom, perhaps once every 1-2 months now, and then only a short program of 4-5 effects. So, my performance/practice ratio is very low. If I would perform a lot more, I would still aim for 1-2 hours of practice a day, but more of the time would be spent on new effects.

Now that the cold and rainy season is approaching, I hope to get more time for my magic again. And hopefully my finger will be back to normal soon, it is starting to worry me.

Michael
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
Hi Michael and Molsen-

or I guess now it's Michael and Michael. that's funny! just noticed Molsen you put your name at the bottom.

Thanx guys for talking to me. Molsen, what happened to your finger? I hope it gets better.

magicart thanx for admitting to be as obsessed as I am. LOL! I'm not at all frustrated yet, I just think it's strange that I think about cards as often as I do. If someone would've told me that I would be doing these things 2 months ago I would've thought they were crazy.

I wish more people would write about themselves. Maybe everyone's just a little shy. I like to learn from other peoples experiences.

thanx again guys,

jp
Mimix
View Profile
New user
The Land of Aus
17 Posts

Profile of Mimix
Thanks for that JP,
Ive done a little research now and I guess its time to start the memory motor running. Im not sure whether Im going to like this method but I will give it a try.
How are you going with the stack?

Mim
The simple things in life are often the best
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
Hi Everybody-

So my uncle came over the other night and showed me a trick with 4 coins and 2 cards. it was really cool! I don't remember everything but it went something like this.

he put 4 coins in a square and covered 2 of them. when he lifted the cards another coin was under the card. I couldn't believe it! then there was 3. At the end all the coins moved back to the corners they started from. it was incredible! I think my jaw hit the floor. LOL!

WOW! I think that was the best trick I've ever seen.

has anyone seen something like this. I don't want to know how its done I just want to know if anyone else has seen something close to this.

c ya
jewels
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
It is a classic of magic. It used to be one of my favorite tricks. I actually think I mentioned in another thread of yours that I woke my mom up many moons ago to show her this trick at 4 in the morning and totally messed it up the first time.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Great trick -

I do this one with bottle tops, sugar cubes or coins depending on the setting.

I prefer to use my bare hands rather than the cards as well
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Zenmagic
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Zenmagic
Quote:
On 2008-10-01 21:23, Julianna wrote:

So my uncle came over the other night and showed me a trick with 4 coins and 2 cards. it was really cool! I don't remember everything but it went something like this.

he put 4 coins in a square and covered 2 of them. when he lifted the cards another coin was under the card. I couldn't believe it! then there was 3. At the end all the coins moved back to the corners they started from. it was incredible! I think my jaw hit the floor. LOL!

I agree with you, Jewels. This trick is really cool and looks pretty magical when done right. I think it was usually called the Matrix or Coin Assemblies. There are many versions of it, but I usually use the one with 4 cards and 4 coins.

Anyway, sorry if it's a bit off topic, but any chance you put your video performances back up? Smile

Felix
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3126 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
The general category of effect, where three items gather at a position of a "leader" item, is called an Assembly. It can be done with cards, coins, bottlecaps, sugar cubes, dice, etc.

If it's done with cards covering up coins, it's generally called "Matrix". The one in question sounds like it could be Michael Ammar's version, although it might be somebody else's version depending on the sequence.

If it's done with the bare hands covering up the coins, it's generally called "Chink a Chink" in order to describe the noise that the coins make. I think, because that's such a potentially terrible name, many have preferred to call it a "barehanded assembly". Also, there are "Chink a Chink" sets in which the items being assembled look something like paperweights made out of wood or brass.

For both Matrix and Chink a Chink, the items are laid out in a square, and they eventually gather at one of the corners.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Not to beat this to death, however, I suppose there's no better place than here at the Beginner's Table to get this right:

Andrew's correct, the most general term for effects in which items are laid out in a square and all gather in one corner is an "assembly". Yes, there are other patterns, sometimes more than one, and sometimes they move progressively from corner to corner, but the genreal term is an Assembly, and that applies to Ace Assemblies, as well.

An Assembly of items (other than cards) where nothing is used to cover the items except the magician's hands is usually Chink-a-Chink or a Barehanded Assembly.

An Assembly of four coins where all of the coins are covered by cards (i.e. four cards) is Al Schneider's Matrix. It is the name of a specific effect by a specific person who is still very much alive.

However, the item Julianna described only used two covers. Odd as it may seem, the two cover approach came first, (i.e. before Matrix) and is usually credited to the Italian magician Yank Hoe under the title "Sympathetic Coins". The effect may have been done even earlier with hats and corks.

Julianna's uncle did something even more specific--the coins went back to their starting locations. This is (and David Neighbors will have to step in if I've got this wrong) a "Reverse". (as opposed to a "Backfire"?) There are only a few two-card reverse assemblies published, most notably Bob Kohler's "Return to Spender" and Mark Lefler's "Reversi". Or perhaps Shoot Ogawa has been teaching a reverse like this?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3126 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Ugh. You're correct, Curtis. I should have read more closely, totally glossed over the Backfire (or Reverse) -- couldn't have been Ammar's. And thanks for pointing out that 2 card versions predate Schneider's Matrix.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Aus
Yes Jewels, like ac said it’s a classic of magic (now where is that seem familiar ;-) ) and a search on you tube will bring up a few different versions, just type coin matrix or assembly’s.

Check this one out: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ECszn_Re77I

Magically

Aus
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Juliana,
Please get yourself the book by Henning Nelms (Magic and Shomanship)
Let's not put the horse behind the buggy. One must learn the art before doing tricks. What the heck is a trick anyway. Does that mean that as a circus act the dogs do tricks,or one is to be considered and therefore becomes an intertainer thus performs (magical effects?) Sorry friends I always hated the term do a trick. Money is spent wisely on books first. Please do.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Yes, we all must learn to perform in order to be fantastic magicians. But first learning something TO perform helps. It allows you to form a mental image of what being a magician can mean to you. It provides you with a testing ground where you can experiment and improve. You can perform the few effects ('tricks') you know in a variety of different ways, and at the same time gain an understanding of which personality you want to express, and which type of effects suit that personality. Without knowing some magic 'tricks' first it is a very theoretical and abstract experience reading about showmanship in my opinion.

I personally found that experimenting with performing magic 'tricks' for a year or more primed me for learning and understanding the showmanship/presentational/performance related issues much much better. And, it is a great experience to see that tricks that you have known for a long time suddenly become new tricks again. This helps keep an open mind and re-examine everything with gained experience. Something that is not particular to magic, but rubs off on other parts of life as well, if we don't take it too seriously to notice.

Bah, I am feeling philosophical, and may just have wasted a few seconds of your life.

:o)
Michael
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't wrote in a while, been so busy. Thanx for all the replies while I was gone.

Aus- that is incredible! can't believe my eyes. Now I think, THAT is the best trick I have ever seen. Are you sure it isn't done with camera tricks. LOL! I've watched it like 10 times and I can't get over it. is that you doing the trick?

(Do you guys have any videos doing magic? if you do, I would love to see them). let me know if you have any on youtube.

Hi Molsen- I pmd you, I'm hoping your finger is better.

Thanks Curtis and Andrew- nice to hear from you again, you guys are really smart. Well, all you guys are really smart.

Hey ABC- I do remember you talking about the trick with your mom. that must've been disappointing. Are you able to do the trick now?

I will try to get on more, but please send me links to more magic that you guys do. Cant wait.

Thanx again everyone for all your help,
talk again soon,
jewels
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
After my first bad experience with it, I practiced more and have done that trick and many similar ones hundreds of times. The story with my mom is about 18 years (that hurt just typing it) ago. I started young so I am not that old!
With Christmas coming up I would suggest, like almost everyone else, that you ask your uncle, or anyone else, to get you Mark Wilson's Complete course in magic as a gift. You will not regret it.
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
Boooooooo, No Videos.

Isn't anyone going to show any videos to me?

Hi ABC-Thanx for talking to me and thanx for the advice. I'm glad to hear that you are able to do the trick and your practice paid off.

Talk later,
jp
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Brand new and don't have a clue (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL